Bedding - Top Sheet or No Top Sheet?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I already have the bedspreads passed down through the family. very very old and hand made. They brighten up what is a magnolia painted room with ivory bedding!

We do have that transitional period, spring and autumn where the light duvet is either not enough or too much

Letting agent taking photos next week, they'll brighten up the room for them, then they'll pack away for now but was thinking of again making them available say between mid/late September through to say may/june.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

In Florida, we have a top sheet, a light weight cotton beadspread and fleece throws to put on top in Dec-Jan.

In Sweden I have a light weight down duvet and bag style cover + fleece throw when needed.
Actually the same set up as in our own home. We don't have the space to have summer and winter duvets. In winter I prefer two lighter duvets on the bed. Much more flexible (I'm usually cold when I go to bed but later on I will throw off one of the duvets.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

We are in the UK and supply just a duvet no top sheet. We have only once been asked for a top sheet in advance and as we use flat sheets that was easy to arrange.
We leave small blankets on the bottom of the beds but they are rarely used.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

akwe-xavante wrote:I already have the bedspreads passed down through the family. very very old and hand made. They brighten up what is a magnolia painted room with ivory bedding!
My heart is sinking. If they have any emotional value to you, please don't put them in your property. They will have no value to your guests and sound as if they could easily get damaged. As they are an unnecessary item they're likely to get chucked on the floor and that doesn't sound like where you want them to end up.

I understand the need for colour, but that's why many of us use cheap throws and cushions. Easily washed and replaced if required and no heartbreak involved if they get ruined.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Casscat wrote:I think from John Lewis - I will go look....

EDIT: Here: http://es.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-waff ... lour=White They're great. Don't recall paying that much though!

Thanks Cass,
looks lovely, I see it's made in Portugal... :D
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Starting to look as though the stronger opinion is to just give duvet's only whatever the time of year.

But perhaps have both duvets present for say a month or 6 weeks in spring and autumn?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We use 4 seasons duvets on all our beds, guest beds and our own. They're made up of two bits that can tie together, in our case a 200g and 300g (not sure what that equates to in tog value - 4 and 9 I suspect). In the hot season we use the 200g on its own; in spring and autumn we use the 300g; and in winter we use both.

We store whichever bit isn't in use in vacuum bags.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I provide a summer weight & autumn/spring weight duvet for each bed- I always intended leaving a top sheet in the wardrobe - but am not sure whether they are there at the moment!

I happened to have a crocheted blanket/bedspread and a warmer bedspread for the second bed so leave these folded on the beds - outside the summer.

I have a lovely white cotton bedspread too - but this kept getting dirty from suitcases & it now lives in the wardrobe!
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Suitcases on beds is my pet hate :cry:
Fleur
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Fleur wrote:Suitcases on beds is my pet hate :cry:
Yes. Me too. Have had duvet covers ruined by snags.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We had duvets (with freshly-laundered covers) but no top sheet. Then we had some guests who wriggled underneath the bottom sheet, using it as a top sheet, before complaining there was no bottom sheet!

What do you do?

Mols :roll:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

Moliere wrote:We had duvets (with freshly-laundered covers) but no top sheet. Then we had some guests who wriggled underneath the bottom sheet, using it as a top sheet, before complaining there was no bottom sheet!
While our kids (who should know better from their holidays in Florida) wriggled between the top sheet and beadspread when we stayed in an apartment in Rome two years ago! :shock:

You can't win, can you?

And I have to second Nemo's opinion - don't put heirlooms in your rental, it only makes for heartbreaks!
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
aasta

Post by aasta »

We also have winter and then summer duvets, no top sheets. Top sheets are provided upon request, but rarely asked for.
aasta
half pint

Post by half pint »

We also have four seasons duvets , so can chop and change depending on weather and/or guests and a fleece throw at the end of every bed that can be used as an extra blanket.
But I feel that if you are going to a different country on holiday, than part of the experience is to embrace the differences between cultures and not to expect that what is normal at home, is the way it is done elsewhere. So do what is usual in your part of the world, don't apologise or try to cater for different nationalities and hope that your guests appreciate that they are getting an authentic experience.