read posts not working for me

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
fincafern

read posts not working for me

Post by fincafern »

I logged on this morning and had the time fortunately, to find 4 subjects I had posted to and had not received any notification. In fact I haven't received an email about posts for three days. My system was down yesterday so I thought it was just me.
I know it's no big deal but greenfrog had replied to me on one and I don't want to appear to be rude by not acknowledging the help.
I am limited for time to spend here and it is great being informed that you have a post and saves me a lot of searching.
This is happening to me a lot lately - can anything be done or is there a glitch in the system ?
enid

Post by enid »

I never get the notification and I don't know why - I always use view posts since last visit.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fincafern,

I log in first thing in the morning and stay logged in all day. Each time I return to LMH any threads which contain new postings since my last visit are highlighted in yellow so it’s very easy to keep up-to-date.

At the foot of each thread I do not have “Watch this topic for replies� switched on so I don’t know whether it is working or not.

In my Profile I have “Always notify me of replies� switched Off; I have “Notify on receiving a new Private Message� switched On and that does work albeit rather slowly.

Maybe you need to “fiddle� with your settings?

PS I know it is stating the obvious but anyone wanting notifications must include their e-mail address in their Profile.

Alan
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thanks for the info, Alan.
The system has my email address but I don't display it. Funnily enough, I was notified of your response this time and that's the first time in 4 days for any notification. It seems to work with me for a new topic but not all the older ones. It is very random. It also won't hold my password, so I have to log in each time which is equally annoying. It used to hold it for me about 4 months ago. That is perhaps another good reason to try your system of staying logged on all day - will try it.
enid

Post by enid »

Aha - I'm getting notifications now - there was a spelling mistake in my e mail address. But whilst correcting it somehow my account got disactivated - thanks to Brooke for sorting me out or I might have become Guest 5,000!!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

enid wrote:Aha - I'm getting notifications now - there was a spelling mistake in my e mail address. But whilst correcting it somehow my account got disactivated - thanks to Brooke for sorting me out or I might have become Guest 5,000!!!
We can't have members of the "old guard" becoming guests, now can we?

Alan
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

But whilst correcting it somehow my account got disactivated - thanks to Brooke for sorting me out or I might have become Guest 5,000!!!
Or blackholed!!! I was there last Feb and it was pretty scarey :wink: :shock: :lol:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

We can't have members of the "old guard" becoming guests, now can we?
Now now, that sounds a bit cliquey :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

So it does!

Thankfully the fix to this one didn't depend on enid's join date. :wink:
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

Now now, that sounds a bit cliquey
Yes it does a little - and not so much of the old Mr Knighting s'il vous plait!

It was thanks to fincafern that I had another look at this and found I hadn't entered my e mail properly - so now Iam getting notifications and all's well with my world (well apart from thsi stinking cold that is!!!!) :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Partridge,

I don’t understand. A “clique� within YHM? Heaven forbid! When I referred to the “old guard� I wasn’t suggesting the existence of any exclusive groups or factions amongst us. They don’t exist, do they?

Enid,

I hope you know there was no offence intended.

On other threads there have been long lists of things apparently wrong with men. That’s OK, I’m sure they were all said with humour.

To continue with the same level of humour, when it comes to being “old� I am reminded of what Mortimer Collins said on the subject:-

“A man is as old as he’s feeling, A woman as old as she looks.�

There is still no offence intended and none should be taken.

To be serious for a moment, the Forum software does occasionally produce “glitches� but they have never been long lasting. As often as not the “glitch� has been down to the way an individual member sets up his/her options or to giving an incorrect e-mail address.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

I didn't take offence at all - you'd think after all this time I'd have got it started!