Looking for a good painter

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Conor

Looking for a good painter

Post by Conor »

Hi,

I'm presently looking for a good painter to decorate an 80m2 3bedroomed apartment in Collioure/Perpignan. Anybody able to recommend someone? Also What would you consider to be a reasonable quote?

Thanks,
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Don't be surprised if the quotes you get shock you, employing painters is expensive in France. I decided to paint my own house when it was renovated (150m2) to save some money, probably around 10000€. I also bought and brought over all the paint from the UK as it is expensive and a lot of it of dubious quality in France. Ask your friends and neighbours for recommendations - I have found someone now who is French and registered and works on his own, his prices seem a lot cheaper than the larger SARL companies I have had quotes from in the past. Also for rented properties, I don't want a super professional job as things get knocked and scraped by the renters all the time, so repainting needs to be done often and therefore cheaply.
Marion

Post by Marion »

My experience is the same as Susan's. My friends two bed roomed 74m2 apartment cost just over 5000euros to have painted and this was cheaper than the other quote at 6500 euro. I find this an incredible price. Paint here is very expensive and not usually not as good unless you go for the Dulux brand.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Conor

Post by Conor »

Thanks a million for the help. I thought it was just me!! I think I'll jsut roll up the sleeves......DIY seems to be the best option!!

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

Conor.
SmileyT

Post by SmileyT »

Yep, best option. Paint and labour is VERY expensive by UK comparisons. I have a 4 Bed 3 storey house and the estimate I was given to simply whitewash all the house was 10k. Don't buy any of the cheap paints, you'll just end up giving it 3 or 4 coats instead.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All, :D

In Spain our houses are between the Salt Lakes & the Sea.......Both lovely views but the high salt intake plays havoc with the paintwork,especially on the Gates, metal grills & shutters.

Hubby has had to repaint them each year which is quite a task...[I help by watching him :oops: ] especially as theyre are 2 houses.

Weve tried a few different ones but I wondered if there is a metal paint that someone could recommend.....

Thanks everso... :D
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Ros, not near the sea :( but we use hammerite on the gates and has lasted years. Perhaps there is a similiar type in Spain there is here in France but so expensive compared to the UK.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks for that Johnel :D

Weve tried that.....I thinks its definetely the salt in the air causing the problems......

The local hardware shop chap is very helpful and speaks quite good English , as his shop is in this area he must know the best solution hopefully.
[it can get tiring watching hubby paint he keeps blocking my sunshine :wink: :roll: :D ]

When we go next week I will pop & see him....[Better than the large stores I had someone in fits once trying to ask for sand paper in my cr*p Spanish]
Conor

Post by Conor »

As a complete novice, can I just say thanks for the wealth of friendly advice that you all so generously give. This is a fantastic site!

Conor. :P
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Conor...Welcome... :D

Where is your place? .....

Your right they are a great bunch. :wink: ......I dont know a lot but thats good cause I ask a lot of questions [& I mean a lot] as i havent much of a clue :roll:
and hopefully that way others pick info up as well......

But dont be shy ask away :wink: :D
Sallys Chateau

cheap paint

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Hi Conor, Are you still searching for a painter ? Meanwhile be brave and do a deal with your local paint shop. I would like ...., whats your best price ? I did and now buy all of mine VERY cheaply, and it's good. (That's after I had painted most rooms white and expensively) of course. Bit like the Fourth Bridge here though....

www.chateaulasserre.com