Getting to grips with vandalism in rural France

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
enid

Post by enid »

Just been to the UK and had lunch with our kids - my son was talking about some friends of his who have young children. He was bemoaning the fact that they weren't given clear boundaries and that the rules changed so that for the children it was always worth trying it on as often the parents relented.

Then he brought tears to my eyes by saying - 'you were a great Mum - we always knew where we stood and if we went too far you just gave us one look and that was that - I'm going to try to be a good parent like you'

Well I wasn't the best parent in the world - made loads of mistakes - but I did try to explain to my 2 what was expected of them and why and that they had to try to understand the feelings of others if they wanted people to take account of their feelings. I was so touched by his unsolicited praise. Having brought them up single handed it's good to know they appreciate what I tried to do.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

enid wrote:Having brought them up single handed it's good to know they appreciate what I tried to do.
Tough call, Enid, I bet. I hope my children will say as much of me in a few years... that's all you can really ask for (and more!) isn't it?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

ejc-free wrote:
We have some good friends of whom we're very fond.... we couldn't possibly take them or their children out and about locally - they simply cannot behave and have no table manners
Danish proverb:
Give to a pig when it grunts and a child when it cries and you'll have a fine pig and a bad child.
Jim