VAT registered or not?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Gary2604

VAT registered or not?

Post by Gary2604 »

The renovation of our flat is now well underway and were hoping to be complete before end of the year. What we have been doing is spending lots of money on materials which includes a substantial amount of VAT. As I understand it if we are VAT registered we can claim back all VAT on the cost of the renovation and furnishings. Of course this then means we would have to charge VAT on the let at 20% which would either make us uncompetitive of we end up increasing prices a bit and subsidising the remainder. I'm going round in circles trying to work out which is best route. We will have paid something in the region of £6000 in VAT by end of this year......what do you think?
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Hi, I've just sent you a pm which might be useful.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Being VAT registered is a lot of extra work. It effects everything you do not just the holiday let. As you will be making standard rate supplies to consumers and most of your expenses in the future are zero-rated, you will end up paying more to HMRC in total than you can reclaim.

Unless you intend to expand your holiday let business and will exceed the VAT threshold anyway, don't bother.
Essar

Post by Essar »

newtimber wrote:Being VAT registered is a lot of extra work. It effects everything you do not just the holiday let. As you will be making standard rate supplies to consumers and most of your expenses in the future are zero-rated, you will end up paying more to HMRC in total than you can reclaim.

Unless you intend to expand your holiday let business and will exceed the VAT threshold anyway, don't bother.
+1

Gas & Electric VAT is only 5%
Water is exempt
Council Tax/Business Rates are exempt

The full cost of renovation including VAT is a tax deductible expense.

Unless, you bought the property as a business and the purchase price included VAT. In which case 20% of the purchase price is a lot to get back.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

Thanks for the replies which have helped! Nuthatch I never did get your PM!

So seems like little point going down the VAT route and we would certainly never be above the VAT threshold anyway. Being able to offset the renovation cost with VAT against tax eases the pain!