Zip link duvets, beds..covers?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Nicklc

Zip link duvets, beds..covers?

Post by Nicklc »

Hello!
So I think I've decided on zip link beds (king size to 2x 2'6"). I'm not sure two singles on it when made up to a King would look any good - has anyone tried zip link duvets?! Any good? And I think they fit into super King size regular covers is that right?
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I struggle enough with the concept of zip-link beds, but zip-link duvets are a bridge too far :? I would have single duvets and king duvets and employ the appropriate size depending upon how the beds are to be configured.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Just one observation. If you plan to offer the room as a twin please make it clear when you advertise that the singles would be 2'6 as that's smaller than a standard single. I once rented a place that did not make this clear and had a miserable week of sleeping badly. I didn't have the opportunity to review it, but it would have been a poor review. I think 2'6 is only suitable for children.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

tchn wrote:Just one observation. If you plan to offer the room as a twin please make it clear when you advertise that the singles would be 2'6 as that's smaller than a standard single. I once rented a place that did not make this clear and had a miserable week of sleeping badly. I didn't have the opportunity to review it, but it would have been a poor review. I think 2'6 is only suitable for children.
+1 A standard single bed is 3ft wide, so that's what guests would expect unless you clearly state otherwise.

Re duvets, with our six ft wide zip/links made up as one bed we use two single duvets in single covers (aka "Austrian twins" I think). From what guests have told us, it's resulted in quite a number of converts to the format when they get back home!
Last edited by greenbarn on Sat May 28, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklc

Post by Nicklc »

Thank you! I only have space for a King really- so it's either a regular king bed or zip n link with the two small singles-any opinion on which is better?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nicklc wrote:Thank you! I only have space for a King really- so it's either a regular king bed or zip n link with the two small singles-any opinion on which is better?
Is it a one bedroom property? What's your target market(s)?
Nicklc

Post by Nicklc »

Yes it's a one bed apartment (sofa bed in lounge)
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Regarding King or Zip/Link - I have a studio which fits a Super-King however after about a year of offering SK or 2 singles, I now only do Super-King. I have a very tourist market - might be different if you are expecting contractors or anything.

Zip/Link duvets - I also have these. They are ok. They are fine as singles however 2 single duvets are not the same size as a SK duvet (and certainly not a king duvet). If you have lots of room to store the different options, do that. If not, it's not too bad - about 10cm too big or thereabouts.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nicklc wrote:Yes it's a one bed apartment (sofa bed in lounge)
If your market is going to be primarily couples, I'd stick with a double - you have much more choice with beds that look attractive compared with a couple of divans next to each other. The market for two adults both prepared to make do with a child's bed in the same bedroom has to be limited, and one you may not even want.
My 2p worth - but every situation is different!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have a one bedroom apartment and if we have two singles, one takes the double bed, the other the sofa bed. Couples use the double bedroom.