Looking for a place in Spain help wanted

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
RP

Looking for a place in Spain help wanted

Post by RP »

Hi
Can anyone recomend an agent or someone to find a property that matches my wish list

Thanks
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Do you have a search area?
RP

Post by RP »

Hi
Somewhere between the east and the south coast I think
Thanks
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

You might have tighten it down a bit more than that, perhaps a triangle between three named places. 'East to South' covers an absolutely vast area even if you are just talking coast, and if your search includes inland then it becomes an almost impossible challenge. Are you looking for a particularly unusual type of property?
RP

Post by RP »

Hi
Murcia area has come up a few times in my searches, I don't mind in land not more than a five or ten minutes drive tho.
Detached with a few acres is the type of place
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Budget?
RP

Post by RP »

About £200k but I don't know much about the fees and annual costs are so it could be more or less, are working on a suggestion ?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Costs are roughly 11% of the purchase price for an established property as opposed to a new build. £200,000 is a fairly healthy budget so securing the sort of property you want is not going to be too difficult. Obviously the further you move inland the better the value - and the more individual the property.

Have you thought about applying to A Place in the Sun? http://www.channel4.com/programmes/take ... in-the-sun
Jacqueline

Looking for a place in Spain

Post by Jacqueline »

Have a look on Rightmove.It might help with decisions on location and what you can get for your money.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Any search has to include sites which appeal specifically to Brits (bargains possible due to Brits returning to Blighty desperate to sell) and Spanish sites (more likely to feature character properties with land and not identikit villas on small plots). Refining a search area is the first step, and realistically one cannot do that without getting out there and exploring. My place I purchased from a small village agent who doesn't advertise anywhere except his own almost-hidden-from-public-view web site! The only reason I found it was having identified quite a tight search area I was able to drill down in considerable detail.
RP

Post by RP »

Hi

I have looked on rightmove and other sites its a bit overwhelming with the amount for sale, so thought I would look for help.

11% cost seems huge that could be £20k is that agent fees and searches ?

I did think of a place in the sun, but its really not me to go on telly.

I did read about these small local agents I will have to try and find a list.

I noticed that there seems to be a lot of bargains, claims of huge discounts, offers to swap properties for places in the UK or even part ex swaps for classic cars or boats. It does all sound very desperate. Is it a bad time for sellers at the moment?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

11% is standard and you have to factor that into your budget. It's lower for a new build but to my mind an individual property is better value in the longer term. Avoid 'fire sales' at all costs - there are so many distressed properties in big developments being offloaded by banks in repossession you will probably have to wait a decade or more to cover your outlay. Go for something one off and do not be tempted by something that appears to be a huge bargain. There is value to be had in Spain, but *bargains* come with strings, and they may be strings that throttle you.
RP

Post by RP »

I agree an individual property is better but a bargain should be ok if I have a good lawyers

I wont be in a position till the end of the year so I have plenty of time to find one

Thanks for your help
lorca

Post by lorca »

RP - try looking at http://www.kyero.com/

They do a sweep of many of the properties on offer from a wide range of agents

Good luck!
If not now, when?
RP

Post by RP »

Thanks