Tax de sejour

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
elena

Tax de sejour

Post by elena »

Hi!
could anyone tell me if they charge guests seperately for the local tax de sejour?

Thanks
Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I include it in the rental charges elena. Commune just send you a bill depending on the size of your property here.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I have never been sent one, Does it depend on your size/number of rooms?
Cheers
PC
elena

tax de sejour

Post by elena »

Paul Carmel wrote:I have never been sent one, Does it depend on your size/number of rooms?
Hi Paul,

Here they charge an amount per person per day - it's not much ( around 40 centimes pp ) but with 6 properties it all adds up!!
Think it varies in amount and method of charging from region to region.
Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
marcus

Post by marcus »

Here we have to do a return each year, and pay 15c per person per night.

We don't charge extra or disclose it to guests, we just pay it and grumble that we are bringing benefit to the town so why should we have to pay for the privelege.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Paul, my commune doesn't enforce taxe de séjour, it depends where you live.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks Susan,

That would make sense, I have seen it on hotels but not on any other rentals.
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

marcus wrote:Here we have to do a return each year, and pay 15c per person per night.

We don't charge extra or disclose it to guests, we just pay it and grumble that we are bringing benefit to the town so why should we have to pay for the privelege.
My understanding is that "tax de sejour" is basically a tax on hotel accommodation. I am guessing that there is break-even point where self-catering properties are regarded as falling into the classification but I don’t know what it is.

Marcus and I live quite close to each other, in the Tax District but not in the same commune; he pays tax de sejour and I don’t. When I registered as a Micro-Bic the question of whether or not I was liable to pay tax de sejour was addressed and the decision was “No�.

Like many things in France "c'est bizarre".

Fluffy
Stu

Post by Stu »

Our commune doesn't enforce this either. Our maire is quite a dynamic character and thinks it unfair to charge when visitors are being brought into the area. Good on him!
Ju

Post by Ju »

We have properties in neighbouring villages. One commune imposes the tax, the other doesn't. Luckily the one that doesn't has the bigger properties!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Stu & Syb wrote:Our commune doesn't enforce this either. Our maire is quite a dynamic character and thinks it unfair to charge when visitors are being brought into the area. Good on him!
Good for your Maire! Why should you have to pay (or your guests have to pay) for their stay when they are all helping to increase the incomes of the local commerces and restos by spending their money there?
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Taxe de séjour is definitely enforced where we are, and to make matters more complicated (why simplify?) each commune sets their own rates and periods during which this tax applies.

The tax varies depending on your official tourist ranking (but you have to pay - at the top rate - even if you are not officially ranked).

The commune does not send you a bill, it is up to you to declare and pay (as with all other taxes in France, I believe).

In one commune I pay EUR 1.15 per adult from June to end of September (no charge for children under 16)

In the other commune, the rate on an equivalent property is 1.00 euro per person (children under 13 no charge). Applied YEAR-ROUND, Jan to December.

If you declare earnings from a rental property, the tax authorities will check with the mairie that taxe de séjour has also been declared and paid...(gulp, where's that form?!!)
Marion

Post by Marion »

Is this tax on top of Taxe d'habitation? Do you have to pay both? I was under the impression that the sejour tax wasn't necessary if you paid the habitation tax. - mind you I am not sure where I got that impression from!
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

They are different - and if you are renting out your properties as a business, you shouldn't be paying taxe d'habitation, you should be paying taxe professionelle instead (you pay taxe d'habitation for your own home).
Taxe de séjour is a completely different thing altogether and is levied by some communes who also decide on the rate payable. According to the service vos droits.servicepublic.fr the exemption should only be for children under 13, so Jenny, one of your communes is being generous in allowing you an exemption for children under 16!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Susan wrote:According to the service vos droits.servicepublic.fr the exemption should only be for children under 13, so Jenny, one of your communes is being generous in allowing you an exemption for children under 16!
:D Oh yes, extremely generous, I agree (not!). They promptly take it all back again, though, with a whopping EUR 1.15 per adult per night :wink:

Didn't someone :wink: mention communes which don't enforce taxe de séjour? How nice to have a mairie with discretionary authority to apply rules and regs as s/he sees fit... :shock: