meter readings for EDF

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Hells Bells

meter readings for EDF

Post by Hells Bells »

Can I do this online?
enid

Post by enid »

Sorry can't help you but just wanted to say that we have a small box on the outside of the house which EDF scan for a reading so we don't need to be here for them to do it.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm not sure if you can... though that would be very nice. We have our property managers do it on-site.
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid, I think we may have a box they scan too, as it turned out the reading on the bill was exactly the same as our meter (electricity is currently turned off-no pun intended).
garlic

Post by garlic »

They only ever read our meters once a year, the rest of the bills they estimate...Usually over :( We phone them and give them a new reading if the bill is too painful and they send out a fresh one...They're quite helpful and easy to talk to.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They only read ours once a year too, as it happens the reading was correct so it's irrelevant until next time. The 'guardien' has a key for emergencies, but not an alarm code, so he couldn't have let them into the apartment.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

We have one of those outside metre things in one of the houses too but it wasn't read for ages. We were paying 137 euros a month for our holiday home then suddenly 700 euros was put in the bank a/c for over payment but I wasn't notified. Lovely surprise but I haven't yet seen the facture to find out how much electricity we actually used ( nothing like 137 a months worth !!).The other house has a box inside which can't be read unless you have access to the house but this one seems fairly accurate-it's estimated all the time apart from one reading a year and it wasn't far out,the one that they can get to to read from outside seems to have been hugely overestimated :? Doh :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Nessie

Re: meter readings for EDF

Post by Nessie »

HelenB wrote:Can I do this online?
Yes you can. They still come and read our meter once a year but every 2 months they send us an email to to remind us to read the meter, we then log on and enter the meter reading.

EDF use to come every 4 months to read and were never happy as our meter in is a small wood in the farmer field and they always get covered in mud
Nessie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Now I need to decide if we are on the right tariff. How do I find out about the options available? I suppose they;re on the wbesite, but i don't suppose I can just change it there?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You can see the details of different tarifs here
http://particuliers.edf.fr/rubrique12.html

You can't just change tarifs yourself, a technicien has to come out and change your meter.
Personally I would ask EDF to do an étude before you tell them what you want to change to. They will go through your peak use times, the appliances you use etc. and advise you on the most cost effective option to suit your requirements.
garlic

Post by garlic »

We use heures creuses/heures pleine...Basically we get cheaper elec after 10.30pm and before 6.30am...so water heater etc are timed to work then...works well for us...edf had to come out to make it happen and we've got some sort of thingy in the meter box...not very technical sorry!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks, I think we already have the correct meter installed, but it's just on the standard tariff at the moment. As our property is used more in winter, I suppose our consumption is higher too.