Tavel Library - suspicious booking enquires

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Kersh

Tavel Library - suspicious booking enquires

Post by Kersh »

Just wanted to warn people of a suspicious booking enquiry I had from Travel Library.

Before I go on, can I just say that Travel Library is an excellent site and I fully recommend everyone sign up. I have had quite a few bookings through them and will continue to use them.

I received a booking request from Steven Douglas who works for the following company:

HALLE RICHARDS INVESTMENTS
178 HIGH HOLBORN
LONDON, WC1V 7AA.

If you receive an e-mail from him, expect it to be a hoax. Reading Travel Library's "Avoiding Scams & Fraudulent Booking Enquiries," he's tried this before.

I got an enquiry for 4 weeks in my apartment for 5 of his colleagues who were on a workshop programme. He provided the names of the staff but he wasn't included. At first I thought great. Then I asked myself, who goes on a 4 week workshop programme ........ in Bad Gastein? :roll:

I sent a response with a price and I got a response saying he was out of the country and would pay by credit card – this is a common theme of his e-mails by the looks of other reports. At this point I though I’d check out the company. I did a Google search, searched the Yellow Pages, even went to Companies House website - nothing!

I'm 99.9% sure it's a scam. I don't know how the scam works but it just isn't right.

I am still in discussion with him - I asked him to tell me what flights his staff were arriving on and asked him to pay by company cheque but after asking for that info, I doubt I’ll hear from him again.

My advice is if you receive an e-mail from Steven Douglas, treat it with caution.

Out of interest, does anyone know how I can report him to the Police.

Thanks
Kersh
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Definitely a scam. Not surprised you couldn't find the company on a search BUT you will find the address.......it is a BED & BREAKFAST :lol:

http://www.londontown.com/LondonHotel/B ... lborn_Hall
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Partridge, good work, that's brilliant!!! I can feel a very sarcastic e-mail to Mr Douglas coming on here.

Cheers
Kersh
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Kersh

Just out of interest, what sort of e-mail address has he used? If it's Yahoo or similar I just forward these scams to abuse@ yahoo.com or whatever, which will clip his wings for a while.

It's fun baiting them, but a waste of time.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Kersh...

Thanks for the warning...Im with Travel Library...its a bit worrying as we are usually a bit spoilt .. Scam wise.... as theyve been soooo obvious this one looks a bit more worrying...well done for being vigilant :wink: ..and Party :wink:

I think you ought to put this in the Scam section as well :wink:

Also have you let Travel Library know :?:
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Mountain Goat, yes it was a Yahoo account. I'll forward the details to them and see if they can deal with the matter. Thanks for the pointer.

Hi Ros, i've not let Travel Library know yet. I'll go on their site and see if I can get their admin address.

Cheers
Kersh