honeymooners

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
tansy

honeymooners

Post by tansy »

Just had this request in today - perfect English - perfect request - asked to pay credit card - seemed sensible... until he said it was 3 couples on honeymoon?!
it's all a learning curve!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Yep. Had the same thing, but I had some time on my hands so decided to have a laugh.

Initial Enquiry -

Greetings,

I inquiry for reservations for 3 couples coming for their honey moon
at your property,I would like you to get back to me with the following.

1. The availability of the dates
2. The Daily cost for the required dates
3. The total cost for the length of their stay.
4. Do you accept credit card payment.

The arrival date for the couples will be 5th June and they will
depart on 20th June 2008 ,Their stay will last for 15 days.

do get back to me with the requirements as stated above.

Kindest Regards,
Dr William Nelson

Tel: +447045766679
Mobile: +447045766674

My alarm bells were already ringing, I know it's a scam, but decided to reply with this -

Dr. Nelson,

many thanks for your enquiry.

The daily cost for three couples here would be €1500, that would total €22,500 for the duration of your stay. The cost does include bed linen, gas & electricity for reasonable consumption. Payment is in cash only, in euro denominations and is payable 12 weeks prior to arrival.

Could I ask where you saw our advertisement? Was it in the January edition of Condé Naste Traveller, or our Telegraph advertisement? If you'd like to take advantage of our Honeymooners Special at the above price, please do let us know.

Thanks again for your enquiry, we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Regards,

Michael & Minnie Souris.

Imagine my delight when this came in -

Hello Michael & Minnie Souris,

I am glad to tell you that we have concluded payment with the couples.However we are going to send you the credit card details that will cover the cost of our accommodation,and the necessary arrangement for the couples.

Moreover, we have also made arrangements with a Logistic car hiring firm who will supply the couples with cars they will use during their stay.

So once you are in receipt of it,confirm the amount of {€ 8,000.00), in your account then deduct the cost of your services € 3,000.00. DEPOSIT and send € 5,000.00 via Western Union Transfer to the Logistics traveling/car hiring rental agent whose information will be forwarded to you once this is confirmed.So confirm this and provide me with your details as stated below.

(1) YOUR FULL NAME :
(2) ADDRESS:
(3) PHONE NUMBERS: for office records.

so that we can forward the visa card to you.

Also the names of the couples are listed below,

Mr. and Mrs Smith Ray
Mr. and Mrs Dimson Anisi
Mr. and Mrs Fabian kew

I also hope the stay of the couples will be made comfortable.

Kindest Regards,
Dr William Nelson

Tel: +447045766679
Mobile: +447045766674

So, off we went again with this -

Hello again,

I think you have made a mistake. It is you who needs to pay us €22,500 by the middle of April. We do not pay for car-hire on behalf of guests, nor do we (as we stated in our earlier e-mail) take credit cards.

I'm afraid that you must send us a deposit of 50% of the rental cost immediately to reserve the rooms for your guests before we can continue. That can only be paid by cash.

Therefore the deposit payable under the Terms & Conditions of your binding confirmation of booking will be €11,250.00. Once we receive the money, we'll be in touch.

Regards,

Michael & Minnie Souris.

So far, nothing. :cry: I was relying on that cash for a new lens or two...and maybe an A3 printer.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

:wink: :lol: :lol:
I was relying on that cash for a new lens or two
Anychance on you posting some more of your photos/pictures for us all to enjoy Stu. Would be a great start to the New Year!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

oh a wonderful reply ... shall I answer and double the costs?....I can just see these chaps all in their internet cafes in deepest darkest Africa shaking their heads... :lol:
it's all a learning curve!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Stu,

I recently played a similar game with the same result - So far, nothing. What a surprise.

Alan
Stu

Post by Stu »

I'm neither surprised or angry at the moment Alan. I did this purely out of devilment, and to see how far it'd go. I'd even be up for meeting these shites somewhere like Paris, just to berate them in public, and waste their cash & time in the process!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Stu wrote:I'm neither surprised or angry at the moment Alan. I did this purely out of devilment, and to see how far it'd go. I'd even be up for meeting these shites somewhere like Paris, just to berate them in public, and waste their cash & time in the process!
Like you, I thought it might be fun to confront them with their own methods but sadly they pissed off.

Alan