no bookings

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Aoucarde

no bookings

Post by Aoucarde »

No bookings for the end of August and September.
Has anybody any suggestions for web-sites I could use for last minute bookings......or any other suggestions as to how to fill my five gites.
Have used owners direct (very good ) and Chez Nous (expensive and too big)
Help needed
A-two

Post by A-two »

Hi Aoucarde
I'm not in your region of the world, so this is general ideas, rather than specific to your area, where others here are more experienced.

First, your place looks lovely, but you're only advertising on two listing sites? That doesn't sound enough to me, unless you have significant SEO ranking for folks to find you without any advertising. So if you're short of bookings, get it out there on more listing sites immediately, including the freebies and also run an ad on eBay!

Second, start to discount and put it in big red letters across the top of all your ads and your own website. Tell people there's a bargain to be grabbed. Doesn't have to be much, maybe only five euros. Yes, I think you ought to be quoting prices in that currency.

Third, (more of a long term goal), are you sure people are finding your website at all? Do the paid listing sites have links to your site? Have you checked your SEO position for key phrases? This is a good reason for telling people exactly where you are located on your website, so that those who are looking for your location actually find you.

"90 minute drive from Toulouse" is a big area when drawn in a circle in any direction. Is that North, South, East or West? And anyway where is Toulouse? Does your website tell me? How am i supposed to know? In fact, where is the "Gers Region of France"? Sorry, haven't got as clue or how big an area. Are you aiming to draw only people who already know all about the area, or people who would like to discover it for the first time?

I'm in New York, which is one heck of a big place, equivalent size to the whole of the UK. Some people think of it as towering skyscrapers, others think Niagara Falls and ski slopes, while a few might think vineyards, Great Gatsby mansions and white sandy beaches. How many would have the right impression of where my place is located just by the Town name? A minute fraction, not even 1%, so I show them a map, which they can zoom out to include the whole of America if they want. Then they get their bearings and think, yes, I have heard of The Hamptons, but I never really knew where it was, and now I see that I could do Manhattan AND that place in a day. Or they think, uh-oh, I definitely couldn't do Niagara Falls AND that place in a week, it's too far away. People need that kind of context when planning their trips don't they? Just a wild guess, but I definitely think that could be contributing to the problem.

Or it could be something as silly as bad weather this year driving people further afield. Or appealing only to a certain crowd who never go on vacation at the end of August and September, I don't know. It could be any number of things, all of them, or only one of them, but it IS at least one of them.

Others in your area may be able to pinpoint the problem more accurately, and there are lots of factors to think about, but one thing is universal. If you don't change anything, nothing is going to change, so definitely add more listing sites TODAY, and also consider changing other things AS WELL.

There are many reasons why a property may be negatively impacted and the trick is to start changing things until the wheel start turning again, THEN STOP.

Good luck!
Last edited by A-two on Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I agree 100% with Joanna - try Ebay and get yourself on more sites. I take it you went with the brochure of Chez Nous? If you don't renew with them, you could spend the money on getting your property listed on several good listing sites such as Holiday-Rentals.com, Frenchconnections.co.uk and visitfrance.co.uk.
Many of them have last minute special offers you can also list on.
Chez Nous works for some, but the brochure is enormous and their website only listing isn't very good IMHO.
enid

Post by enid »

All above very good advice - I would add some more photos of each gite too - interior shots of all rooms especially bedrooms would help make up minds perhaps. Good luck.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Aoucarde, I'm Jane, and have a property in the Gers too. Nice to have a neighbour from the same department on the forum!

I would agree with all that has been said, and particularly the point Joanna made about the map. The Gers is growing in popularity but is still unheard of by the vast majority of people, which is good in many respects of course, but not for the likes of us!

Log on to our website and have a look at our map - I got permission to use it from the Gers tourism people, and it's quite handy, as it shows our position within SW France, plus the main communication links. Our web designer then colour coded it to match our site, and popped our house on it for us.

The map on the tourist site has since been changed to a more detailed version - hope this link works, it should bring you to it straight away: http://www.tourisme-gers.com/fr/organis ... etails.asp If not, persevere, you may need to do a bit of trawling!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Marion

Post by Marion »

Try Homelidays free trial. That should bring in some enquiries.

I agree with all that's been said. I have always found Holiday Rentals does well for me.

Good luck.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
SmileyT

Re: no bookings

Post by SmileyT »

Aoucarde wrote:No bookings for the end of August and September.
Has anybody any suggestions for web-sites I could use for last minute bookings......or any other suggestions as to how to fill my five gites.
Have used owners direct (very good ) and Chez Nous (expensive and too big)
Help needed
Hi Aoucarde,
I am in my first year of gite rental and have been amazed at the response. I needed 10 weeks to cover my running costs and have this year got 20. The best site to date has been without a doubt for me holidaylets.net. But I have found that I get lots of enquiries but only get confirmations once I have directed them to my own web-site so they can see all there is to offer.

I agree E-bay as a last resort and sneak your web-site in to the wording but I suspect you are too late for August now. Good luck.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Teeroe, nice to have another Midi-Pyrenean on board! Good to have such positive feedback about Holiday Lets, for whom I have a particular soft spot!

A personal website definitely helps swing the balance, I agree - though I think you may be undercharging a bit too, which is what a lot of us do in the first year - anxious to be booked after the expense of buying and getting set up; one of the signs is the diary getting filled up too quickly! You'll get braver and be more comfortable about toughing it out - ie waiting for the bookings to arrive more slowly over a longer period. See what happens after the first flurry of inquiries - the main period of activity is after Xmas as you've probably found (though people are beginning to plan earlier and earlier); if there is still a lot of availability closer to the main holiday season you can always reduce your prices a shade then.

It's a delicate balance, and after 2 seasons I'm still not sure I've got it right yet. Proably soon to find out! :?
Mme Charlotte

Post by Mme Charlotte »

Hi Aoucarde,

I've found Holidaylettings.co.uk to be the best so far for me, if you're not already with them you could give them a try. There is an option to sign up with them and pay quarterly, and as you can cancel after 3 months - it might be worth it. The real bonus is you can add late deals very cheaply and that could see you nicely through Sept.

OR... try Frenchentree.com you can list for free there, it's not brought me any response when I've tried it in the past, but if you just want to throw up some last minute availability it might work...?

Hope it all works out.
www.gites-en-france.info

...le good life...
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mme Charlotte, do FrenchEntree cover rentals in Gascony as they don't have a separate regional section for it yet.
Mme Charlotte

Post by Mme Charlotte »

Oh dear. am having a brain ache moment - I meant Franglo.com not frenchentree!! (clearly I have spent too much time on the pc today!

Anyway - franglo.com. free ads. give it a try.

on the subject of Frenchentree though... if there's something they're missing (like a region) it might be worthwhile getting in touch with them....
www.gites-en-france.info

...le good life...
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, thought about it but we're not living there yet, so a bit more difficult! Did suggest it to friends in the Gers, who are mulling it over. Good opportunity for someone!

Don't know franglo.com - will check them out - thanks Mme Charlotte!
garlic

Post by garlic »

I'm midi pyrennees too :) but I'm also right on the langudoc border so don't always know where I belong!

I don't have any bookings either :( But managed to get three weeks booked pretty quickly for August even though I only started advertising at the being of July thanks to the fantastic advice I received here.

I've been told that there should be flurry of enquiries after the children go back to school as all the child free people who have deliberately avoided the summer holidays will be after something...Here's hoping :)

Sorry not useful advice but you're not the only one!
A-two

Post by A-two »

garlic wrote:managed to get three weeks booked pretty quickly for August even though I only started advertising at the being of July
I'm impressed. It's not easy to accomplish 3 last minute bookings. We are averaging something like 130 days for advance bookings, so just think of all those people who missed your advertising this year and went for something else instead, who are now going to find you for next year as well as the late bookers. Well done!
SmileyT

Post by SmileyT »

Just a further note to follow on what garlic said about flurry of after school holiday bookings- I have filled up next years (2007) summer holidays and the first two weeks in September all this week !!!

The feedback I am getting from this years guests ( my first year) have all been positive.

Am I still way too cheap??????

£500.00 P/W for summer, £300-350 for other weeks?

it's a 4 bed village house with pool.

P.S I'm right on the Ariege/Languedoc border Garlic, I know what you mean.