Bedspreads/quilts/etc

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CostaBlanca

Bedspreads/quilts/etc

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,
What do you do or should I say what do your clients do with bedspreads when night temperatures are high? I have noticed that they are pushed off the beds and then perhaps trodden upon all week. I have some replacements available but not for all beds. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms but when temperatures are in high 20´sºC, all you need is a sheet to cover you. I was thinking of not putting on the lightweight bedspreads, especially if children are staying. What do think or does everybody have AC installed.

Maria
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I only put the bedspeads out in cooler weather; the rest of the time, the beds simply have summer weight duvets - with white covers! So I have been reading the posts on the subject of yellow stains on sheets etc with concern and interest, and can't wait until I'm next there to see what havoc this summer has wrought on our bedlinen!

I still can't believe how careless people can be when the property is not their own. Throws, sheets, cushions, towels, they're all fair game it would seem. :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
roxytoo

bedspreads

Post by roxytoo »

We bought new cream bedspreads in May and I was told by my cleaners that they were filthy and had to be washed by end June as , as Maria said, they had just been pushed off and left on the floor and then been trodden on!! I then said take them off, fold them and put them away in the cupboards till Nov. Dosn't make the place look at all nice but what the hell! Can't understand people, when I have stayed in other places in Spain the first thing I do is take them off , fold them and put them in the cupboard!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Me too Meishka! :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We have lightweight quilted bedspreads for Summer. Having them on the beds is just for cosmetic effect as it is too hot to cover with at night. Most of the time they're are pushed off the beds (rarely ever folded and put away in cupboards) :roll: , so on every changeover they are laundered whether used or not, because they are always creased. :evil:

However, having a bed with just sheets doesn't look right...bedspreads give the room a 'finishing' touch...even though it's too hot for them to be used....does this make sense!! :?
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

I don't know whether this will be of any interest but we have just returned from holiday in La Gomera and the villa we rented had the beds dressed with white cotton sheets with a bright fabric runner draped diagonally from top to bottom. These were co-ordinated with the other soft furnishings in the bedrooms (striped in one bedroom and flower patterns in the others) and looked really pretty.
They were much easier to fold away as they didn't take up much room in the cupboards and I guess would be easier to launder too if people just pushed them off the beds.
Just a thought for you lucky people in warmer countries. (I'm actually shivering as I type this as have just come in from outside and its cold!)
it's life Jim but not as we know it
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm having a rethink about this at the moment.

I provide summer duvets on the double and king size beds and medium duvet covers on the twins.
As we have air conditioning I thought that would be most suitable for single beds (no body warmth!) for the summer.......however - because most of the guests won't pay for a/c (even though its only £12.50 per person per wk!) I have had a lot of occasions when they have taken the duvet cover off the duvet! Presumably to use it as a sheet? Anyway - the result is the duvet gets filthy.
I have stopped trying to get into guests minds as I always fail miserably........I've no idea why they treat things the way they do.

So - I have decided to get 2 single summer quilts. I have just found some in La Redoute for only 9 euros.....what a brilliant price!
All I have to wash is fitted sheets, duvet covers and pillowcases.........that's enough for me!
But I notice with other rentals houses an awful lot do have a sheet and bedspread. I thought I'd done things wrong, but now am not so sure.

By the way that tip from Sunnybynature is a good one. You could have quite a few run up by a machinist so they're easy to replace

Mouse
x
enid

Post by enid »

I have white bedding and in the Spring and Autumn I add a polar cover in a plain colour to match the bedroom. I agree this always gives a bit of a lift to the look of the beds. In summer I don't put them on but I like the idea of the material strip - that could solve the problem nicely - thank you.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Sunny, Nice idea with a patterned fabric runner on plain bed sheets, think I will try that.

I had already begun to fold the bedspreads and lay them like a runner on top of the beds. This works well enough with adults but not so well in children´s rooms.

I always use top and bottom sheets even if using a duvet as it saves wear and tear on the duvet cover which is a much more expensive item than a sheet.

Thanks for all the replies - I thought that it was just me who had these problems!

Maria
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I've got summer duvets on all the beds and decided not to put out the sheets this year ( they are in a store cupboard).I have also taken the bed spreads off the single beds but kept them on the 2 doubles cos I fink thay look sufistycatid, innit? People seem to have appreciated this and have looked after them ( they are hand made lace ones). I do have spares in case ! as these coves are a heavy lace they sometimes get thrown to the end of the bed but people do seem to actually drape them over the bottom of the beds ( both beds have head and feet boards),so maybe because they are lightweight they have survived? :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've taken off the duvets, and left the quilted bedspreads on with a flat sheet. Although we face south, the covered terrace means we don't get the sunshine in the place all that much, so it doesn't get all that hot.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I use a bottom sheet and a duvet (with cover) only, no top sheet and no bedspread. I'd rather my duvet covers wore out than I had another 22 sheets to iron every week.

I understand the problem in warmer climes though, but I hate having only a sheet (which is presumably clean) and then a bedspread, which probably hasn't been washed in weeks. I know this is what hotels do, but at least if you use duvet covers thay are always cleaned between guests.

We stayed in a villa in Spain last year which did this, it was October so we really needed the covers but it wasn't pleasant. I'm thinking of going back to the same place for Easter next year, but I will be taking my own duvet with me.

Ju
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I found a nice cream bedcover which looks like waffle cotton but is actually poyester. It dries really quickly and so is easy to wash between guests. It doesn't even need to be ironed. It's been a godsend.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I understand the problem in warmer climes though, but I hate having only a sheet (which is presumably clean) and then a bedspread, which probably hasn't been washed in weeks. I know this is what hotels do, but at least if you use duvet covers thay are always cleaned between guests
Our bedspreads are laundered on every changeover....I could never leave used bedspreads for new guests..ugh!

Kayley...where did you buy your bedspreads from? I have light weight quilted ones...but they are bulky and have to be sent to the lavanderia each week.
enid

Post by enid »

Kayley...where did you buy your bedspreads from?
Yes do tell!!!!