UK In/Out referendum

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Very very sad.

I really feel for the young generation. My opinion is that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't have been able to vote.
It is an interesting statistic that the vast majority of those over that age voted leave, whilst the vast majority of those under 25 voted remain.

If you look at the areas that voted leave....I believe a pattern starts to emerge.

Having once been involved in writing European bids to draw down funds in to Objective 2 ares I can attest to the amount of money that places like these received from the EEC. Liverpool, for instance, probably rebuilt itself on the back of those funds.

Very sad....

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Many British expats over here voted to leave :shock:

David Cameron's just resigned. There will be a new Prime Minister in October, so that's a 3 month delay he's bought for Brexit.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

There no going back. As of now, Britain is officially outside the tent, pissing … well, where has yet to be decided. And, as a result, some of the nastiest politicians in Britain will have been parachuted into power, to determine the country’s future. It’s time to see if those suggestions by ‘Leave’ leaders about what they’d do in the event of a victory, hastily scribbled on the back of a fag packet, have any validity.

My guess – but, like everybody else, we’re all in the dark – is that, shorn of the need to feel the occasional hand of the EU on the tiller in the guise of Human Rights, Workers Rights, Environmental, Trade and other civilising legislation, those with their hands on the levers of power will take the opportunity of such freedom to further enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else. And the mainstream media will continue to trumpet their usual lies to make it all seem OK.

I was proud of my country in 1990, when I was a part of the truly international team that broke through under the Channel. And never more ashamed than in the past couple of weeks as the ‘Leave’ leaders cynically and unashamedly played the race card in the debate, after they’d were comprehensively defeated on the economic issues.

We’re now into uncharted territory. So, I wish you Brits the best as you paddle your little island away from mainland Europe. I’ve got a feeling that you might need a little luck in the coming months, once the euphoria has died down and the champagne is going flat.
Jim
tavi

Post by tavi »

Jimbo wrote:There no going back. As of now, Britain is officially outside the tent, pissing … well, where has yet to be decided. And, as a result, some of the nastiest politicians in Britain will have been parachuted into power, to determine the country’s future. It’s time to see if those suggestions by ‘Leave’ leaders about what they’d do in the event of a victory, hastily scribbled on the back of a fag packet, have any validity.

My guess – but, like everybody else, we’re all in the dark – is that, shorn of the need to feel the occasional hand of the EU on the tiller in the guise of Human Rights, Workers Rights, Environmental, Trade and other civilising legislation, those with their hands on the levers of power will take the opportunity of such freedom to further enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else. And the mainstream media will continue to trumpet their usual lies to make it all seem OK.

I was proud of my country in 1990, when I was a part of the truly international team that broke through under the Channel. And never more ashamed than in the past couple of weeks as the ‘Leave’ leaders cynically and unashamedly played the race card in the debate, after they’d were comprehensively defeated on the economic issues.

We’re now into uncharted territory. So, I wish you Brits the best as you paddle your little island away from mainland Europe. I’ve got a feeling that you might need a little luck in the coming months, once the euphoria has died down and the champagne is going flat.
Excellent post.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I'm really, really glad that my French nationality came through in March this year.

I just can't believe that Cameron caused this state of affairs for his own success and has now just given up.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mouse wrote: My opinion is that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't have been able to vote. Mousiex
Err? I'm over 65 and I've been a committed European for as long as I can remember. And that's true of most of the dribbling old gits of similar vintage that I know. I don't think that you get to 65 and suddenly become a Little Englander or a racist, it has to have been part of your psyche all along.

And that's a big problem with democracy - you don't always get the result that you want.
Jim
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

CarolineH wrote:I'm really, really glad that my French nationality came through in March this year.
I just can't believe that Cameron caused this state of affairs for his own success and has now just given up.
He just had to resign. You need a Eurosceptic or a neutral PM to handle the exit.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Theresa may?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Jimbo wrote:
Mouse wrote: My opinion is that anyone over the age of 65 shouldn't have been able to vote. Mousiex
Err? I'm over 65 and I've been a committed European for as long as I can remember. And that's true of most of the dribbling old gits of similar vintage that I know. I don't think that you get to 65 and suddenly become a Little Englander or a racist, it has to have been part of your psyche all along.

And that's a big problem with democracy - you don't always get the result that you want.
+1
Remember, Mousie, that it was the 65 and older age-group that voted us into the Common Market in the first place, with a strong majority. A closer unity wasn't on the cards back in the 70's, but the prospect would not have changed my "in" vote made at that referendum.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Have just met up with our current guests - repeats who we know well, and like.

They're shocked. But what shocks me is that they admitted that they didn't get their act together to vote, even though they booked last August. They said that "they didn't think one vote would make a difference".

If the average turnout was 70%, and just over three percentage points separated the results ... well, you can work that out for yourselves.

I'm fuming

:twisted:
gozokerry

Post by gozokerry »

I wonder if Farage will be grinning so wildly in two years time. I hope so, for all our sakes.
Kerry

As Hamlet said ;-"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
gozokerry

Post by gozokerry »

Just saw this ;-http://goo.gl/4pkaz3
Kerry

As Hamlet said ;-"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Mouse wrote

Having once been involved in writing European bids to draw down funds in to Objective 2 ares I can attest to the amount of money that places like these received from the EEC. Liverpool, for instance, probably rebuilt itself on the back of those funds.

Very good point. Unfortunately not the sort of point or argument that the remain camp ever made. Instead we were subject to sound bites which were ridiculous at times, with only the plagues of locusts absent from the promises of what would happen if the vote was to exit.

The history books I suspect will make interesting reading about Cameron's reign. His poor judgements and poor relationship in Europe was apparent from the euro crisis when he could not refrain from telling other leaders what to do. This clearly caused tensions.
He failed to get the re-negotiated deal which made Britain appear to have no influence over Eurpean partners and he should have recognised then that he should have not gone on to put matter to the vote.
Very poor judgment and leadership in my view. (Ps I voted in because that is best for my son's career).
CSE

Post by CSE »

re the above post about EU funds. For some reason in the British did not wish to see signs that the project was ever backed with EU money. Here in Spain you cannot move without seeing the EU flag etc. Websites, road works, new hospitals etc. All state that part was funded by the EU. That is just one area where the EU failed to gain a hold on. On the other hand the EU was to blame for stupid rules and regulations.

The UK now stands divided. Not only in politics, but it seems Scotland wish to have a second referendum to leave the UK, and there is now a call to hold another referendum on the EU.
A friend of ours wishes to become Spanish. But first he will have to do a great deal to learn the language. And form filling.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

casasantoestevo wrote:re the above post about EU funds. For some reason in the British society did not wish to ever see signs that the project was ever backed with EU money. Here in Spain you cannot move without seeing the EU flag etc. Websites, road works hospitals etc. That is one area where the EU failed to gain a hold on.
That's something I've been commenting on for ages; people didn't realise that all these funds came from the EU. Why not? It's particularly galling that my native Northeast, which voted so overwhelmingly for Out, received more EU funds than any other part of Britain. Why was this never publicised, like elsewhere?

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.