Welsh Tourist Board Ratings

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Cymraes

Welsh Tourist Board Ratings

Post by Cymraes »

What is the opinion on these? Although we are currently with an agent I will want to go independent in a year or so.

Is it worth getting rated now?

And are you able to ignore it if you don't like the rating you are given? I'm having some trouble at the moment finding out exactly what the criteria is for each category but although a period farmers cottage will never be at the luxury end of the market I'd not be happy with less than 4*.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We were rated 5 star and got 1 booking through Visit Wales. Not worth the outlay in my opinion.

A client's immaculate rental was rated 2 star as they didn't have from memory lined curtains. There is a list of what you need on their site to achieve stars.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I didn't bother to go down the route in England as I wouldn't have got more than 3 stars because of the criteria. Here's the Welsh criteria.

http://gov.wales/docs/drah/publications ... cateng.pdf

Here's the main page with all the links http://gov.wales/topics/tourism/grading ... s/?lang=en
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Star ratings can be useful and can attract business, direct, by giving an extra stamp of certainty about quality.

However, I have been around some 5 star visit England places that I would feel cheated, had I been a guest. In one case, in South Herefordshire, the decor was pure 1987 Laura Ashley, complete with those framed posters of 'abroad' behind glass. In terms of decor and design, it was close to museum interest and quality. In terms of value, it was a cottage we could not dream of taking on.

The Star system has progressively lost its use. 20 years ago, it was highly significant. Today with, sometimes, well over 20 pictures of the holiday cottage, it is much a matter of wysiwyg.

Feedback has become almost as important as the pictures. Combined, worrying about stars is a very minor affair. My gut feeling is that the Star System and its inspections may soon be a thing of the past.

Technology has largely made it redundant.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting