Retaining money from damage deposit

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Windy

Retaining money from damage deposit

Post by Windy »

Hi

I'd welcome the panel's advice on the question of retaining money from a damaged deposit. The guests who left today broke a table lamp (value £11.95). We have a damage deposit cheque from them for £100 which we have not yet cashed.
They paid as £300 for the weekend. Had it been less than a tenner I wouldn't even be posting this, but I just be interested to know whether other owners would make a deduction here?

The other option I guess would be to make a virtue of not doing so in the hope of generating some repeat business.

What would you all do?

Best wishes

John
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi John,

I would always cash the deposit cheque in advance of their holiday, there's nothing to prevent them from 'stopping' the cheque in the event of a big claim otherwise.

In this case I think it would depend on what they had said to you about the lamp. If they were terribly apologetic then I don't think I'd charge but if they didn't even mention it then I would.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I wouldn't charge for that amount but I don't take a security deposit from guests. Sue

p.s I think I will have to look at my prices! :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks Sue and Kathy

You have comfirmed what I felt was best.

Not sure about cashing the deposit cheque in advance - Sure they can cancel it, but the rental contract that they sign states that "Accommodation will be inspected at the end of the holiday & you may be charged for any loss or damage found. "

In the event of me trying to recoup a serious amount they'd have to have given a false name and address to get away totally, and the fact that they have sent a cheque probably (but I accept not definitely) means they are legit.

J
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Windermere Lodge

I agree with KathyG. If you ask for a deposit then you should cash it. It's too easy just to cancel a cheque and not so easy to recover the funds, hence why some people do it.

Do you know what an honest person looks like or a dishonest one?

Not sure whether I would make the charge for the damage or not, it would depend on the circumstances.

Chianti
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I very recently added this clause to my T&C, referring to security deposit.
Should we need to retain any of these funds, we will notify You in advance of returning the balance and You will have the opportunity to consider the matter.
The intention being that I would write to the guest suggesting that I would withhold a sum of money for the stated breakage, and if they acknowledged it, then I would hold back - even £11.95, but if they contested it or seemed put out (and everything else was OK), then I'd give in rapidly.

Just another perspective for you to consider.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wouldn't charge them for a lamp worth £11.95 if they'd paid £300 for a weekend. Not worth the hassle, the loss of a potential future booking or the bad 'word of mouth' comments.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I agree with LV. I would definitely let that one go and hope your guests had such a good weekend that they'll want to tell loads of other people about it. It's a bit annoying to have a lamp broken, of course, but on balance I'd rather have the goodwill than the 11.95.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks again all - the consensus seems to be to cash the cheques but let the small things go - makes sense to me and good to have it confirmed by you experts!

Best wishes

John
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just out of interest John, did they tell you about the breakage or leave you to find out for yourself?

We're not on site, and in the time, it's quite difficult for the caretakers to spot everything; for example I was there myself last week and there was a huge stain and two smaller ones (of different substances) on a very pretty quilt. Unless the caretakers intended to use it (it's a double and the room is often configured as a twin) they wouldn't find it straight away, and several weeks on it would be difficult to know which group was responsible. Currently at drycleaners and goodness knows how much it will cost, even if they can get it back to normal. A pretty big 'if'.

Similarly the glass jug of our filter coffee maker was broken - large jagged chunk missing from the top, ie still usable with care but plainly a hazard, so I binned it and bought a new appliance. Grrrr. The jug's made of stainless steel this time!

I agree with KathyG - if people own up, (they happily will for glasses, but for nothing larger!) one is inclined to take a sympathetic view, however in our case we don't get the choice, and in practice therefore have never taken any money for damage. Lots more comments on this issue on other threads but I never tire of having a good grumble!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hi GG

I have been REALLY lucky so far touch wood in that we've only had minor breakages

We had:

a Bodrum glass teapot broken and the guest replaced it (with a horrible willow pattern thing but it's the thought that counts isn't it :lol:)

two glasses broken (both time s they told us in the maintenance log that's in the lodge file.)

this light (which they reported to reception as they left, who then passed the message on to us the same hour)

a large heat ring on the dining room table that the guest kept quiet about, but which I sorted using the iron and tea towel trick.

and a small chip out of the edge of a bathroom mirror that we have no idea who did, but which is not too serious.

Like you I worry that it's hard to know exactly who did things if they don't tell you, which I suppose is why I I try to remain relaxed about it. My enquiry was more on the lines of "what do you all do?" to see if I was out of line.

When we used to pay the park to clean they were supposed to do an inventory, but they didn't tell me when I removed the DVD for 24 hours so maybe they weren't as thorough as they might have been :wink: Mind you they were supposed to clean too :roll:

Now we have a different better cleaner but she still didn't report the heat ring to us, so although I THINK I know who did it I can't be sure, and anyway I sorted it out at no cost.

I like to assume that when the bottle of port goes over the lounge carpet that the cleaners will tell me about it pretty quick :D

best wishes

John
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Windermere Lodge wrote:a large heat ring on the dining room table that the guest kept quiet about, but which I sorted using the iron and tea towel trick.
What iron and teatowel trick John - might need to know one day!

And you've just explained (maybe) how we now come to have a second cafetière in the cupboard! We had one as well as the electric filter coffee maker, and now sport two. It was someone's way of compensating us for the damaged filter coffee jug I suspect! :D Oh well, one has to be grateful for the thought.

We have a big new supermarché which has opened up on our side of town, so no excuses when damage or breakages occur in the future...

As for the bottle of port ... all I can say is that we had a valuable-ish but small rug in the breakfast area which acquired a large, noticeable stain, on the edge and it wasn't noticed. We now have a much more serviceable rug in its place. It's plain, it's dark, and it's boring! Ho hum.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi John,

As most of the others have said,
I wouldnt charge for that.
At least they had the courtesy to let you know.

I also always bank my damage/deposit cheques.

I havent had much damage either luckily.

Ive also found a few mismatched things where people have tried to replace little items.
As was said its the thought that counts.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

One set of guests replaced a toaster which packed up, not even their fault. They got one for £4 from the local Co op! It lasted 2 months then stopped. It gave me a great excuse to indulge in a pastel blue Delonghi 4 slice toaster. (and matching kettle)

So, sometimes breakages/breakdowns are to your advantage!

We've discussed this before but it is a juggling act to get housewear that is easily replaced and servicable, but still fits within the standard we're trying to achieve. Like Jane's rug it is a balancing act and learning curve!
Martha

Post by Martha »

We broke three cafetiere glass jugs ourselves in the months leading up to our first season. :roll:

Luckily some friends who we invited to join us heard me saying that I was looking out for something more substantial, and very sweetly bought us a lovely plain stainless steel one as a thank you gift, which has been brilliant and looks just as nice as the glass one. :D

I agree about the lamp, I don't think we'd charge for that.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix