French Double glazing

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
marrum31

French Double glazing

Post by marrum31 »

Hello, I was wondering if any of u could help me out with the problem of french double glazing.

I live in Belgium. Here and in Holland double glazing is very expensive (i go rather green with envy whenever i see the 'Bog Off ' adverts on the telly). Today I spoke to someone who renovates houses in my area and they said that they order all of their windows in the uk because the french style windows are not as good as the Uk version and are vastly more expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have never bought double glazing in the uk but from what i have seen from TV prog.s and adverts it seems very cheap there.

Thanks in advance for any info u can give me
Becky
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I initially found window prices similar in price in the UK & France.

Then I found BricoDepot. Their hardwood windows & 'french windows' are very cheap, but some of the fittings are not necessarily top quality.

The main difference though is that windows in France open inwards, & in the UK outwards. The wrong windows could have an effect on a later sale of your house.

Robert
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would imagine though that you could have the windows ordered in the UK to whatever spec you wish. Not all of them are standard sizes anyway. We have a large window in our conservatory that opens inward .
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

i am used to windows opening inward (doesnt half make putting stuff on ur window sill hard)

Thanks for the info! I will have to practice my french a bit before i try hitting the builders merchants tho lol
Becky
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marrum,

I know nothing of the price comparison between France and the UK when it comes to double glazed windows so have nothing to contribute on that score.

I lived with double glazing in the UK and now I live in France. My house has French double glazed windows throughout and I simply do not understand the suggestion that they are "not as good as the UK version". In what way I wonder? Could you elaborate please?

Fluffy
SmileyT

Double glazed windows

Post by SmileyT »

I have installed windows in the UK and France. There is little comparison in the general quality. The windows and doors available in the Bricos are by comparison cheaper than in the UK although I believe that custom made are considerably more expensive from what I have been told (I've only used Brico ones in France). If you are to order them in the UK and take down you can get then inward opening but the price increases. Then you have to order them, ship them etc. It would probably be viable on a bigger project, but only if you already plan to drive and transport other equipment
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

Alan Knighting wrote:Marrum,

I simply do not understand the suggestion that they are "not as good as the UK version". In what way I wonder? Could you elaborate please?

Fluffy
I was just repeating what the lady said to me. She said the quality wasnt as good and comparable to the double glazing in the UK in the 80's.

I know the good quality and high prices of Belgian and Dutch double glazing but i have no idea of the English and French. I wasnt sure if it was just a question of 'if it isnt what we know and what we are used to' mentality or fact.

Becky
Becky
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Becky,

I guess it was just one of those "smart" things to say. Some people are like that you know.

Mine are solid mahogany frames with built-in draft and condensation excluders and multi-point bolting systems. They work for me and that’s all I need to know.

Fluffy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I had a guy round today to give me a quote for a new double glazed window. The quality was excellent,on a par with UK.The pair of windows is something like 1700mmx 1m, double bars, double glazed with mosquito nets,sustainable hardwood,ready painted a colour of my choice,loads of security features,the old window taken away and the new one put in for a total of 1350 euros. I will be getting more quotes but that's not bad for a company to come and do it :roll:
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

They both sound very good quality and the quote u got seems very reasonable indeed.

quite a bit cheaper than my neck of the woods so from that point of view for me its a win/win situation lol

Becky
Becky
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Marrum

We renovated a house in the Uk 4 years ago and had upvc double glazed units made. We would have preferred wood but couldn't afford it. When we renovated our barn in France we had wooden double glazed units made to measure by a local company as we were stuck with the openings already there. I have to say, the price and quality were exceptional for the French windows, much better than the British upvc which we fitted ourselves (the French windows were supplied and fitted).

Sarah