Running costs v Captial Purchases

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
BigM

Running costs v Captial Purchases

Post by BigM »

So we have our first two bookings for our holiday let in Devon this month. We are remote landlords, so using a letting agency who seem to be on the ball.

I am looking at doing the accounts myself as part of my annual self-assessment - I work part-times self-employed. Is there a list anywhere which distinguishes between what would be seen to be a running cost (I imagine toilet rolls and the like) and what would be capital expenditure? I may yet get an accountant to help, but I do have the time to do the accounts myself - I could just do with finding a training course or guide.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Just a quick answer. I have histroically found the HMRC website very helpful - when you can eventually find the right documents.

One way to find the docs is to do a dummy run online self assessment, and at each step of the way, you get links to help pages. You do not have to complete the assessment and can go back and change it completely at any time up to clicking "submit"
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !