update on licences across Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

update on licences across Spain

Post by costa-brava »

The latest resume has come out from Spain-hol http://www.spain-holiday.com/rentalbuzz ... -by-region
Not much joyful news really and there are a lot of gaps and grey spots but it is still the best all round, region by region review. The worst point is that Andalucia are still sitting on their thumbs.
Hope the link works.
PS I posted this in error in another section. Now it's in the right place.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I just received my license today for Valencia. As I'm not in Spain often I paid someone to do it for me. There was a form to fill in with only limited details. I paid a small fee and a week weeks later I receive a certificate with a number on it.

It simply leaves me wondering what is the point? Nobody has inspected my property so the license has no benefit to either owner or guest. I really don't understand the arguement that this beaurecratic exercise is beneficial to the rental industry.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I'm trying to get one, its driving me mad, spain don't make it easy. I don't have a certificate of habitation so have to get one which will cost at least 500euros as architect has to come out to check all ok, and solicitor will charge 150euros for one.................
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

roxytoo wrote:I'm trying to get one, its driving me mad, spain don't make it easy. I don't have a certificate of habitation so have to get one which will cost at least 500euros as architect has to come out to check all ok, and solicitor will charge 150euros for one.................
I didn't have that either but it was accepted without it. I just showed the extract from the land registry, which luckily I'd requested online myself a couple of years ago.
costa-brava

cedula de habitabilidad

Post by costa-brava »

ROXYTOO That sounds way over the top. If you have a big house it will cost more but if you Google "cedula de habitabilidad valencia" the online punters are offering about €80 average. It'll be double that for a local guy. It's usually done by an "aparejador" sometimes called "architecto tecnico". That is surveyor in English. With the crisis some young architects (as in real architect) have been reduced to doing this too but it is an extremely competetive market. €500 sounds way over the top and I don't know what the lawyer has to do with it.
The surveyor comes out to check the ratios of light to floor space, toilet facilities and intervening spaces, ventilation for gas, electric fittings (visual inspection). For this inspection it should cost €100 max and then he does the "tramite" which is sending the papers to the department of industry, another €40 perhaps.
And don't feel so bad about it. It should cost no more than €150 total and it lasts for 15 years. Spanish law now requires that you have a cedula for renting and if you want to sell it at a later date.
The only hiccup comes if he finds something that doesn't comply with current European standards. If it's something small he'll politely recommend but if it's bigger he'll insist you put it right. I had to install a bigger capacity water heater in one house and put an intervening door between toilet and living room in another.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Kevsbored wrote
"I just received my license today for Valencia. As I'm not in Spain often I paid someone to do it for me. There was a form to fill in with only limited details. I paid a small fee and a week weeks later I receive a certificate with a number on it."
How much was the small fee for the licence?
How much did it cost to have a representative do it?
And to Roxytoo I forgot to mention. If your property is less than 15 years old you already have the certificate of habitation. It's sometimes called "primera ocupacion" and if you bought the property new in the last 15 years you should have it somewhere. And if not the town hall should be able to give you a duplicate for a few euros admin fee.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

costabravarent wrote: How much was the small fee for the licence?
How much did it cost to have a representative do it?
And to Roxytoo I forgot to mention. If your property is less than 15 years old you already have the certificate of habitation. It's sometimes called "primera ocupacion" and if you bought the property new in the last 15 years you should have it somewhere. And if not the town hall should be able to give you a duplicate for a few euros admin fee.
The total cost was 90 Euros but I don't know how much of that was for the license itself. My property was originally build in the 1970s and when I asked my lawyer if the certificate of habitation existed in 2007, when I bought it, she said no as it was not required. She also added that even if it had existed at the time of purchase, it would have expired now in any case.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

No they just won't do it where we are. Its a money making exercise . We bought in 2002 without one. To sell you need a new one which around here, costs about 500euros. The fee earlier, 150euros, by the solicitor was to obtain the renting licence. I despair!! I was told by the town hall in the spring that it wasn't needed for renting, solicitor won't have that and says we need it to get one
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

kevsboredagain wrote:
costabravarent wrote: The total cost was 90 Euros but I don't know how much of that was for the license itself
There's no charge for registration.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

I must confess I've been procrastinating over this all year and still haven't registered. I intended to submit my own forms (oh the joy of struggling with the language) just not convinced it's the finished article yet and wondering if I really want to be on someone's initial hit-list should other annual charges begin to appear, leaving me at a disadvantage to owners who never bothered.

Spain-Holiday dot com's text says "Once you have your inscription number, it must be included in all advertising you do for the property. Failure to include your inscription in your advertising could lead to fines for both owner and advertising channel" and yet despite advising owners to register I note they're perfectly happy to advertise properties without it (as are all the other listing sites so far as I can see?), hence if they're not concerned at the risk of multiple fines then why should I be?

kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would have thought the decision to get one or not would depend on the law in your particular region rather than whether you can be bothered to get one or not. I personally see zero value in them but it became mandatory for me and to find and fine me would be simple.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

I'm not saying I wont ever register just that I wont be busting a gut to do so as I'm thinking the fraternities that are willing to list thousands of unregistered properties without any fear will be far higher in the pecking order that's all.

CSE

Post by CSE »

Another question is do you want to be looking over your shoulder to see if the law is or has ought up with you? Running without registering (if required in your area) is going to mean that.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

No surprise there that Andalucía is the dunce of the class. The problem is that we had regional elections followed by a result of no overall control by any one party and now everyone is out campaigning for the national elections. Who know when it will happen. In the meantime the number of units for rent completely unregulated increases week-by-week. All people can do is use the draft regulations published by the Junta which are at least pretty sensible.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Same situation here Roxy....moneymaking exercise. We didn't realise that cedulas only lasted for 10 years (neither did our Spanish neighbour!) and we now have to get it renewed as we want to get mains water (instead of the well).
The architect didn't even go in our house. The neighbour brought him round after he had been to theirs and he just stood in the garden.

By the way...we got our licence without anything being mentioned about the cedular (and it was out of date).

The only issue here seems to be about having a certain number of bathrooms for guests and that it has to be detached. It really is just about making money. They have no idea what would be needed in a rental property for todays market.
No licences are given for apartments or terraced houses and if you have a detached house in a gated community then you have to get neighbours permission (but there's not many of that type here)

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!