Essential items for holiday homes

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid, it's Zidane
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

La Vache wrote:
Mouse wrote:LV.....who is that handsome chap you have contained in your avatar box????? :)
Ask Mr Mouse - he is the Greatest Ever Footballer.
Not a good idea...as he's a Rugby league fan!! :roll: :) but he's just given it a shot...is it Zinedin Zidane??? :?

If so he comes to Ibiza every year Mr M informs me! So I think you need to get yourself over here LV :lol: :lol:

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
enid

Post by enid »

That's who I meant!! No really I did recognise him but got the wrong name - I'm already on my way to the bottom of the class!! :oops:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

whoops - posted at the same time! :lol:

Mouse
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Yes, it is Zizou, well done Helen and Mr Mouse.
Enid, here is Thierry Henry
He used to be good.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

LV.....who is that handsome chap you have contained in your avatar box?????
I agree he is/was a great footballer..... go back to the head butting bit [glasgow kiss] :roll:
Mind you that was unfortunate and unusual for him and a shame as he was retiring..to get a sending off in the final of the World Cup is not a great way to end was it :( ...
weardalebeka

Re: Essential items for holiday homes

Post by weardalebeka »

well this is what I had on my list (haven't a cottage yet but looking at the moment)
These are items that would have been thought of as luxuries a few years ago
- wi/fi Yep,
- ipod docking stations possibly
- washing machines and tumble dryers, a BIG yes, also airing rack and boot room
- large screen Tvs with full SAT not sure huge falt screens go well in all properties, but good quality TV + at least freeview
- DVD players with DVDs to watch yes, and also video player (old fashioned I know) selection of classic films, hollywood blockbusters and kids Videos,
- power shower yes I hate staying in places where there isn't a shower! if there's enough room then power shower is ensuite to master bed
- bath yep, of course, also baby bath and bath toys for children
- leather suites not always, leather or good quality fabric with washable changeable covers
- cotton bedding yes, with plenty of extra duvets/blankets/pillows in soft and firm, also non rustly mattress protector
- dishwashers yes
- good quality patio furniture yes, plus kiddies trike balls and bats
- digital radios
- towels with no stains and a high thread count yes
- good quality toiletries supplied yes
- candles/throws/cushions/rugs- for ambiance yes
- local artwork on the walls yes, and also craft pieces like locally produced wooden bowls and details of galleries and local artist studio's to visit
- mood lighting yes
- toys for children all good quality and clean yes and in 2 or 3 different age brackets,
- equipment for babies as above yes, a big part of how I plan on marketing it as a parent myself. So cot + travel cot, baby bedding, monitor, stairgate, steriliser etc

optional but really helps with enquiries and bookings
- hot tub
- sauna
- swimming pool

not in my area it won'! but for those of us in colder climes I'd say a log fire/wood burning stove is essential
weardalebeka

Post by weardalebeka »

enid wrote:I take the half used ones and put them in our downstairs loo - the one I call our garden toilet that only we use. So I leave a new on eon the roll and one per person plus one for good luck in a basket. I am a bit fusy about which way the loo roll is on the dispenser - I like my paper fall at the front!!! :D
see this is the type of thing I KNOW I will do! I'd take any half used ones and either use ourselves or put in the outside toilet by cycle store (mainly our use)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We are very strict about only putting brand new loo rolls and kitchen towel rolls in (and using the odd bits of rolls ourselves). The flap on the end must still be stuck down!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'd rather have a neat envelope fold on a toilet roll rather than wrestle with the stuck down bit anyday.
Even in hotels they don't bother to put in a new toilet roll every time, as long as there is 50% or more left, I leave them. And kitchen rolls - I see no reason not to leave them even if they have been used, as long as there is a spare in reserve.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Margaret wrote:We are very strict about only putting brand new loo rolls and kitchen towel rolls in (and using the odd bits of rolls ourselves). The flap on the end must still be stuck down!
Quite right too - but waste not want not. We're using up half rolls at home until around Christmas usually ! My wife goes potty because (apparently) the loo rolls from the gîtes often don't match the colour scheme of our bathroom at home :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Richard D wrote:My wife goes potty because (apparently) the loo rolls from the gîtes often don't match....
Pun intended I take it Richard! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Wol

Post by Wol »

Awwwh! I've obviously missed Zizou :cry:

A use for the cardboard tubes inside toilet roll holders which I bet none of you have thought of - I always have one or two on the shelf in France just in case I need to handle a bat (the chauve-souris kind, not the cricket kind). I should point out that handling bats is neither recommended (in case of rabies and other diseases transmitted if they bite you and they can be vicious little buggers), nor legal unless an emergency rescue situation. Put on gloves and gently encourage it to crawl into the toilet roll tube. It will feel safe because it is dark and enclosed and it can cling onto the rim. Also you are not making the poor little creature smell to much of human by not coming into direct contact with it. Don't stroke it - that will only frighten it more. Once safely inside the tube, tuck the tube, bat and all into a suitable nook or cranny somewhere shady. Check on it in about an hour's time - it should have recovered and disappeared. If not, a trip to your nearest vet or wildlife hospital is probably in order, or a sad disposal of a dead body.

Sorry - outrageous thread creep, I know :oops:
Wol
Not the Wizard of Aus - that's MOH

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We change the loo roll, but put any half=used ones in a basket under the sink. They're inevitably used up.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good tip for the bat Wol!

Another tip...they can be used for gardening; either grow seeds in them, or use them to protect young plants (beans in particular) And if needs be you can sterilise them in a microwave :D

Mouse (joining in the TC)
x