LMH: Do you mind people stealing your ideas?

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

In my day job, I belong to an organisation called Professional Image Creators. Similiar to LMH, it's an organisation of around 300 professional photographers from around the world who answer questions and impart (often astonishingly detailed and commercially sensitive) information to each other - PIC also acts as as a pressure group when common problems arise and a talking shop for like-minded people. It differs from LMH in that it's a closed list, you have to be a bona fide professional to be accepted and agree to some rules set out for mutual benefit. 'Lurkers' - those who take but return nothing are activly discouraged and rule breakers are removed.

In my short time on LMH (at first lurking and then joining) I have already gleaned a fair bit from members generously sharing their expertise - knowledge that I will turn into hard cash in the months and years to come. In return, I will contribute what I can to the common pot. But LMH is an open list and anybody can wander by and take all that's on offer without returning anything. Maybe even set up in competition down the road from you after absorbing all your kindly supplied knowledge.

I thought about this today because a member asked me for my website. Having just outed myself as a pro photographer, I thought that I wouldn't be the crispest hob-nob in the packet if I told everybody on the internet where I lived as well. Which is a shame because I would have been interested in members' comments.

I haven't really thought this through yet, just asking the question if LMH might serve its members better if it was a closed list - or at least had some sections that were password protected? Apologies if you been here before.

Jim
Mountain Goat

Re: LMH: Do you mind people stealing your ideas?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Apologies if you been here before

Hi Jim, good to see you out of the darkroom!

The idea of private sections has been mentioned before, not only by myself; it might touch a raw nerve or two. As a new member myself, I'm sympathetic to anything radical being stamped on by those who know better.

I feel we're too exposed (literally with Google's current abilities) to have uninhibited posts about our rental listing sites, as their owners/employees watch things pretty closely here - sometimes to our advantage, quite often not.

Also stuff about our guests, and (in our case) local village politics and corruption could be aired, but can't be. I've got enough dirty linen to reveal which would close down our entry into the EU. (Goat, for Pete's sake loosen off that stuff).

A good argument against the idea is that how do you police entry into the private sections? What about the legal implications? Would we take it in turns to bring Paolo his Heinz baked beans in some godforsaken jail? And, above all, what would become of his wife's shoe fund? These are all important points to consider before taking the plunge.

So, in the meantime, back to the latest on ironing machines for me, it's safer.

MGoat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Jim,
I thought about this today because a member asked me for my website. Having just outed myself as a pro photographer, I thought that I wouldn't be the crispest hob-nob in the packet if I told everybody on the internet where I lived as well. Which is a shame because I would have been interested in members' comments.
That was me and I only asked so that we could see the pictures of your rental property and for no other reason.

I take your point about ideas being “stolen� but it doesn’t worry me in the slightest. If I am able to answer a question then I will answer it. I don’t mind what happens to the answer, it’s all in the public domain as far as I am concerned. I think of LMH as an open space, not as a closed one.

MGoat,
I feel we're too exposed (literally with Google's current abilities) to have uninhibited posts about our rental listing sites, as their owners/employees watch things pretty closely here - sometimes to our advantage, quite often not.
If privacy is a concern then use a pseudonym, don’t put your Web Site in your Profile and never publish your postal or e-mail address.

I’ve been a member since the 18th October 2004, for my sins I am the second most prolific poster (this will be my 2010th) and one of my Rental Sites has always been given as my Web Site. It hasn’t resulted in an inundation of unsolicited messages.

Relax! Wash your dirty linen and put it through your latest ironing machine.

Fluffy

PS: Did your mother never tell you not to expose yourself in public?
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm also quite new here, so here are my thoughts, for what it's worth.

I've learned the most enormous amount from this forum, more, I think, that I could ever put back in! It seems to run as a kind of mutual support group :)

I've got loads of good ideas from here - but my using them doesn't take anything away from the person who supplied the idea.

There were many questions that were answered for me by a quick search. I don't think of this as stealing someone's idea - I'm grateful for the information and hope to be able to reciprocate in areas which I know more about.

That's one of the great things about the net - that people do freely share information. I'm sure there may be some people who never give anything back, but they aren't getting the best out of the forum, then - so they only lose in the end.
Martha

Post by Martha »

And that was my 100th post! :P

A long way to go before I catch you though, Alan Knighting

:D
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I have been mainly "a taker" on this site, as our rental house hasn't been built yet and I have yet to take a real booking! I don't really feel comfortable giving out advice as I have no experience in order to do so. Having said that, given time and bookings should come experience and then I will be in a position to put back, hopefully!!

If this was a site that you needed to be a bone fide holiday home rental owner in order to gain information, I would have been buggered! I would not know half of the things that I do now, gained purely through the generosity of the members of this board who are more than happy to give advice.

Michelle

[/quote]
gh

Post by gh »

'Stealing' is such an abrasive word, sharing I prefer, which we do oodles off. We ask, for example, if we can borrow a phrase or wording that we like from another members site, or an idea to make our guests have a better experience. Not forgetting the problem solving and general letting off steam. One big happy family of rental owners.
Maybe even set up in competition down the road from you after absorbing all your kindly supplied knowledge.
:idea:
Business is a good game - lots of competition and a minimum of rules.You keep score with money."N.Bushnell."
Says it all. Why not. LMH is a 'talking shop' like your PIC forum; for like minded people who are; or going on to be, bona fide rental home owners.

Jimbo wrote:I thought that I wouldn't be the crispest hob-nob in the packet if I told everybody on the internet where I lived as well.

Listing site link would not be too disconcerting. Intrigued as to the quality of pictures you have.

Michelle you are so fortunate in finding LMH before you are renting, we found it 3 years after, and again, thank you all and Paolo; for their input so selfishly given to aid and help others with less experience in many areas of ownership.
debk

Post by debk »

Maybe even set up in competition down the road from you after absorbing all your kindly supplied knowledge.
I'm firmly on the fence regarding private/closed LMH... but competition did set up down the road from me, and stole text straight from my website, including images. It was a hassle getting them to stop (only to find out last week they are friends of our neighbors :shock: ) but they did.

In the past year, they have pulled together about 25 properties which they are trying to manage themselves in downtown Lisbon. Which goes to show that you can copy words and text, but not much more. And I think saavy renters know the difference.
debk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I completely agree with Alan on this one.

And I seem to remember that I used to be second for post numbers -- Fluffy, you've been prolific in your posting! :)

I haven't gone back and read all of my posts, but I believe that all the advice I have given was given freely and with the expectation that people would (well, at least they might) use my ideas.

Perhaps, though, we are a bit biased in a population sense. Many people here have given up the very "rat race" which breeds those maliciously competitive people, and we have all chosen to make a living (or part of it) helping other people make their holidays. Of course that doesn't preclude the presence of nasty people, but I think it makes them more of a rarity than they might be were this a forum dedicated to the ins-and-outs of another field.

(Oddly enough, the first field that pops into my mind is the practice of law... wonder why that is... and whether Alan and Alexia can attest to that! :) )
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

When it comes to things like the law there's a fine line between giving general pointers and giving "advice". For a lawyer, giving advice is his stock-in-trade and it's not going to be given away for nothing any more than I would give away a free week in my gites.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Posted twice - see the one below!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Vally

Post by Vally »

We have just "closed" the other forum I am with , it limits members, but this was a chance we decided to take, think we are a bit "clicky" anyway and its hard for newcomers to get into the swing , unlike on here, but it does make the board more relaxed and you get rid of "anons"
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

vrooje wrote: Many people here have given up the very "rat race" which breeds those maliciously competitive people, and we have all chosen to make a living (or part of it) helping other people make their holidays. Of course that doesn't preclude the presence of nasty people, but I think it makes them more of a rarity than they might be were this a forum dedicated to the ins-and-outs of another field.
Well-put, Brookie; we still feel nervous if a competitor springs up nearby, but there's nothing much we can do about it except to continue to look after our guests well so they spread the word, and return to us and not to newby down the road!

Jimbo, love the 'not the crispest hob-nob in the packet'; will certainly steal that! But perhaps not use in conversations with my guests (even if I'm tempted!)

I, too, would love to see your property website please! If it has your home address on it, you're already sharing it on the internet. If you are happy to point us to your URL, there are things we can all probably learn - as you know, there's nothing more effective than 'teaching by example'...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hmmmmm interesting question. I can definitely see the down side ie someone close to you taking your knowledge and using it against you but I think there are more posititves from sharing. I too feel that I take a lot more out than put in but if you think about it that must apply to all but the few very experienced and long time members here, the very fact that so many people contribute make it unlikely that one person could give more than they receive. Thinking about those last few words that just about sums it up really, Mum and Dad always taught me that it is better to give than to receive, yes, you may get kicked in the teeth now and again but that's life. It also sums up why this is such a lovely forum, very supportive and keen to help = many friends and a warm fuzzy feeling, worth quite a lot in this day and age. :D
For what it's worth I will add that I am aware that the money making side of these ventures are more important to some than others, whether by want or need and those will guard their 'secrets' more and that is their perogative but as already said will miss out somewhat on the feel good factor of being here.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I post on another forum too. Some forums are available to all, and others only to members. There is also one solely for admin and moderators.