No such thing as a free site!!!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Buckie

No such thing as a free site!!!

Post by Buckie »

Beware of an offer of free listing on "upps", an Austrian based operator. It turns out that the offer is only for 30 days then if you don't notify the company that you do not wish to continue you are automatically signed up for a whole year at a cost of approx £80.00. The company point out that there is information to this effect on their "sign up page" It is too easy to be caught.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Buckie :) ...

Thanks for the tip.....as you say its easy to be caught.... :wink: :)

Im always wary of some of these free ones...when you get into it its just free to register...

But I have had some success from free sites so theyre not all bad...
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I'm presuming you had to register a credit card number with them then to start the free trial? I always avoid offers like that as I always forget to cancel in time. :roll:
Buckie

Post by Buckie »

I did not have to give a credit card but I am now receiving invoices and threatning legal action for the £80. Buckie.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Buckie, if they're Austrian what legal action can they threaten you with in Scotland? :?

Maybe Alan K can advise?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Buckie,

I was never a Solicitor in Scotland so I can't "advise". I suppose they could try to obtain judgement against you in Austria and then apply to a Scottish court for the judgement to be resealed and executed in Scotland. Personally, I don't believe anyone would pursue you through the courts for the amount of £80.

The contractual terms say "Within the first month (30 days) from registration the user has the right to withdraw from the contract in written form by fax or email, if he does not wish to continue online usage which will incur fees from the 31st day." Did you not cancel?

Fluffy
Buckie

Post by Buckie »

Hi Alan, I hadn't noticed the terms of having this "free" site. On the first notification of having to pay, which was three months after the free cut off time, I notified them that I wished to cancel. They are saying that as I did not cancel within the 31 days that I am liable for a full years fee. Buckie.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Buckie,

I think they are behaving within their contractual terms. I remain of the opinion that they will not chase you through the courts but if they do I think you will have to pay up.

Either way, please ensure that you have given them proper notice of termination so that your contract finishes at the end of the thirteenth month.

Alan
chestnut villa

UPPS legal action: AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Post by chestnut villa »

Hi

I have just been reading the posts here about UPPS website and it appears that I have been trapped too. Since Jan 2008 I have received about 60 emails stating:

"Present your business on upps and more European visitors will be guaranteed.

Free trial for 30 days.
Register at: upps-test<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />"

Eventually I signed up for the 30-day trail. Received no bookings or enquiries for that period but only notice from UPPS of unreadable requests for B&B with us which turned into nothing at all. I forgot to cancel, received two demands for money, a threat of being referred to a solicitor and lately receiving a notice of legal action if we do not pay up within 28 days

Does anyone know of ANYONE who has been taken to court by this appalling band of brigands? Have you any tips for me - apart from being more careful in the future

Cheers

Martin Lee
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Martin

Who sent you the notice to pay up the listing company or their solicitors? If the solicitors Google them to see if they exist.

Did they meet their guarantee?
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
olive

Post by olive »

For what it's worth (my agreement, I mean), I agree with Alan.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
chestnut villa

UPPS

Post by chestnut villa »

Chianti wrote:Martin

Who sent you the notice to pay up the listing company or their solicitors? If the solicitors Google them to see if they exist.

Did they meet their guarantee?
It was sent by: Fraud www.upps. at tourism platform
Rechtsanwältin Dr. Sonja Moser
www. salzburg-rechtsanwalt.at

Hellbrunnerstrasse 11
5020 Salzburg, Austria
+43 662 84161671

Who "appears" to be what she represents: I do not understand the ? about guarantee

many thanks

Martin Lee
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

DO NOT PAY!!!!
As the recipient of severel of their threatening letters, even after emailing them to remove from their site, we received the following from our local tourist board (who did something for once).

Dear Member

An NWT member on Ynys Môn has contacted us after receiving invoices and threatening letters from a company called Schrall GmbH in Germany. They operate the “turism platform” (sic) upps.at and have been deluging the trade with emails for the last several months.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with this company such as receiving invoices, unaware that you’d signed up for anything? Or have you knowingly signed up and found it brings you business?

Thanks.

Jon

A member contacted all UK listings and half had paid when threatened (including my colleague) and half (including us) ignored them. After 12 months the registered threatening letters stopped.

I googled Upps and they had been reported to Shropshire Trading Standards who came to the conclusion it was a scam. We are still registered and never received an enquiry.

Upps has been mentioned on this site before for those in the know.

DO NOT PAY!!!

www.northwalesholidaylets.co.uk

this is the link for Shropshire trading standards www.stmem.com/warnings.htm
scroll down for upps but there are other interesting warnings on there as well.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Please don't refer to dodgy sites by their url, as this gives them a link. Please take away the http and www. from the address.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Puckett

Post by Puckett »

I'm being hassled by these rascals.

Has anyone heard of anyone actually being successfully sued by them, or do they just huff and puff and eventually push off and hassle others?
from the Emerald Isle