Mattress, Duvet and Pillow protectors

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
andyhay1

Mattress, Duvet and Pillow protectors

Post by andyhay1 »

Sorry if I've missed this answered before - I'm a newbie.

Would other owners recommend getting mattress, duvet and pillow protectors? If so would you go waterproof? Are these uncomfortable?

Where is the best place to get them...

Thanks in advance
more brie please
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Welcome - and enjoy many hours of reading on here!

Have a look at these threads:
viewtopic.php?t=25441&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=24774&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=24735&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=24044&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=23711&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=22411&highlight=protectors
viewtopic.php?t=21739&highlight=protectors

Mattress protectors are generally considered essential. Pillow protectors are good if you don't have access to reasonably priced replacement pillows - we sleep 4 maximum (generally only 2 though) and I replace maybe 2 pillows a year. As said on one of the above threads, I can obtain them at a very reasonable price so for me it's cheaper to replace than to buy 2 protectors per pillow (2 per sleeping position).

I must confess my ignorance here - I'd never heard of duvet protectors before. In the colder months, I just stuff the duvet into a duvet cover which is laundered at each changeover.

Any way, happy reading :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have pillow protectors - just the cheap disposable ones - and good quality mattress protectors. I have waterproof protectors and then comfy quilted ones on top of those, although to be fair the waterproof protectors and not crackly or uncomfortable. I got my waterproof protectors from Out of Eden and the microfibre quilted ones from Mitre Linen. The cheap pillow protectors I cannot remember where I got them, but they are easy to come by and cost peanuts.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

I have sealed mattress protectors (the thought of bed bugs terrifies me)

I have a mattress protector on top of the sealed one and then pillow protectors which are zipped

I have a few waterproof ones on the childrens beds as I know children tend to dribble (not with a football ;-) )

Sandra
JanB

Post by JanB »

I have always used mattress and pillow protectors for holiday lets, as well as my own beds.

Like Casscat, I have two protectors on the bed - lets face it, much more hygienic and also easy to wash or throw away. As a friend always says, a mattress with a map of France on it is rather unappealing!

Soak and Sleep (formerly Duvet & Pillow Warehouse) are excellent.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

JanB wrote:Soak and Sleep (formerly Duvet & Pillow Warehouse) are excellent.
I have bought from The Duvet & Pillow Warehouse before, but heavens why 'Soak and Sleep'! Sounds like incontinence supplies! :shock:
russellt

Post by russellt »

JanB wrote: Soak and Sleep (formerly Duvet & Pillow Warehouse) are excellent.
+1

Weird new name, though. I agree.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
G.H

Post by G.H »

I'm just looking at Soak and Sleep so thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone use their 'luxury soft as down' range? I'm wondering if I can get away with a 9tog. Problem is we're still in the process of buying our seaside flat so no idea how cold the flat will be in the winter. It's single glazed and both bedrooms have 1 outside wall. The cost of the all seasons is rather offputting. I'm always cold so I use 13.5 all year so I'm not the best person to judge! Two duvets for each bed in case of accidents?
(apologies for jumping on your thread but I was just about to ask the same questions)

Gina
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Why not provide blankets to throw on top of a lightweight duvet if needed? I hate being too hot and a 13.5 tog duvet with no lighter alternative is my idea of hell. I've generally had a 4 tog all year round - and yes, I do mean in the UK! - with a blanket for those chilly nights. If you overheat you can kick it off, but if you overheat under a 13.5 tog your options are to sweat your way through the night or freeze.
G.H

Post by G.H »

Casscat wrote:Why not provide blankets to throw on top of a lightweight duvet if needed? I hate being too hot and a 13.5 tog duvet with no lighter alternative is my idea of hell. I've generally had a 4 tog all year round - and yes, I do mean in the UK! - with a blanket for those chilly nights. If you overheat you can kick it off, but if you overheat under a 13.5 tog your options are to sweat your way through the night or freeze.
You'd hate our house! Heated waterbed and 13.5 all year :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

G.H have a heart! I'd be sleeping under a bath sheet in your garden.... :D

Seriously though, I do think you need to provide flexibility because not everyone wants to be that, erm, 'snug'. Layers are better than one 'take it or leave it' bedding option IMO. I use sheets and blankets, but that's Spain and most of the rental season no more than a sheet is needed, but in the UK there are seasons within seasons, so providing a 'build your own bedding' option will always be appreciated I would think.
G.H

Post by G.H »

Yep I agree. I'll add fleece blankets to the list cos they're quick drying and see if those plus a mid season duvet (9tog ish) it enough.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We're in the UK and most of the year we have mid weight duvets (10 tog I think) with plain covers and patterned quilts that are folded over the bottom third of the beds. They add colour and guests can pull them up if they want extra warmth or push them down if they don't need them. In the summer we swap the duvets for light weight ones (4 tog?) but keep the quilts just in case.

It's not ideal - I know some people don't like the extra weight, or the possibility of quilts ending up on the floor. But temperatures in the UK are so unpredictable (as are guests) so it's the best option we've come up with so far.

We have cotton quilted pillow and mattress protectors. If we know pre school children are staying then we try and put waterproof mattress protectors underneath the cotton ones. We rely on the cleaners to do it though and I suspect they may forget.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

On the point about mattress protectors - and this has come up before - originally I only thought in terms of putting waterproof protectors on the single beds which would be occupied by kids who might not be 'dry', but horror stories on here persuaded me that ALL beds should have waterproof protectors. The most palatable reason is that parents do take their kids into their beds, but there are also some pretty grim stories relating to adult behaviour I won't repeat in case anyone is having their lunch! I have not suffered this kind of incident, but safety first eh :wink: