Burgundy B&B for two nights? Aug 19&20

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
debk

Burgundy B&B for two nights? Aug 19&20

Post by debk »

My husband, son and I are going to visit http://www.guedelon.com/

and need a place nearby to stay for the nights of Aug 19 and 20th. Any suggestions?

Merci! :)
debk
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Deb..sorry can't help you on any suggestions on the B&B...but what a truly amazing place to visit!!
debk

Post by debk »

Thanks, Crystal. We are pretty psyched! :)

So psyched that we are taking our 11 year old son with us on our 25th anniversary trip to Paris... :roll: ... but how can we not, with such a cool castle just waiting for us all???

HNY,
debk
debk

Post by debk »

Anyone know anything about this particular area? (Or this place?) I'm clueless...

www.athomeinburgundy.com

You know, though, I'm really enjoying being in my guests shoes! :)
debk
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Deb. My criticism would be that the best bedrooms don't have any views ( Velux windows or tiny peep holes ). The rooms with nice views look to be a bit basic :cry: That's all, just thought I'd throw in my 2 € worth :wink:
debk

Post by debk »

Hey, Fraise. Happy New Year!

Problem is, it's the *only* decent place I've found. (Not much time to look seriously but I had the idea that France was overrun with B&Bs... ah, sorry, that's just my LMH skewed view. :wink: )

Fortunately, since it's just two nights, we're mostly trying to find something close to the castle. Location, location, location. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback!
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Deb,
Have you tried the gites de france site? If you click on this link and put in Sait Fargeau, then specify dept 89 on the next page, you get about 9 B&B options in a 10km radius.
http://www.gites-de-france.com/uk/bed_b ... _breakfast
debk

Post by debk »

Hello, Susan. Thank you! I started with FrenchConnections but will try yours now.
debk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Deb,

Susan has a good idea with the GdF site... It seems to me that Burgundy is less anglicized (I think that's a word) than some other parts of France, so there are less rental properties / B&Bs with English-speaking owners. A French site would be a good place to look.

www.a-gites.com is another option, though I haven't searched to see whether they have many results for B&Bs in Burgundy.
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Every B&B owner I have ever come across, French or English, who operate in France, are listed with G de F - it seems to be a much more important directory/organisation for B&B owners to get bookings than it is now for gite owners!
debk

Post by debk »

Brooke, Susan - Thanks again. This is such a help.

GdF was a much better resource, though shockingly slow to get to the one-pager on the properties. Fortunately, the encouraging "English language" flags kept me waiting patiently. :wink:

Sadly, the sundowner rule doesn't seem to apply to GdF owners... but we now have a couple of options and that is a relief.

Thanks again, to one and all!
debk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

DebK, found this site http://www.bonadresse.com/alist_bed-bre ... -nuits.htm a while ago, but haven't used any of them I'm afraid. We used to stay at one near Gevrey-Chambertin, but thats quite way from that fab castle,which is now on my Summer holiday list of places to visit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/for_ ... on/330.cfm

Very friendly, but they don't accept dogs, which is why we no longer stay there.
debk

Post by debk »

Thanks, Helen, that is actually the place I originally listed, above, :) and the only one I found on FrenchConnections so far... still waiting for a reply from them on a followup question. (Though they did answer my first inquiry within 24 hours.) What an encouragement to hear from someone who has stayed there!

As for g-d-f, I didn't receive a single reply to my emails.

Hmmm, does that mean they are all booked or they didn't get my emails or what? :roll: Welcome to our guest's shoes...
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

debk wrote: As for g-d-f, I didn't receive a single reply to my emails.

Hmmm, does that mean they are all booked or they didn't get my emails or what? :roll: Welcome to our guest's shoes...
debk
That's terrible, but they might all be on holiday - it is quite a common time for French B&B owners to shut up shop and take their annual holidays!