Mosquitos

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
b_javea

Mosquitos

Post by b_javea »

This year our villa in Javea has really suffered with mosquitoes - and I know we're not unique in this, as everyone in the town and along the Costa Blanca seem to be complaining.

The fear is guests who have been bitten to death will not return in future years - and/or the word will spread that Spain/Costa Blanca has too many mozzies. We were in Turkey this year and they had vans spraying roadside constantly - only had one mosquito bite during a 10 days stay - versus about 50 bites in just 3 days in Javea!

The main problem seems to be the Tiger mosquito (which you can't hear flying around, unlike others). They bite during the morning, day, evening - they're relentless!

We advise guests to use 'Skin So Soft' etc etc - but (from personal experience) the number of these bugs is getting ridiculous, and these sort of preventions are becoming useless.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a pest control company come round and spray for them? What do they charge/how often do they come?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The long hot summer probably made the situation worse, then of course we got the storms early so September was a nightmare.

We just recently got the tiger mosquito in a small area inland. They are a bit scary but the good thing us they actually don't move more than a few metres from where they hatch as they're pretty crap flyers so should be easier to keep under control by draining all water sources, but of course this means lazy neighbours can cause a problem.

Do you not use the plug ins you can buy? These work great inside on evenings/nightime. Obviously if walking around/eating out people just have to spray themselves.

We supply plug ins and I can't say I noticed many bites on departing guests, so maybe you have had it bad in your area.....do the council not spray in breeding season?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

Hi Mouse.

It could have been worse at our place... we have a 'deposito' tank underneath the patio (building requirement a few years ago for rain water that could be re-used for garden watering etc). Naturally that's going to be a possible breeding ground (although never was) so we're having that removed (illegally!!!) before next year.

Generally though it's the whole of the north Costa Blanca, speaking to people I know.

We have plug-ins, citreonella candles etc etc.. not been much use. Was even looking at a system which uses a gas bottle and emits the same smell as humans, then traps the mozzies as they are drawn in. Costs around 500 euros and the gas bottles need replacing every month... but the bottle needs 'purging' each time (which is going to be difficult to rely on our manager to do).

Anyway, interested in everyone's thoughts....
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

Mouse wrote:
.....do the council not spray in breeding season?

Mouse
x
No they don't!! Ridiculous. Apparently for "environmental reasons". The whole town depends on tourism, so they may rethink that.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Watch the plug in's they have been know to catch fire, we had a batteries one burn the varnish on our boat
Cheers
PC
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

We've been in Spain for the past week closing down the house and doing end of season repairs. We are all covered in mosquito bites and the house has screens on every window. I think the main problem is that our 2 year old opens the door and lets them in.

The seem to fly faster than the ones I'm used to at home and don't make that buzzing sound that wakes you at night.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Are you sure it's mosquitoes? Could it be "no-see-'ums"?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

PW in Polemi wrote:Are you sure it's mosquitoes? Could it be "no-see-'ums"?
I guess it could be. We have seen mosquitoes in the house but the bites are mostly on the legs, which is odd, although my son has marks all over his face and legs. He must taste better than us. A couple of mozzies which we squashed had blood in them, so they are at least partly to blame.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Bites mostly on legs? Low flying mosquitoes? Or do you have longish grass you walk through?

During mosquito season, we use the plug-in insecticide in the bedroom, even though we have windows open. Switched on about 1 hour before bed, there seems to be enough insecticide spread through the air to make the mosquitoes lose their appetite :lol:

As you seem to have a fairly bad "infestation", close doors & windows and spray the rooms well before bedtime. Then proceed as above.

And don't forget to keep eating garlic - not sure it keeps the mossies away, but the vampires aren't too keen on it :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I had a chat with our neighbours and they confirmed that first there are so many mozzies this year because they had no money to spray and also that they are in fact low flying, so attack the legs, or small children more often.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

They hide under tables too.....Mr M got bit on his legs quite a lot this sumner as they hid under his work table. He had to spray every morning.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have had mosquito screens made for all of ur rooms on most windows....has really worked and we have had no more complaints from guests. those plug ins release an insecticide which is highly toxic...worth thinking about!!! There are also plug-ins which emit ultra sound waves....but do not know how well they work
aasta
gh

Post by gh »

PW in Polemi wrote:Are you sure it's mosquitoes? Could it be "no-see-'ums"?
Not long back from our Spanish place and definitely tiger mosquitoes. They hardly make a sound unlike their cousins.

Our neighbour gave us a recipe to make up as a lotion, which she uses on her and the children. It does seem to work. Mixing Brisa and Lavanda aqua de colonia with 2 essential oils names of which escape me at the moment.
If anyone's interested I will mail them to ask.