ENGLISH TV SET

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.

ENGLISH TV SET

Post by Guest »

can some please confirm that my TV purchase in London will work in France ( Nice) or I need to buy a new TV in France.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Shak

It depends on what TV you've bought; some do, some don't. A quick phone call to the manufacturer with Model and Serial no. should give you the answer. Even quite basic models seem to self-tune to the local broadcast standard in my experience.

It should also be in the manual which came with the machine, or you could look on the manufacturer's website.

MG
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

As I understand this :

There are 3 systems PAL, SECAM and NTSC

NTSC works in US and US influenced locations
SECAM works in France, Russia and their areas of influence
PAL works in the rest of the world

Some countries use a mixture of systems.

NTSC is consistent (called NTSC M)

SECAM and PAL do not work with each other. Each also varies by country and use different frequencies for sound and vision.

PAL sets will normally retune to other European PAL countries. UK PAL sets have a different sound system, so can't get sound in Europe.

Some sets have multisystem capability (e.g. hotels around Calais ). You are more likely to get a multisystem TV in Europe than in UK.

The cost of conversion is often more than replacement of the TV.

You can use most modern TVs, of any format, using a SCART connector from a video or satellite decoder.

I'm currently using a Belgian PAL TV to receive UK satellite broadcasts through a digi box and SCART connector.

I also have a smaller multisystem TV / Video that I've used in Belgium and France with no problems. It doesn't work in UK !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If your TV has Pal/Secam signal, it will work for French TV. If it is only Pal signam, it won't. If you are only going to watch UK satellite TV, it will work, however.
It should state what the signal is in the TV notice!

subject

Post by Guest »

Thank you all. I was hoping to join French language evening classes. It seams that I should shelf this idea and join evening classses in electronic/communications.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/T ... /List.aspx

This model, is definitely SECAM compatible.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It seems that it is often the cheaper non brand models are compatible, whereas the Hitachi/Sony/Panasonic are not.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Shak,

Keep in mind that its probably cheaper to buy a TV in France than it is in the UK.

If you want to buy in the UK go to the dealers near Tottenham Court Road in London who have multisystem TVs and all other electronics including multiregion DVD players.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Sorry, meant to post earlier, & I think it has been already been sort of mentioned.

If you buy a TNT digibox (very cheap) plug in your french aerial, use the scart from the digibox to your UK TV - No probs!

Much cheaper than buying a new television, and even more rubbishy french channels.

Robert
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Go to http://www.tnt-gratuite.fr/ first and enter your postcode. There is no point in buying a TNT box if there is no TNT in your area.