Wifi

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Wirksworth13

Wifi

Post by Wirksworth13 »

Does wifi not being available in a holiday let mean less bookings? Appreciate your opinions.
First foray into this malarky
https://www.facebook.com/StayAtStemples/
Essar

Re: Wifi

Post by Essar »

Wirksworth13 wrote:Does wifi not being available in a holiday let mean less bookings? Appreciate your opinions.
Without a doubt - how many people do you know who hasn't got some sort of Smartphone, Tablet or LapTop tucked into their luggage. Most families arrive with the kids being dragged out of the car still "ipadding"; screaming for the Wi-Fi code.

Oh and don't even consider charging extra for it! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Wirksworth13

Post by Wirksworth13 »

Thank you. That's my opinion too. We have only just started taking bookings and it seemed another expense. But I suppose if it means more bookings they will cover the cost. No definitely hadn't thought of charging for it!! There won't be any kids as it only sleeps 2 and I suppose I thought people use their data on their phone. But maybe not.
First foray into this malarky
https://www.facebook.com/StayAtStemples/
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

+1 to what Essar says and even though it may only sleep two, don't make the mistake of thinking they won't use much. Make sure you get an unlimited package. I'm often staggered at the data usage in my cottage.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1 to unlimited free wi-fi. We use it to stream movies via Amazon Prime when we're away and fancy a night in. Plus having a router opens other options like remote controlled heating thermostats (we have HIVE in both cottages). The amount we've saved by being able to turn the heating down when the cottage is empty probably justifies the cost.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
tavi

Post by tavi »

yup, you need wifi.

I only sleep two and many of my guests are retired but they almost all now have a tablet of some sort to check their emails and Facetime their grandchildren :)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

My current concern is that in our rural location we don't (yet) have sufficient bandwidth for movie streaming!
We put in wifi 8 years ago; back then it wasn't a guest expectation (although it could be a deal-breaker), but it was bound to become one. Guests will now expect it and if you don't have it you'll need to make that clear, and yes you'll lose a lot of bookings.
kevsboredagain

Re: Wifi

Post by kevsboredagain »

Wirksworth13 wrote:Does wifi not being available in a holiday let mean less bookings? Appreciate your opinions.
Probably. Judging by the way some people scream and shout the moment it goes down, it must be important.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I fought against providing it, thought it would cause problems but now even I wouldn't rent somewhere that doesn't have it.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I fought against providing it, thought it would cause problems but now even I wouldn't rent somewhere that doesn't have it.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Friend of mine put wi-fi in a couple of years ago. Her bookings doubled in the first 12 months :shock:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Marchehelen

Post by Marchehelen »

Definitely. We booked a property 18 months ago which didn't have internet (thinking it wouldn't be a problem) and it was a nightmare. I'm sure it is my fault, as I have become too dependent on it, but I would never book a property again that doesn't have internet.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

We do not have wifi in Italy - it is not available at our house. I'm sure guests would like it but it is what it is. No other properties in town for rent have it either. There is an Internet cafe across the street and a pizza joint and bar w free wifi...and that seems to work ;-) I'm upfront about I so no one is surprised. When I started renting it 9 yrs ago there was not even that so it's an improvement!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

As 'we' are expected to respond to any enquiries via most listing sites with 24 hours, there's no way I can stay anywhere with no wifi these days and if that's my expectation it's the same for many other guests.

I had wifi installed in our villa this year having previously relied on a payg wifi dongle I hired out to guests. I'm so glad I made the decision to upgrade, both for myself when we are there and my guests. How on earth my teen daughter and her friend would have survived a week outside the bedroom when not in the pool, I don't know!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I get a text when I recieve an enquiry and either use my cellular data plan to answer or go get a coffee or cocktail and use the bar's wifi ;-)

I'm not disagreeing that it is a much desired amenity in an hr, btw....just that it's no biggie for me, personally. I actually prefer places w no internet and we choose out of the way places and cruises to avoid it (!) I do not want Dh to be able to work and I f not want my teenager to have access while we are on a family vacation ;-) I've never had a complaint but, as I said, guests know before they book...and it's rare in our neck of the woods ( we also have no tv & no central heat or AC though - a rather rustic experience) When I had the USA house, I could not have rented it w/o Internet, etc. it's just expected in a more urban rental, as well as in a different price range.