Building my first website - who should I go with?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
website

Post by website »

The only downside is that 24 x 7 Technical Support is not included.
Well that is the same as 1&1 then !! I kid you not !! The only difference is that 1&1 say it is 24/7 !!

Take a look at the following link. This might help you decide.

I quote a small passage from it.

We host more UK websites than any other provider, making us the number one choice for seasoned internet professionals, businesses, families and web beginners.

fasthosts.co.uk/hosting/uknumber1/

Good luck :D
Ski in Winter - Relax in the Summer
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Re Fasthosts

Despite the glowing reference from 'website' I have to make the following points:

1) My experience of Fasthosts' technical support has been less than impressive.

2) Don't choose any hosting outfit without a thorough check of the feedback on their customer forums (if any). Ignore any hosting setup without a customer forum.

3) The quoted blurb about Fasthosts is hardly an independent opinion and of limited value.

4) We host more UK websites than any other provider - would be interesting to know what this actually means. What is a UK website? UK extensions only?

5) Their claim to be the UK's No. 1 host appears to be based on Windows 2003 hosting only.

6) the number one choice for seasoned internet professionals - I have dealt with 30-odd 'seasoned internet professionals' over 6 years - not one has recommended Fasthosts.

7) Research independent professional web forums and try to pick out the unbiased recommendations (not easy) - most participants have got something to flog under the guise of genuine advice.

MGoat
website

Post by website »

everyone's got something to flog under the guise of genuine advice
If this is aimed at me what am I flogging Mountain Goat. Come on enlighten me.
Research independent professional web forums and try to pick out the unbiased recommendations (not easy)
This is independent advice from someone that has built quite a few websites and used quite a few companies to do this.

As mentioned I have used Fasthosts, 1&1 and Pipex. I found 1&1 to be good first of all but this changed and I moved to Fasthosts. Also (again as mentioned) I have used and continue to use Pipex for one of my websites and this is ok.

I don't work for Fasthosts nor sell any Fasthosts packages.

Why do you look at other peoples comments and try to make them sound like they have a hidden agenda?

I am interested to know.
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

MG, I took this to mean that when researching those forums where experienced professionals gather to talk about which hosts are best and which are worst (much as we do with listing sites -- though I wouldn't consider myself a pro!), one should always consider the source. True?

I definitely agree, if so. :)
Webspace: 2,500 MB
Data Transfer: 100 MB
As I mentioned before, that space limitation is probably well beyond what any of us need for our websites.

The data transfer limit worries me a bit, though. Here's why:

Let's say that you have your 15-page website, and each page has an average of 3 images on it, each of which is 20k in size. That would be a well-optimized set of images, and that's probably a low average given that your site would likely have images as headers, menu items, stuff like that, as well as photos of your property.

Anyway, that means that if someone viewed every page on your site, they would use up 900k of your data transfer allocation to do it.

With a transfer limit of only 100MB, your 112th visitor for the month would put you over the data transfer limit. Presumably they would either be denied, or you would have to pay for every kB that you are over the limit.

That's not a lot of visitors. Even if you say that most users won't view your whole website (true), and estimate that each would view perhaps 3 of your pages, you're still limited to less than 600 or so visitors per month. Still, not a whole lot, since (please correct me if I'm wrong) that includes search engine bots.

I think it's a great place to start, since Hanorah mentioned that it's free, but in the long term, you'd want a host that counts data transfer in the high GB.

Just my opinion!
Brooke
website

Post by website »

I took this to mean that when researching those forums where experienced professionals gather to talk about which hosts are best and which are worst
Well let's just hope your are correct Brooke. Well having said that it doesn't bother me if your not.

It's just a shame that a member of this forum sees hidden agendas in other peoples postings.

I have also received PM's from people, firstly asking me to look at their websites and suggest some improvements and secondly to let me know that they received a frosty welcome by some members of this forum as well.

Insecure - Someone that tries to make other people look small so they can look big.

We have all met them ! :D
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
paolo

Post by paolo »

Forum rule number 1:

"Be nice! It’s fine to attack an opinion but not the person expressing it."

Please observe.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mountain said,
7) Research independent professional web forums and try to pick out the unbiased recommendations (not easy) - most participants have got something to flog under the guise of genuine advice.
Hi Website,
As you havent got anything to flog this cant be referring to you so why did you assume it did... :?:

Also have I misquoted Mountain or did you?
website

Post by website »

Ros as you have said, you are not sure, the same with Brooke. It could read one way or another.

It's cleverly written to do this. It is insinuation.

If this comment was made after a general posting then I would agree with you and Brooke but if you read the rest of the posting and then read the last comment I have a good idea what is meant.

Why would you be saying words like independent and unbiased.

My posting is exactly that. In fact I have got a 1&1, Fasthost and Pipex website as we speak. Surely I am in a good position to give independent and unbiased advice.

Fathosts do a "partners" program. If you sell one of their packages you get some money for it. To do this though you have to click a link within a website and not go directly to them. This way they can track who they owe the money to. Maybe MG thinks I am doing that. There is a flaw in the plan though, I gave the direct website address to Fasthosts and not a link to my website. Simple reason being I am not a partner, I do not sell Fasthosts products !

Also having had a look at MG website, they don't even use one of the companies that we are talking about and use a holiday letting website ! Surely having dealt with 30 odd seasoned internet professionals over 6 years they could of got one of them to build a website for them.

If this was a one off attack on my posting then I could say nothing was meant by it but MG did exactly the same on a previous posting.

I am leaving it there though as I do not want to waste anymore of Paolo time and mine come to think of it !!

Cheers :D
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ros as you have said, you are not sure
Website are you misquoting me as well as Mountain where did I say that!!!!

Mountain actually said this...
[/quote]most participants have got something to flog under the guise of genuine advice.
[/quote]

If your going to quote people especially using the Quote phrases please make sure your doing it correctly.
website

Post by website »

especially using the Quote phrases
Ros I never used the quote phrases.
Also have I misquoted Mountain or did you?
That says to me you are unsure.

If you knew you would have said. I have misquoted or you have misquoted.

Cheers :D
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

website

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:32 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

This was what you said[with quotes]

That says to me you are unsure.

If you knew you would have said. I have misquoted or you have misquoted.

Cheers

I am SURE youve misquoted me[maybe I was being too polite..]
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ok, this may seem like a strange post but I'm going ahead anyway....both size 9's forward BIG dive........

I'm a straightforward kind of gal and too many inuendos confuse me, this is what I see but I could be blind as a bat....members can offer services as long as they are up front about it, yes ?

As far as I can tell 'website' has offered website design because it is a hobby which he enjoys, yes ? Only thing is, 'website', you do have a website offering website design, so how can that be a hobby, does that make you a naughty boy, I don't really know to be honest, but I guess that's up to Paulo to decide.

As far as this particular thread goes I'm totally lost but then again it is 'technical' so no surprise there then.

Sorry if this all seems a bit blunt but my Dad's not doing too well at the mo and I find it makes me a bit....pleaseeeeee, what IS going on :cry:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
website

Post by website »

Who is misquoting now. I never said this, quotes or no quotes, you will see that MG did.

Polite, ummm. Well the jury's out on that.

Being new to this forum, as Ros pointed out in her last post, I think some people should really take stock on how to correspond with others, new or old.

As mentioned I have had PM's asking for me to help them, whilst asking they have mentioned about some on this forum that need to improve their etiquette.

That's all from me on this thread. :D

Gino, if you need any other help, please PM me. :D
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
website

Post by website »

Just to answer Partridge.

I used to build website for friends and family. Other people started to ask me to build sites for them (through word of mouth). They said "have you got a website I can look at" and I used to say no.

So, I built one. So yes I have got a website offering my services.

For me doing something as a hobby is doing it in your spare time. This is what I do.

I friend of mine does the same, she has our own website too. Don't really see the problem. In fact someone that builds websites, albeit in their spare time, that hasn't got a website is an oxymoron in itself.

This is not my main profession and will never be. It's a hobby as previously mentioned.

Hope this clears up any questions you may of had. :D

I hope your Dad feels better :D
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm donning my administrator's cap, which I hate to do, but there you go.

Paolo has already posted regarding the forum rules. That applies to every one of us, every post, no matter what posts came before it. If you feel you are the one being personally insulted, that does not mean you have the right to insult someone back.

Making exceptions to the "attack the opinion, not the person" rule is just one way to create long threads full of less-than-polite personal comments. The better thing to do is just ignore what you perceive as a personal attack, or, if you must respond, respond to the offense, not to the offender -- i.e., continue to follow the forum rules as you do so.

Most times when someone takes a post personally, it turns out to be a misunderstanding, one which is easily resolved when both sides follow the forum rules.

Anyone continuing to post personal attacks on this thread (however cleverly disguised) will find themselves banned very quickly, having now been warned twice.

Now, I suggest that we drop this whole mess and simply return to the topic at hand -- or, perhaps, drop it altogether until we hear back from the original author of the thread. Perhaps we have already answered all relevant questions!
Brooke