Naming your holiday let?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Kate24

Naming your holiday let?

Post by Kate24 »

Just wondering what opinions are on naming your holiday let and whether it is necessary?

We are close to letting our city centre apartment and struggling to come up with a name. We are number 5 in our block so the obvious would be "No.5", but there is already a No.5 elsewhere in the city and do not want to cause confusion.

Current thinking is to use AirBnB in which case I am not sure if a name will be necessary for their site as they tend to use brief descriptions in the titles, but if we want our own website etc then it probably would be good to build a name and identity.

Any thoughts, or name ideas for city apartments that anyone is willing to share?!

Thanks!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Name it. :) I can't help with the name as it needs context and information that is personal to you, but here's a blog to help explain. Although it's American, I think it explains the reasoning why, regardless of location. http://www.vacationrentalmarketingblog. ... roperties/
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

For a listing site a name as such is not required. The only reason I can think of for needing a name, as you say yourself, is if you create a website and you have to chose a domain name. Even that might not contain a name, eg. appartmentincity.com
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I'm in the "name it" camp too. And make it something different to most similar properties, something memorable that will be easily recognised. Even if the listing site does not list it by name, you can insert the name into the description of the property so that when you get your own website up and running, Google searches will find your property more easily. The domain name can be more generic, more tied to your area, but the property name should be individual - not yet another "Sea View Apartment" or "Lavender Cottage".
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Definitely find a name for it even if you never do your own marketing - it helps guests remember it when they've seen listings for umpteen apartments. It also makes it easy for them to recommend it to friends and family - they just tell them to Google 'Kate's Loft' (or whatever) in city x instead of having to remember a listing id or url.

Avoid anything that's remotely similar to ones already in your location for the same reasons.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

If you are on listing sites and you also have your own site I think it is very important to have a name. Many listing sites don't allow you to have a link to your own website. The savvy amongst the potential bookers will see the name and Google. That way you will get more traffic to your own website and they will most likely get more information.

As regards a name, could you use the name of the street you are in, as in "[street name] apartment" ? Anything historical in the area you could pick up on? Was the block built on the site of something interesting for example?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Definitely name it.

Not only for all the very good reasons already given, but to give your rental character and to show that you care about it, on an emotional basis as well as as a money-making prospect. You want people to connect with it - before, during and after their stay - which is nigh on impossible if they're staying somewhere as anonymous as a hotel room.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Yes name the property,my cottage was simply no4.
Bit of a story to my name ,but guests love the history of my story.
The name links my village ,the village my cottage is in. lord Marmaduke who owned the land he was a famous general in Charles 1 army and escaped the Roundheads riding a cow dressed as a milk maid from Sancton.So cows was the final connection to our family farm.oh and he is buried in Sancton church.
Yes I am into history but it beat no 4.

:lol:
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'm another who says name it.... - something short, snappy and easy to Google when the time comes....which it will!

I know my past guests Google mine if they can't find my email - along with the name of the town and my website comes up number one on page one.

As FC says there's also some emotional connection there...if you can find something that enhances the theme of their holiday. Take some time to play with names, history, location...personality.....

Mine is a tiny, slightly battered apartment with a fab view...so the name beach hut just evolved, now all my guests use it and it's almost my usp.

Take some time to play with ideas and words...and you'll find something that fits.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It's worth mentioning that any name chosen should be done at the same time as choosing a domain name for a website. You might think Kate's Cottage sounds great but not much point if your neighbour, who advertises on different listing sites has a website of that name. That does not mean they have to match exactly though but you have to be sure it's unique and relevant.
CSE

Post by CSE »

We are close to letting our city centre apartment and struggling to come up with a name..... Any thoughts, or name ideas for city apartments that anyone is willing to share?!
I suppose it would depend on which city your business will be located.
You have not give us a clue on that.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Create a name and use it for your own website and on every listing site you use.

Here's an idea - the No. 5 also looks like an "S" so use it as a prefix to the name - of course this wouldn't work if you are No.5 the Hambles! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Essar wrote:Create a name and use it for your own website and on every listing site you use.

Here's an idea - the No. 5 also looks like an "S" so use it as a prefix to the name - of course this wouldn't work if you are No.5 the Hambles! :lol:
Unless you are based in York of course in which case there is a very famous street called "The Shambles".
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

PS Yes definitely give it a name.

People live at "47 High Street".

They go on holiday to "Rose Cottage"

Same place but sounds oh so much better!
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Interestingly HL has taken my property name out of the description line. It has taken them about 6 months to do it but they obviously review them. It is still scatted through the description text and I always put it my messages to guests on listing sites.
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.