help with scams

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
aduggan

help with scams

Post by aduggan »

I have two emails from different people that I think may be scams. ONe is from India for a conference for 4 weeks and the other is from John Thomas in England on business for two weeks, both of them the language is terrible, and they are both asking to be able to pay in advance through a french bankers draft cheque. They say that as soon as I receive the cheque, I should email them and cash it to make sure it clears.

I am sure they are scams and to keep away, but I just would like someone to let me know how this scam works. Maybe I am being thick and naive, but I would love to know this, maybe others would too.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Cheque will arrive for an amount far in excess of what you want for your property. You will cash the cheque, and they are hoping you will send them back the extra cash before you realise that the cheque is made of rubber.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

BTW, don't touch these two with a ten foot barge pole. Definitley scammers.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Definitely a scam Amanda.

They 'overpay' you with a dodgy draft, or cheque and then tell you it isn't a problem, just send them the balance. Usually. There are variations on a theme. A good marker, as you point out is the use of English (or lack of).

It's also suspicious that they want to pay a) by banker's draft and b) by French banker's draft.

I could be wrong, but I'm not even sure the French 'do' a banker's draft?

Steer clear!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Sorry Helen! Great minds etc. :oops:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Agree with previous comments.

Another clue:

I can't believe that anyone in England is actually called "John Thomas", and if they were unlucky enough to have been christened that way, they would have changed their name by deed poll by the time they were old enough :wink: :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just what I was thinking NC :wink: :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Normandy Cow wrote:Agree with previous comments.

Another clue:

I can't believe that anyone in England is actually called "John Thomas", and if they were unlucky enough to have been christened that way, they would have changed their name by deed poll by the time they were old enough :wink: :lol:
One of my Dad's friends was called John Thomas (really!) so yes, they do exist, but you have to wonder about the soundness of mind of the parents.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I have a cousin called John Thomas.