Borderline? And if a scam, they're getting better at it!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Normandy Cow

Borderline? And if a scam, they're getting better at it!

Post by Normandy Cow »

I can usually spot a scam straight away, but I'm unsure about this one. What do you think?
Dear Mr & Mrs S****,
I am interested in booking Le Gaillon 19 April through 1 May, 2008.

I will be travelling alone, and attending a seminar about 20km NE of you from 1st May. My main criteria for accommodation are peace and quiet, and of course, location.

I will be flying into Charles de Gaulle, then catching a train, then coach, then taxi from Forges-les-Eaux. I will be relying on public transport as the thought of driving in Europe makes me a bit nervous.

Best regards,
Anna F****
Pearl Beach, NSW Australia
*******@yahoo.com.au
At first I thought it was genuine, but there are a couple of things that are ringing alarm bells:
1. If she is attending a seminar from 1st May, why does she want to book from 19th April to 1st May?
2. I can't work out how/why anyone would get a train and then a coach to Forges-les-Eaux. I'm not aware of any public coach services.

These are both very minor things, but somehow it all seems a bit weird. If it is a scam, then we should be afraid, very afraid - because "her" English is much better than any other scams I've received... :?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi NC,
Im not sure it is,if so ,as you say theyre getting better. :roll:

Theyve used more detail than normal, addressing the enquiry to you, and listing the name of your accommodation.
Usually as you know, its very vague.I want to stay at your place/accommodation. As they dont even know what you are offering, as they scammed so many.
It will be interesting to see what happens next,keep us posted wont you.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It doesn't sound like a scam to me, unless it is a very good one. Most scammers don't go into detail about the name of your place or the nearest town. Keep us posted NC!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Interestingly a few years back I was attending a conference in Barcelona, and we decided en famille to drive down through France and spend a couple of weeks at a self-catering villa prior to the conference, which was residential. So that solves your dates question.

BUT. I certainly didn't communicate any of the above info to the owner as it wasn't relavant to the rental.

So, I can certainly see why your alarm bells are ringing. Its symptomatic of scammers to open up with TMI !

Yes, this looks like a good un, but I'd also feel uncomfortable and expect it to turn sour soon (i.e. overpayment offered)....
Do keep us posted.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Well, Pearl Beach certainly exists in Oz - and Aussies tend to be more open than some - I'm forever giving TMI!! :oops:

I think she's legit - and as e-Richard says, maybe she wants a bit of R and R before the conference, for which accommodation is supplied?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

My vote

SCAM

Too much personal info, they aren't requesting accomodation and not asking for a price.

If it's not a scam then they are very, very odd

Chianti
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Chianti wrote:If it's not a scam then they are very, very odd
Well, they are Australian. Does that suggest anything ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not biting e-R!!

Chianti, trust me, she's not odd unless I am too* - and surely the price is visible on NC's website?

* no rude remarks please!
Chianti wrote:they aren't requesting accomodation
She says she's interested in booking Le Gaillon - isn't that a request for accommodation? :)
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I'm now 99% sure that it is genuine!

This is my reply:
Dear Anna,

Thank you for your enquiry. Yes, Le Gaillon is available for that period, at a cost of £740 for the 2 weeks.

However, I do not think that it will be an ideal place for you to stay if you are going to rely on public transport. Where exactly is your seminar? Once I have this information, I can advise you where the best place to stay would be.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
And 40 minutes later I got this:
Dear A****,

The seminar is located at Moulin de Breteuil, Route T*****, M*******.

Last night my husband encouraged me to hire a car because I am older, on my own, toting 2 pieces of luggage, and (sadly) I do not speak French.

If you have other suggestions for quiet and peaceful, self-catering gites, I will look at those as well. Since I will now be hiring a car, the accommodation does not need to be near the venue, as I will be checking out and staying at the venue for the duration of the seminar.

Thank you for your consideration of my situation, and your assistance over-and-above anything I would have expected.
Best regards,
Anna *****
So this was my reply:
Dear Anna,

Much as I would love to take your booking (and your money!), I don’t think it is the ideal solution for you as a lady on your own. Much as I love Le Gaillon, I would not want to stay there on my own. It is very isolated and I would be a bit scared! It’s also quite big and I don’t think you would need to rent such a big place. I understand you want peace and quiet (which you would certainly get there!), but maybe this is a step too far…

Do you absolutely want self-catering? Because an alternative would be to stay at a chambre d’hotes (bed and breakfast), and I can certainly recommend this one: ******** It’s about 20 minutes drive North-West of M******.

It is run by a very nice couple, R** and C****, and they also do evening meals – I can vouch that R** is an excellent chef. And it would still be cheaper than staying in a gite.

I hope that this is of assistance, otherwise let me know and I will think of some other suggestions.

All the best,
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There are a lot of gites available in April/May for well under £300 per week, NC! I think it is a bit misleading to say that ch d'hotes would be cheaper than a gite, at that time of year.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Clearly it isn't a scam, but just to say that last year I had a booking just like this - staying a week close to the place where a doctor was attending a seminar the following week. It makes sense that people attending a seminar somewhere nice might tack on some holiday before or after. Watch out for christian conventions though...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Normandy Cow wrote:I'm now 99% sure that it is genuine!
Nerny nerny ner to all you faithless ones! :lol: A lovely reply to her NC and if she doesn't book, I bet she'll be back with a team of Aussie friends one day!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Well I'll eat my hat, it's right next to me now. It was so awkwardly worded but then some people.............

Paul may I have that wine now please, it might make my hat slightly more palatable.

Chianti :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Maybe you'll develop a taste for them Chianti - the straw ones are best .... 8)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Chianti,

Your a sly one! I think the Vino is on you......one decent bottle of Barolo please :D
Cheers
PC