"Hotel Mentality"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Oh OK, I thought for a minute you charged for all regular electricity use, such as lights, boiling a kette, electrical appliances!
I don't suppose there has been much use of air con this year...
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

Surprisingly, it's boiling in the forest and we've installed a really good air-con system.

We installed the same one in our own house and so far, we've only used it as a heater!
Fiona
fibi

Post by fibi »

LV, I charge for all electricity usage - even the kettle boiling! Although in Summer when its less than £10 a week I don't bother. In winter before charging I had bills of £80- £100 a week after charging £30- £50! And qualified for a silver energy award for electricity saving too- we reduced consumption by 110% in a year just by charging - put in low energy bulbs and timers and re-insulated and changed some appliances too!

Fiona, just had a look at your website and in a minute or so I could see that you charged for leccy it was very clear - your place is lovely BTW.

Nightowl you are right, and who says the customer is always right!!?Sometimes they will always find something to moan about. Fingers crossed this year we have been lucky, last year we had the ones who complained the sun was too bright in the morning, the cows were too noisy, there were trees everywhere, the pub was 15 minutes walk, didn't like duvets only comforters, needed 4 pillows each - and bathrobes! This was one American family - oh and they didn't like any Scottish food, not that it would do them any harm to starve for a week they must have been 100 stones between them! :D :D
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I dont know why, because base prices are probably cheaper and all I have to do is a little math, but I always click on to the next property when I read that electricity isn't included. l like to know what the total rental is so I can compare.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's a very good point Overboard, although I can sympathise with those owners who charge on top for it if choosing to let in the colder weather.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All..

Some good points as always from you all :wink:
I Wouldnt charge for electric on the normal bookings in the summer but between November-March if I have long lets of a month or more[which I have the last 2 years luckily ]
I charge electric on top if not I would have to make the rate so high in case they ran away with the electric :!:
....[quick someone pick that up..Oh no thatd be me and i said it :roll: ]

I did give the last chap a choice of x with electric included or y without..he chose without and used one of them calor gasey things he bought..so I knew the minimum I would be getting in rent without worrying about electric bills
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

Thanks Fibi.

The only complaint we've ever had was from the very guest of whom I moan, otherwise know as "that Bl%%dy Woman!", who complained that there wasn't a view, just trees and lakes.

The cottage is hidden away in the middle of one of the biggest forests in the area! I suspect the trees get in the way a bit.
Fiona
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Big Sis.. wrote:I Wouldnt charge for electric on the normal bookings in the summer but between November-March if I have long lets of a month or more[which I have the last 2 years luckily ] I charge electric on top if not I would have to make the rate so high in case they ran away with the electric :!:
....[quick someone pick that up..Oh no thatd be me and i said it :roll: ]

I did give the last chap a choice of x with electric included or y without..he chose without and used one of them calor gasey things he bought..so I knew the minimum I would be getting in rent without worrying about electric bills
I'm starting to panic now as I have two long lets. I've already given them a discount on the rental price, but didn't think of charging for electric seperately :?

One is a three month let Jan - March and the other is five weeks Nov - Dec. I'm not on site so can't take readings (even if I knew where my electricity meter was) :oops:

I had a long let last year and my bills weren't too bad, so it never occured to me to charge this year. I suppose I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that we have a mild winter :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Not familiar with how cold it gets down there, but the Nov-Dec bill shouldn't be too bad should it Ali? Fingers crossed the other group are hardy, and are out and about a lot - it is a worry and it seemed to me a bit of a pain to work out how much electricity had been used for each party, esp as, like you, we're not there ourselves to take reliable readings after each changeover, so I still include it - and logs. However for the group coming in March, I have set an allowance (quite generous) for their consumption, over which they have to pay, and I just hope I don't have to get the calculator out!

There is more about this on other threads, but here's one for starters Ali: http://tinyurl.com/yvw39a It begins about something else, but persevere! :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
fibi

Post by fibi »

Fiona,

I had guests too that complained about the views - too many trees and hill things (the trossachs actually). I could hear my OH muttering in true Basil Fawlty style about heards of wildebeasts sweeping the plains - love that programme :D :D Only problem is hubby models himself on Basil a bit too much at times...American guests have real trouble with his sense of humour!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
fibi

Post by fibi »

sorry herds
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

I'm losing the will to live now. Another email about the bl%%dy electricity.

I've emailed back saying that I'm not entering into a discussion but will donate the 19 euros to the local homeless charity.

NEVER AGAIN!
Fiona
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Ali :)

Just read your post have you thought of getting one of them calor Gasey things[or even hiring one] they really are economical I know all my neighbours use em for heating theyre not Ideal but heat really quickly and are really economical..just a thought..especially for the months you mention..it can be very chilly at night where we are I know....and the electric bills can be steep as you know Spanish houses arent built to keep warm the opposite in fact!!!.

Hi Fiona :)
You are having a lot of hassle over this :roll: I do sympathise but dont think I could be bothered for that amount of course as always its your choice :wink: ...
I personally would forget it and send it back....doesnt mean shes won... it means you have better things to do with your time than spend it on someone like this!!!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Big Sis.. wrote:Hi Ali :)

Just read your post have you thought of getting one of them calor Gasey things[or even hiring one] they really are economical I know all my neighbours use em for heating theyre not Ideal but heat really quickly and are really economical..just a thought..especially for the months you mention..it can be very chilly at night where we are I know....and the electric bills can be steep as you know Spanish houses arent built to keep warm the opposite in fact!!!.
I have actually got one and they are fantastic at heating up, but everyone keeps telling me how dangerous they can be. I've left instuctions that when using they must leave a window slightly open because of the fumes, but I get worried in case people decide to buy cheap elec heaters and shove them on all over the place :? I've also got an oil heater which is good for background heating or to put in the bedroom.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well I dont know about that :roll: [maybe others do] I know we have to be extra careful..maybe you could get a carbon minoxide thingy to put you mind at rest...
but nearly all my neighbours use em the only problem is the condensation thing I reckon..[and if your house is like ours in Spain... Ventilation really isnt a problem :roll: ]
People arent stupid surely..I know a few people who rent out and use em as well....
Of course you have to do what you think is right!!!!
Take Carexx

as a PS
When me and Hubby last went out to Spain someone had bought one of them little Carbon minoxide stickers that would show if theyre was a problem[fair enough] but theyd stuck it on our electric water heater :roll: [all our house is electric!!!!!] Hubby did chuckle me being me didnt know any better :roll: until he explained :D