Duvets and other bedding options!

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
MissP

Duvets and other bedding options!

Post by MissP »

I've had a good search and can't find anything on here about this so thought I'd start my own thread :-) We're in the final stages of buying a place in Spain - primarily for our own use initially, but with half a mind to rent out at some point. We're keen to wait and see what Murcia decides around their short term rentals policy before making any firm plans!

Anyway I'm starting to plan furniture etc and other important items - such as bedding. We're going back at the end of November and I know it will be fairly cool of an evening and overnight - am I right in assuming that sheets won't be enough? Should I assume we'll need to have a duvet for winter months?

I've been there off season before but always stayed at hotels etc and didn't pay much attention to the sheet/duvet situation! I'd appreciate any advice as to what you provide - do you just add a blanket or two in winter or switch to something more substantial?

Thanks
MissP
MissP

Post by MissP »

Ah it appears I didn't use the search facility properly as I've just found a thread in the 'starting out' board. It was aimed at UK letters but a few posts were from foreign locations and it appears sheets and blankets are the way to go!

I'd still appreciate any comments and advice you might have :-)

Thanks.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I'm not sure which thread you're reading but we've always gone the duvet and sheet route.
viewtopic.php?t=24398&postdays=0&postor ... ht=bedding
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We only rent out the cottage from late March to mid November maximum - and for most of that time, a top sheet and duvet cover (in lieu of bed spread) is more than adequate. However, I do leave a couple of blankets in bags in the wardrobe - a "normal" blanket and a lighter honeycomb one. Only at the very beginning and possibly at the very end of our season would I stuff the duvet into the cover!

But then, this is sunny Cyprus, not Spain. :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Depends on your property. Many in Spain are designed more for hot weather than cold so in winter they feel colder than you would expect. That's certainly what I have found with my own place and others rented while searching.

I ended up throwing away all the duvets to stop guests using them when it is 35C and then having the AC set to minimum no doubt. I just use some extra blankets when staying there myself in winter and don't rent it during that period.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Ever since we started we have always opted for the sheet and blanket approach with a high quality top bed cover from Zara Home. Up here in the mountains and without aircon, the temperature at night can vary so widely throughout the year that we haven´t found a duvet solution (apart from high quality feather which we use at home) that would work. The blankets we found are light, quite thick and easy to wash. Depending on personal preference people can layer them up depending on the time of year whereas a duvet is an either/or choice.

We have opted for them on the coast too and when we stay there ourselves have found them very comfortable.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Both my apartments re currently occupied - guests are still using sheet and light bedcovers but I've left them with duvets with cotton covers, which they can help themselves to. The shoulder seasons are a bit unpredictable, but at least I know they won't be cold. Later on in the winter, the duvets are definitely required and are very cosy - no-one's ever complained of being too hot or too cold at night. We have heating by aircon units, too.

I don't provide blankets as the duvet covers are easier to wash. I'm a clean freak and I don't fancy the prospect of providing several clean blankets every single week.

There are also fleece throws in the the apartments which are changed between guests if they've been used.
Vince

Post by Vince »

We live here all year round and basically, come winter-time it'll be thick duvets and constant trips to the ferretia ( sp? ) for bottles of gas for the mobile heater things. Not to mention a couple of deliveries of wood. The fireplace isn't there for show, you know ;)

I love summer in Spain, but not looking forward to the 4-5 months of bloody cold that's coming up.
lorca

Post by lorca »

Vince wrote:We live here all year round and basically, come winter-time it'll be thick duvets and constant trips to the ferretia ( sp? ) for bottles of gas for the mobile heater things. Not to mention a couple of deliveries of wood. The fireplace isn't there for show, you know ;)

I love summer in Spain, but not looking forward to the 4-5 months of bloody cold that's coming up.
Same here in Andalucia - it never gets below zero here but the winter nights can be chilly. We have traditional village houses and don't have central heating. We provide eco-electric wall heaters in the bedrooms, plus gas heaters and a woodburning stove in the living areas.

Duvets from Oct until the end of April. Extra blankets available.

A lot depends on the type of property/heating you have
If not now, when?
MissP

Post by MissP »

Thanks for your answers everyone! It's all really useful.

As it will just be us for now, I'll go down the duvet route when we arrive end-November. I can just use the cover when it starts to get warmer! But I've never been a big sheets/blanket fan.

If and when we decide to rent it I might reconsider - potentially alongside talking to local management/cleaning companies about the most cost-effective approach.

But for now I will be prepared for our new spanish home to be at least a tad chilly of a night time, and probably invest in a portable heater too!!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Take an electric blanket with you. We've got a dual control one, so I can have it toasty while OH has it tepid! That, and a lightweight bedspread works well for us. Before that, it used to be blankets and bedspread, so OH could fling covers back to cool off as necessary. He hated when I tried duvets - for 2 reasons. Firstly, it appears I'm a duvet-hog :oops: and secondly, even when I wasn't hogging all the duvet, OH could not easily regulate his temperature. For us, the 'lekky blanket is the best solution - controllable warmth without weight.
MissP

Post by MissP »

Ooh I like your thinking PW!! :-)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

MissP (and anyone else!)
If you do get an electric blanket, whether dual control or not, double, king or single, keep it clean by placing it inside a duvet cover, with the cables and controls hanging out the opening end. That way you don't have the hassle of measuring it before washing, washing and drying it carefully so as not to damage the internal wiring, and ensuring it dries back to size and shape! :shock: :lol:
MissP

Post by MissP »

Top tip!! Thank you again PW :-)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Just realised most electric blankets seem to be UNDER blankets - ours is an over blanket, hence the suggestion for putting it in the duvet cover to keep it clean - just in case anyone was a little confused! :oops: :lol: