Draining water heater?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
MissP

Draining water heater?

Post by MissP »

Me again!! After my fridge freezer question this morning, now I'm hoping for advice about our hot water heater, which is mounted outside the back door of our spanish house. Should we aim to drain it of water before we lock up tomorrow? We're not back for 7 weeks and I'm conscious it *could* get to freezing temperatures here while we're away.

Do you guys drain yours or leave them be??

Thanks!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Which part of Spain? Are there any stop valves where you can turn off the water to prevent a disaster if something did leak? It's not just freezing that can cause problems but Spanish plumbing seems to be very dodgy. I've had several leaks over the years and non were due to the cold.
CSE

Post by CSE »

You never came back to us and said what you are doing about eh existing "boiler" in this thread.
viewtopic.php?p=323337
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
MissP

Post by MissP »

Aha! I've literally just posted an update to that thread (sorry, no broadband over there yet so data was pricey! Just got back today).

We have a shiny new boiler! Hence the reason for asking what the best approach is to ensure it stays that way ;-) We left it as is - one of our kindly neighbours agreed to let us know if temperatures are due to plummet, and if needs be she'll drain it for us.

We have heard the horror stories re plumbing but, fingers crossed, all seems ok. We switched the water off and drained the pipes before we left though...better safe than sorry!
CSE

Post by CSE »

I can see that ......you should have asked your plumber what is best to do.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I've never heard of draining a water heater. I think you are a lot further south than me and we rarely get temperatures so low. As I explained in your last thread the draining process is quite cumbersome. You can't just turn off the main supply and open the taps. There is a little drain plug under the heater and it involves lots of buckets and wet floors. I think it's a crazy idea. The only freezing problem you might encounter is if you have one of those big deposit tanks on the roof. They need to be shut off and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS recommend you close the mains supply when you're away because if you have any type of leak it gives you a whacking water bill.
I would also disconnect the water heater from the power supply or switch off the main supply switch.
But I can't imagine why anybody would want to drain a Spanish "termo" water heater.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

If it aint broke don't fix it!.. draining more trouble than it's worth and it wont freeze where you are. I'd suggest just find out where the cold mains comes in and turn that off for any long absences.
Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
MissP

Post by MissP »

Thanks everyone! Definitely no draining will occur!! In hindsight this was probably a dumb question to even feel I needed to ask ;-) - sorry, blame it on 'newbie paranoia'!!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Absolutely not Miss P. I have bought and changed quite a few of these heaters and also drained, cleaned and repaired. I'm not an electrician or plumber but I enjoy being able to pass on any knowledge I have. I think that applies to everybody in LMH. If people are afraid to ask questions it falls apart. And, believe me, when you ask a "silly" question there are a dozen more people looking at the answer but didn't have the nerve to ask.
I hope I didn't offend you by saying it was a ridiculous idea. I just wanted to emphasise the bother you'd get into if you started to drain your "termo".
CSE

Post by CSE »

Unlerlined?
MissP

Post by MissP »

[quote="costabravarent"
I hope I didn't offend you by saying it was a ridiculous idea. I just wanted to emphasise the bother you'd get into if you started to drain your "termo".[/quote]

No offence taken at all!! :-) Believe me I appreciated the honest (and v clear!) advice!!