Just went live

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
oldpolicehouse

Just went live

Post by oldpolicehouse »

Hi , well it has been manic here! I went live last weekend (3rd July) and already got 10 bookings through OD and 1 for Christmas through my own site.. I am shocked. (but happy) just now I will take what I can get and sort it out better next year. after 18 months all that is left to do this weekend is tar the drive and First guests arrive on Wednesday.
Now I have questions.....
what do you do with all the loo rolls that are used but not empty?
children under 5 ... do you put waterproof covers under the top sheet?...
I am nervous and excited....
OD has their new price yearly payment being restructured on the 16th July 1 price for all and 1 price for payg. so I am waiting till then to pay the annual fee
I have signed up to TA but not pressed the button to go live yet I want to wait till I have had my first guests what do you think?

Its all go go

Susan
greenbarn

Re: Just went live

Post by greenbarn »

oldpolicehouse wrote: what do you do with all the loo rolls that are used but not empty?
Take them home and use them yourself. One of the unexpected but very real pleasures of this business is using the leftover loo rolls for their intended purpose and enjoying the fact that they are tax deductible.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

oldpolicehouse wrote: what do you do with all the loo rolls that are used but not empty?
children under 5 ... do you put waterproof covers under the top sheet?...
As GB said, take the started loo rolls home for your own use.
Pretty much everybody on here recommends waterproof mattress protectors on EVERY bed, irrespective of age of guest. It's not only kiddies who have accidents - and of course, there are other bodily fluids that you don't want in and staining your mattress ... :shock: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
oldpolicehouse

Thanks

Post by oldpolicehouse »

I have waterproof covers but not directly under the sheet! I have a mattress, a topper, a waterproof sheet then a mattress protector....goodness even I am confused but the beds are really comfy lol
kg1

Post by kg1 »

greenbarn wrote:
Take them home and use them yourself. One of the unexpected but very real pleasures of this business is using the leftover loo rolls for their intended purpose and enjoying the fact that they are tax deductible.
Definitely, along with any kitchen roll, food they have left in 'fridge (I'm not proud!) jam, mayo, milk etc. Plus the obligatory pack pf frozen peas, at least once a month!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

greenbarn wrote:
Well I'm slightly different. I always make sure there is a brand new toilet roll on the holders but I find it easier to leave half used ones in a basket on a bathroom shelf. I only remove them when they build up, but mainly they get used, so I guess guests don't mind using them if they run out. I have so much stuff to take in and out every changeover that it's just another thing to remove. I don't leave a collection of half used food though! (not that I get much left, except the usual slab of unwrapped butter in a dish and recently, a bowl of uncovered raw chopped onions which stank the fridge out! :roll: I'm liking the tax deduction though; hadn't thought of it like that! :wink:
Essar

Post by Essar »

3 stays ago I found 2 Magnums (white ones) in the freezer. So whilst waiting for the next guests to arrive I shared them with my next door neighbour who was sitting in the garden. New guests arrived mid-Magnums, I explained how they were left and that we were enjoying the last guests leftovers. Well knock me down with a roll of celloptape; these guests duly left me a Magnum (Toffee) in the freezer. Again, new guests arrived mid-Magnum, I explain again and today I'm left 3 empty Magnum wrappers - 8a$tard$.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

oldpolicehouse wrote: OD has their new price yearly payment being restructured on the 16th July 1 price for all and 1 price for payg. so I am waiting till then to pay the annual fee
I have signed up to TA but not pressed the button to go live yet I want to wait till I have had my first guests what do you think

Susan
Susan, unless you are going for payg, why wait until AFTER the price goes up? i am not with OD any more but I am assuming it is the same as Homeaway.com and VRBO which are both leaping up in price in a few days (July 11th for us) for a bog standard classic listing. If you are already doing so well with other sites, you may not need TA at all so I would be inclined to hang back a little longer, if I were you?
tavi

Post by tavi »

FelicityA wrote:
oldpolicehouse wrote: OD has their new price yearly payment being restructured on the 16th July 1 price for all and 1 price for payg. so I am waiting till then to pay the annual fee
I have signed up to TA but not pressed the button to go live yet I want to wait till I have had my first guests what do you think

Susan
Susan, unless you are going for payg, why wait until AFTER the price goes up? i am not with OD any more but I am assuming it is the same as Homeaway.com and VRBO which are both leaping up in price in a few days (July 11th for us) for a bog standard classic listing. If you are already doing so well with other sites, you may not need TA at all so I would be inclined to hang back a little longer, if I were you?
Felicity I'm still trying to decide - but I'm guessing if we renew now up to the 11th deadline....we'll get trapped straight into the online payment scenario....? What do you think? HA always have a strategy behind their every move.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think the deadline change relates only to the tiers not being available after that? This makes my normal classic much more expensive ( well they need the money, don't they, poor things).

However you are right, they cannot be trusted. I am just hoping that having paid extra not to have BIN, they will not renege on that for the term of the subscription. I know that I will sink to be the lowest of the low, having not BIN and taking no booking through the site. I am hoping I might have some company in my pit.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

FelicityA wrote:I know that I will sink to be the lowest of the low, having not BIN and taking no booking through the site. I am hoping I might have some company in my pit.
Don't worry, I'm right there with you at the bottom of the stinking pit feeling well and truly punished! :wink: