Buying privately - why is it so hard?

If you're buying or selling, tell others about it here. Or ask other owners for advice.
Jimbo

Buying privately - why is it so hard?

Post by Jimbo »

Having sold our gite complex privately, we're working hard to see if it's possible to buy privately as well. I've nothing against property agents, many of whom do a good job for their clients. A lot of buyers, too, particularly those moving to a new country, need the level of legal and language support that good agents should provide. It's just that I'd like the option of dealing directly with property owners, if I choose, without the intervention of an agent. So what's it like at the coal face?

Well, it's tough, to be honest, to winkle out properties on offer privately, such is the stranglehold of agencies. There are a couple of internet portals that allow you to search for private owners. Google produces the odd gem. Internet forums in your chosen area are another source. Newpapers, freesheets and shop window ads sometimes work. But, mostly, it's talk, talk and network, network. Like fury.

But, if you're persistent, reasonably confident that you can handle the legal stuff and enjoy the thrill of the chase, the savings can be very worthwhile. Why pay a third party a lot of hard-earned dosh to do something you can do for yourself? My impression, when I speak to private owners, is that they're keen to sell immediately and willing to negotiate on price. My impression, when I speak to agencies, is that the property is 'priced to sell', the owner is in no hurry to move and that I'd be wasting my time to think otherwise. Err ... doesn't quite add up.

Wondered if others on the forum had had experience of buying privately and had any useful advice to offer. I think there's a huge hole in the marketplace for a blue-chip internet portal where private owners can interface with private buyers. Or maybe I just haven't found it.

Jim
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Seems to be few private sales on the following site:-

http://www.pap.fr
Cheers
PC
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Might be worth looking at

http://www.leboncoin.fr

Bobby