Managing agent advice

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Rosehill

Managing agent advice

Post by Rosehill »

Despite having a good year last year for bookings this year at the moment we only have a handful of bookings and considering changing agents.

We currently use Cottages.com as we are based in Yorkshire and the property is by the coast in Devon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
SusanMay

Re: Managing agent advice

Post by SusanMay »

This has been asked many times before and the general consensus seems to be that what works for one owner doesn't work for another. People have advised that you try to put yourself into the mindset of a prospective guest, google likely words, and see which sites come out near the top. Recently another hatter said he had done this and found that holidaycottages.co.uk (I think) did well. Having said this if you advertise with cottages.com you are getting a pretty good coverage already as they advertise on lots of sites, including airbnb and booking.com.

Another recommendation is to try to find smaller niche sites where your cottage would appeal, dog owners, cycling, walking, the area were your cottage is, etc.

The issue might not really be down to your current agent. I'm also finding that things are slow this year, with, in particular, June, July and August still having lots of availability which is unusual. I'm wondering if this is a more general thing? Anyone else reading this finding the same or have you got roughly similar, or even more, bookings that you usually have by the start of March? If there is a general slowdown at the moment I wonder if people are leaving it later or thinking they might not have hols this year due to cost of living worries. Or perhaps more people have decided to go abroad after the Covid years staying in the UK for hols. Any thoughts?
newtimber

Re: Managing agent advice

Post by newtimber »

I think the general consensus is that bookings are down on last year. There has been a considerable increase in supply in recent years and demand is probably settling down to its more normal level after Covid.
I expect some operators will leave the market which will then reduce the supply and enable those remaining to be able to get enough bookings to keep their businesses profitable.