HA'OD Changes Afoot

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Casscat wrote:They really are bullying scumbuckets aren't they :evil:
Yes, very nasty, but useful too as I am now finding in a devious way.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Yes.
But remember the old adage, bullies never prevail.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

AndrewH wrote:
Yes, very nasty, but useful too as I am now finding in a devious way.
DO tell :D When you're ready...
Quiterio

Take control!

Post by Quiterio »

I've just worked my way through the very interesting 35 pages of this thread.

It's clear that many of us have a gripe with the big players - although some of us are happy to pay their prices and have their customers pay their prices too, for whatever service they may be getting.

That's fine for them, but I suspect the rest of us long to return to the days of getting our property advertised on one or more websites, with enquiries being passed on to us to deal with. A reasonable cost to the owner and no hidden costs to the guests.

So isn't there a business opportunity out there waiting for some enterprising person? They could give it a name that reflects the service offered - something like "Owners Direct" (or perhaps that's already been used!) and say very loud and very clearly, "Book with confidence. No service charges." Get a profile that pops up on Google the minute you enter "holiday lets". If I knew how to do this, I'd do it myself.

As far as OD, HA, HL and presumably AirBnb (although they hardly figure in this thread) are concerned, we vote with our feet. Let the market decide.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Agreed, but...

Many have tried, many have failed.
greenbarn

Re: Take control!

Post by greenbarn »

Quiterio wrote: Get a profile that pops up on Google the minute you enter "holiday lets". If I knew how to do this, I'd do it myself.
I know how to do this! You give Google $10 million. And again....
russellt

Re: Take control!

Post by russellt »

Quiterio wrote:I've just worked my way through the very interesting 35 pages of this thread.
I did so recently too, even though I have no connection to OD/HA. Very useful background info.
Quiterio wrote:It's clear that many of us have a gripe with the big players
Yup!. From this

viewtopic.php?t=26539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I reckon around 70% of us. However, with the other 30% apparently happy to go with the flow, it does beg the question as to whether we(LMH) are truly representative of the market. ie would 70% of all owners be happy to bin the global sites if an alternative surfaced?
Quiterio wrote:So isn't there a business opportunity out there waiting for some enterprising person?
Yes, there is :wink:
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

I would like to say after extensive testing with accurate parameters and particularly after accepting some service fee bookings I have not noticed any shift in my ranking. In the past year it has stayed roughly in the same place with movement of none other that 0.5%. I can say accepting bookings is not a factor in my ranking but maybe this can change. My test was conducted within an area of 12,000 properties. So if you think accepting bookings will affect your ranking I would think again.
seaturtle

Re: HA'OD Changes Afoot

Post by seaturtle »

Unibond3 wrote:.......However, there was a very interesting article published by Rentivo on the 4th May which you might just want to read. Here's the link:

http://91digital.net/blog/homeaway-apri ... _Weekly_22

Enjoy!

Any thoughts?
I see 3/4 paras down into the article Unibond has kindly posted, under the heading "Best Match Explained & Expanded" there's suggestion that vrbo (poss HA/OD?) maybe dabbling with the idea of allowing owners & property managers to boost their ads (like Google Adwords etc).

Perhaps there's already commentary or a thread elsewhere I've not seen.... However can anyone throw any informed light on the subject? I'd be particularly interested to know if OD is planning this?

Many thanks in advance

Seaturtle