wordpress - an idiots guide

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
enid

Post by enid »

It looks great and reads very well - I'll have a longer read later but welldone both of you!!
enid

Post by enid »

Well I have to own up to becoming strangely addicted to this blog. Your husband's drivel has given me much pleasure this evening and I hope to meet up with him again tomorrow for more tales from the Vendée - great writing style. Is he this funny all the time?( and a ibt of alooker too :) )
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid, I've enjoyed it too :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

And me three :wink:
Ju

Post by Ju »

We've now decided to have a domain dedicated to the blog, so it has now been moved to www.vendeeblog.net I managed to move it all on my own with no help (well other than the wordpress site) so I am very pleased with myself.

Jon is very pleased to have a fan club!! Not sure he will really believe anyone is reading it until someone leaves a comment though.

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

I'm trying to post a comment - I have registered and am waiting fro my e mail - does this contain a pasword? I want to empathise about the head lice!!!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

enid wrote: I want to empathise about the head lice!!!
Me too :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

enid wrote:
I want to empathise about the head lice!!!

Me too
Well thats got me intrigued now :roll:

....Off to have a look
Ju

Post by Ju »

Thanks Enid - you've made his day!! (he is a simple soul!)

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

I really enjoy reading his posts - I've created an RSS feed to google reader so I won't miss anything new:)
Elle1971

Post by Elle1971 »

I've just delved in... and spent sme time reading his blogs. Loved them!

Especially enjoyed the Garlic Vodka recipe - now that's a method I could use!

Elle xx
Free advertising for owners of pet friendly accommodation
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Well, my well-planned busy morning just got stuffed!

When I sat down to meander through some older LMH posts looking for info on Word Press vacation rental blogs for a seminar I'm giving in Toronto next month, it was 5.30am, dark and snowy outside. It's now coming up on 7.30, the sun is up and we have a winter wonderland....again.

What happened was I got so engrossed in Mr Ju's wonderful blog, I got a tad distracted.

I've been looking for examples of great blogs to demonstrate what can be done with WP, as either support for a static website, or as a stand-alone site.

This is just what I needed to show as some best practice.

An early Sunday morning well spent
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Ju

Post by Ju »

Well I have to say you have made the OHs day. He is very proud of his blog (rightly so) and is realy enjoying his new found hobby of writing.

On the business front, we think it has made a difference. traffic to our website has increased dramatically, but we did make several other changes at about that time so it is difficult to say how much to attribute to the blog. The number of bookings we are getting directly (ie not through listing sites) has also increased dramatically - Listing sites only account for less than half our bookings for this year - with the rest being direct bookings, repeats or recommendations.

I think the blog makes a difference to the repeat guests, as they keep in touch by reading the blog. For new guests I think it makes us seem more real.

Either way it keeps him happy, which makes me happy. (a few comments from his readership would make him even happier :wink:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ju wrote:
He is very proud of his blog (rightly so)
Hi Ju

I think so, too. I drop in from time to time and find his blog an interesting and informative read. There's a Dickens trying to get out of many of us.

Been a thread recently on my pro-snapper forum about the value or otherwise of blogs generating new business when run alongside existing websites. The answer seems to be a resounding yes, providing the blog is well-written and informative and (most importantly) updated regularly. Like baguettes, nobody enjoys a stale blog.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I like the idea of a well-written one too, and recently pointed someone else to Ju's husband's as it's a super example. Would try to do similar if I had the writing skills, but it's a bit more difficult remotely anyway! Maybe if we relocated totally on retirement.
Jimbo wrote:Like baguettes, nobody enjoys a stale blog.
:lol: I agree, it has to be kept up to date and that takes commitment from Day 1! Ju and Jon also have young kids and are extremely immersed in the local community, so there's always plenty to report!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be