Washing machine or dishwasher??

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
MissP

Washing machine or dishwasher??

Post by MissP »

So, excitingly, we completed our house purchase in Murcia last week :-) Now the fun bit - shopping!! And I'm hoping to tap your expertise for some advice...

We only have space for one white goods item in our kitchen - other than a fridge/freezer. And we can't decide whether to go for a dishwasher or washing machine. It's a townhouse and several neighbours have a washing machine out in the rear terrace (it appears plumbing is ready) but we worry as we won't be out there all of the time, and surely it could easily be stolen??

We do want to explore short term renting sooner or later - so based on your experience, do you think short term renters would find a washing machine or dishwasher more appealing??

Thanks!

MissP
tavi

Post by tavi »

Can you put dishwasher in kitchen and washing machine in bathroom? In Spain there's probably a bidet in the bathroom - you could remove that and install wm with shelves above for laundry items?
Marks

Post by Marks »

Washing machine. I have the same problem, no room in the kitchen for both and no option to put outside so the washing machine wins hands down.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

washing machine
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

MissP wrote: several neighbours have a washing machine out in the rear terrace (it appears plumbing is ready) but we worry as we won't be out there all of the time, and surely it could easily be stolen??
It might prove reassuring to know whether its safe to leave stuff out on your own rear terrace! As you say it's fairly common practice assuming the area where machine is sited is covered?

Re prospective renters you really MUST have a washing machine whereas there are still plenty of us on this planet not afraid to do a bit of washing up :wink:

Re shopping for household items: If you can tolerate good quality second-hand items then there's plenty of stuff being sold across spanish forums and facebook groups etc.
tavi wrote:In Spain there's probably a bidet in the bathroom - you could remove that and install wm with shelves above for laundry items?
Not sure I'd agree but suppose it depends on your target market. Majority of our guests throughout summer peak are French (pretty sure that's because flight from UK are so expensive compared to say driving down from France). I assume they actually use the bidets but will bow to the superior knowledge of any French owners on here.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

To share our experience, with our apartment in the city there was only room for one appliance. We thought people would be coming for city breaks so, to add to the so-called 'luxury' feel, installed a dishwasher. Six months later, the barely-used machine sits lonely and forlorn in the shed at home and a new washing machine has taken it´s place.

It seems many people now don´t bring that many clothes plus also to our surprise, we have had a significant number of two-week bookings, so Gordo is right, it is a must. They are on holiday so eat out a lot.

I would add, choose the machine carefully, making sure it has an obvious 'quick wash' option. For lots of people it's used to run through t-shirts and underwear rather than a standard full wash. We found one (a Beko I think) that has a 4kg max load and a 30 min cycle - it is also not as deep as a traditional one so good for small spaces.
MissP

Post by MissP »

Thanks so much everyone - your replies been really helpful. It seems very clear that a washing machine is the thing to go for1 But yes I will also check out with out new neighbours around how secure the outside option is. We intend to eventually spend months at a time out there ourselves, and so a washing machine is probably also the better long term option - I'm sure we could cope with a bit of manual dish washing if we were living in Spain!

Interesting side discussion about bidets too! I know at least one neighbour has had one removed (we have two toilets) to make space for a storage cupboard but I did wonder if that was a good idea or not.

Thanks again

MissP :D
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Washing machine for me too but if you can put one outside, then I would go for that option. If worried about security then just use a ground anchor. I don't think 50kg washing machines are hot pickings though.

It's easy to survive with no dishwasher but no washing machine means washing by hand and trying to dry very wet clothes.
tavi

Post by tavi »

MissP wrote:Thanks so much everyone - your replies been really helpful. It seems very clear that a washing machine is the thing to go for1 But yes I will also check out with out new neighbours around how secure the outside option is. We intend to eventually spend months at a time out there ourselves, and so a washing machine is probably also the better long term option - I'm sure we could cope with a bit of manual dish washing if we were living in Spain!

Interesting side discussion about bidets too! I know at least one neighbour has had one removed (we have two toilets) to make space for a storage cupboard but I did wonder if that was a good idea or not.

Thanks again

MissP :D
Yes, if you can only choose one then my preference would be a washing machine.

In my dayjob we are removing bidets as we upgrade bathrooms. The only person who commented was an 80 yr old Portuguese gent. Though, as you say, it might be interesting to know what the French think...they invented bidets I suppose?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Lots of people here are also removing bidets - people prefer to have a walk in shower and a bath these days - and they almost never feature in new bathroom design. You can still buy bidets, but with difficulty. I think their use goes back to the time when people only bathed once a week :lol: .
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh I so wish I could convince Mr M to give up his bidet (we are arguing over the redesign of our bathroom). I've removed it from the other large bathroom.

We went for dishwasher in the kitchen (as it's our home) and the washing machine is adjacent to where we live in summer so not reachable for guests. We do washing for them and I would say about 60% usually want some washing done.
We sleep 8 so the dishwasher is used 90% of the time...but is also the biggest pain in the butt as very few people seem to know how to use one (another thread is needed for that). Depending on your water type, they need a lot of maintenance.

If you have a large number of guests I would include a dishwasher and put the washer on the back terrace. It is really common here to have an outside utility area and I've yet to hear of anyone having theirs nicked!
You can get covers in Spain that will keep the washer dry/clean if outside.
That would be the best solution, if not then I would go with a washing machine.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!