Safety deposit box - advice needed please

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
shar

Safety deposit box - advice needed please

Post by shar »

Just about to purchase safety deposit box(es) and wonder if the 'Amazing Laid Hatters' could offer any advice, particularly on:

:arrow: size - I am thinking it would be good to be able to fit an iPad, hubby disagrees

:arrow: digital or plain key lock?

:arrow: one for each bedroom or just one in the main bedroom?

:arrow: tips?

Thank you :D
Expat NZ/Aussies living in Dubai with a holiday home in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka.
annedab

Post by annedab »

We don't have these, but I would suggest that whatever you buy you get something that you either have spares for or have a code that you can give the renters when they have forgotten it :roll:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have just one and it's in the main bedroom wardrobe. It's small but you can get an iPad in it. It is digital, and I send the code in my pre-holiday email. I doubt anyone actually uses it.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Three tips:

1. Digital keypads rely on batteries. So have a backup plan. Mine has a key as well, which I hide in a non-obvious place.

2. If you have a digital pad, make sure its one the guests can set themselves. Its not very secure having the same code used by multiple people and sent by email. Mind you, you also need childishly simple instructions on how to set it, and you need a backup plan when guests leave for home and shut the safe that now has their combination.

3. Have a backup plan (or have I already said that?)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have a digital one, big enough to fit 3 or 4 iPads stacked on top of each other. Bolted into floor of wardrobe in main bedroom. I keep the override keys but then I'm only 20 minutes away. I change the batteries every six months (decent quality, not cheap rubbish). Laminated card on top of the safe with instructions how to set their own personal code.

I always leave it open after guests depart and in the locked position so they have to set their code before closing it otherwise they will stuff everything in, close it and then read the instructions :roll:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Make sure you get one with a override key as guests will leave it locked or forget the code no matter what instructions you leave them. Also remove the batteries when not in use for a long time, or they will corrode. I've just had to drill out the mounting bolts on my old one because of this.

People do seem to use them but then again, one of my places has nothing and no one has ever complained.