Essential items for holiday homes

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bearing in mind that there will only ever be a limited number of peole in the family/group who gets the benefit of the new toilet roll, and in my experience it is usually one of the kids who is first to use the toilet, I'm not going to lose any sleep over not supplying a fresh one each time. Luckily there are more things for people to get excited about when they stay here than toilet rolls.

Wol, I agree, the cardboard inner bit is very useful for removing all sorts of animals/spiders/insects etc from bathrooms.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mouse wrote: And if needs be you can sterilise them in a microwave :D
Go on, tell all, Mousie! Why would you need to sterilise a toilet roll tube?

RR - I obviously haven't lived yet....
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

It's just our principle of trying to disguise as best we can the fact that other people have used the place before you.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Go on, tell all, Mousie! Why would you need to sterilise a toilet roll tube?
Well in my day you didn't bother about such things when making the Blue Peter pen holder...but apparently these days schools tend to ensure they're sterilised before being handed out to the kids :roll:

Mouse (a tiny mind of useless information)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:shock:

How things have changed! :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Does sticky backed plastic still exist?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Does sticky backed plastic still exist?
oh - there's a memory! One of my 'aunties' (not a real auntie but she lived up the street and went to keep fit with my mum) completely recovered her kitchen cupboards in that. It was 'wood effect'. The street thought it was lovely :lol: I tried it in the shoebox house I made for my Tressy doll :shock:

getting back on thread......I don't reckon it's an essential for guests - tho' could come in handy on rainy days :wink:

Mousie
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV, I don't think that I would bother if I did the changeover myself, but my apartment manager likes to change it for some reason. Lifes too short to worry about it TBH.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

You know LV...thinking creatively and bringing 2 posts together....you could microwave your half used toilet rolls and then tell your guests they're sanitised! :shock: :wink:
It would be a little like those paper banners they put across toilets - does anyone use those BTW?

Mousie
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mouse wrote:You know LV...thinking creatively and bringing 2 posts together....you could microwave your half used toilet rolls and then tell your guests they're sanitised! :shock: :wink:
It would be a little like those paper banners they put across toilets - does anyone use those BTW?

Mousie
x
They are awful Mousie! The last thing you want to do (apart from unstickiing the first bit of the new toilet roll :wink: ) if you are desperate is to get rid of those paper banners.
Does everyone leave toilet brushes BTW and if so how often do you replace the heads, at every changeover? When I worked in a hotel it was considered bad form to have them in the en suites, we didn't leave them as it was down to the cleaners to scrub the toilets. Personally I'd rather have them if I was staying in a rental home, but not with traces of previous guests on them, if you see what I mean.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MY first guests commented that there was no loo brush , and that it would be nice if there was one, so I put one in, but I'm not fond of the things, and make sure it gets replaced regularly.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Personally I'd rather have them if I was staying in a rental home, but not with traces of previous guests on them, if you see what I mean
Oh I do! Perhaps a dedicated microwave might get us over that one!?

Actually - I stand mine in bleach in the little plastic holder thingy (that's not very environmentally friendly is it!?). Bleach says clean to me...it's result of my upbringing (my mother would have bleached me behind the ears if she could :roll: )

I change them about twice a season on average...is that too little?

Actually - thinking about it...do you remove all cleaning products out of bathrooms when children are expected? I've just realised I don't :oops:

mousie
x
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mouse wrote:

Actually - thinking about it...do you remove all cleaning products out of bathrooms when children are expected? I've just realised I don't :oops:

mousie
x
No, but I don't leave bleach as you aren't supposed to use it liberally with septic tanks, so there is only toilet cleaner. I have that in my own house with kids, so I've never worried about removing them from the gites. Guests can always put them out of reach if they are concerned.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We only leave bathroom cleaner in. There is a large stock of cleaning stuff in the boiler room in the cellar, with the vacuum cleaner and iron/ironing board. We plan to shut it all away from children but they are unlikely to get at it anyway.

We have loo brushes in the container thingies. Just bought a load of new ones to do a mass replacement but they are looking OK so far. (bleach!)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Do you have the common plastic ones or ones that are individually designed?

Mousie (who has the plastic ones...but is wondering if that gives an impression of being 'cheap')
x