Christmas cards to old / new guests ?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Partridge wrote:I might consider it if I were an on site owner and had got to know the guests somewhat but seeing as I'm not, I wouldn't, it just feels too cynical to me.
I think I might send a newsletter to past guests (the ones who gave you glowing feedback) - or to those you had to disappoint - when there were improvements to report, eg internet access at the property in our case, and pool heating and other relevant news that might be of interest, such as the new, and larger supermarket recently opened, a couple of minutes drive closer to us. Couched attractively with descriptions of what the season is doing (chirds birping, grape harvesting, that sort of thing.)

This would be timed for when people start thinking about next year's holiday, ie nearing the close of the previous summer.

Featuring news like this in a blog is a good idea, as has been mentioned, but a newsletter is also useful for those who might not happen to be following the blog.

If I had a property which is both a ski and summer venue for visitors, that becomes more tricky as I'd still want to send a newsletter out at a time when people are just beginning to think about making plans, which for the ski season is really before one normally sends out Christmas cards anyway.

It's down to personal choice, but unless I had become very good friends with an enquirer or former guest, I too wouldn't send a Christmas card. Companies do it, and it's simply a means to keep their brand name in the mind of the recipient, and, like Partridge, I don't feel comfortable about using a Christian festival for this purpose. And when they land on my doormat, they don't endear the sender to me or find a place on the mantlepiece.

Sorry - not normally so outspoken. Blame it on our plumbing problems!
(Edit: we were composing at the same time Margaret!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Gascony Goat wrote:chirds birping
:?:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

An attempt at humour LV! :wink:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ha, I thought it was too good to be true that you'd made a spelling mistake!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

What's worse is that I didn't even notice - and I like to think of myself as a proof reader!!! :oops:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I do make typos, esp when I've had a few...though I'm flattered LV that you think otherwise! :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Gascony Goat wrote:I do make typos, esp when I've had a few...though I'm flattered LV that you think otherwise! :D
Actually, I was nearly 100% sure it wasn't a typo - as I have total confidence in your English and it was first thing in the morning GG! Typos in the evening are far easier to understand :wink:
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Sent out Christmas cards to previous guests and our regulars. Have so far got three bookings and 2 pending enquiries. Not a bad return! Didn't include any newsletter. Just a Christmas card with a short message saying "hope to see you in 2008" - or more personalised if appropriate. It can work.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Might they have booked anyway Christine? Whatever's the answer, well done. Getting return guests is lovely for a number of reasons, so I guess I haven't totally dismissed the idea of a memory jogger - just need to decide what, when, and to whom!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've just had 2 repeat bookings without Christmas cards :D
enid

Post by enid »

I do very well with repeat bookings. I do a January newsletter thing - in the French tradition and I send one to past guests and a shorter one to enquirers. Has brought a couple of bookings in years past but always brings some nice contact e mails. i like this idea as it gets to people after the Christmas rush.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Obviously different views on the (business!) value of sending Christmas cards to previous guests. Our pending enquiry from the Christmas card mailing is now a booking :lol: .

Like many LHM members, we have a healthy level of repeat bookings (usually 50 - 70% each year) and GG is right - the Chrismas card bookings might well have tried to book anyway. But by prompting them to think in January about coming back to one of our cottages, we're trying to avoid the situation where they enquire in March or April and the weeks they want are already booked. I would always prefer to have a repeat booking on the basis that we know them and they know where they are coming to. And hopefully the Christmas card or New Year card makes them feel a bit "loved".
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Obviously different views on the (business!) value of sending Christmas cards to previous guests. Our pending enquiry from the Christmas card mailing is now a booking .
Well whatever views people have, and I think its nice that its varied.
You seem to be happy doing it, and even happier with the result.So thats great!!
Always nice to hear what works for people. :)
Stu

Post by Stu »

Christine Kenyon wrote:Obviously different views on the (business!) value of sending Christmas cards to previous guests. Our pending enquiry from the Christmas card mailing is now a booking :lol: .

Like many LHM members, we have a healthy level of repeat bookings (usually 50 - 70% each year) and GG is right - the Chrismas card bookings might well have tried to book anyway. But by prompting them to think in January about coming back to one of our cottages, we're trying to avoid the situation where they enquire in March or April and the weeks they want are already booked. I would always prefer to have a repeat booking on the basis that we know them and they know where they are coming to. And hopefully the Christmas card or New Year card makes them feel a bit "loved".
Absolutely bang on, and the very reason why we do it! Nice to see you back Christine.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Christine Kenyon wrote:and GG is right - the Chrismas card bookings might well have tried to book anyway. But by prompting them to think in January about coming back to one of our cottages, we're trying to avoid the situation where they enquire in March or April and the weeks they want are already booked. I would always prefer to have a repeat booking on the basis that we know them and they know where they are coming to.
OK, I can see the value in that argument Christine...