Deducting from the Security Deposit

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Beanie

Deducting from the Security Deposit

Post by Beanie »

Well, I suppose it had to finally happen at some point where we'd get a group in who wouldn't respect our home and leave it in a filthy state with items broken and lost.

The cleaner took DOUBLE the usual amount of time to clean (12 wo/man hours after 1 week's stay !) - only just finishing in time for the next guests because she shipped in a friend half way through.

They've 'lost' all the toboggans and snow 'trays' that we've only had in for 2 weeks.

Divertor knob in bathroom has been broken off and towel rail yanked off the wall.

What gets our goat (sorry GG & MG) the most, is that they didn't say anything to anyone, despite the clause in our Rental Agreement that clearly states they need to. We do have another clause that talks about cleaning and the state we expect the place left in and if it's not, sums will be deducted, which I'm grateful for.

We've never had to make any deductions before (even when cleaning has gone over (but not by this much) and we've had minor damage - if they let us, or the caretaker, know at the time, we're very pragmatic about these things usually).

The other annoying thing is that this was the the last remaining week we had left in the season and we discounted it - in hindsight rather too hastily - and knocked off £250, so they had a bargain.

I have to say there was something about them that made me wary at the outset. To the point that I sent them a note and at the bottom mentioned that we loved our place and it was very precious to us (which I've NEVER felt the need to do before). He even responded back to that saying that 'they'd take good care of it'.

They texted as they left, saying they'd had a lovely time and would be booking again !

Have just sent a 'considered' email asking for their comments and any idea where the toboggans might be as our current guests have none to use and will need to allow the plumber in this week.

There's no way a penny is going back to them until we've had all the costings back and we'll then only return the balance. (OH is all for keeping all of it but I've said that's not really cricket - although knowing the price of Swiss tradesman, it might actually come to it !).

I know that in the grand scheme of things these are very minor things and fortunately things are still working for this week's guests. However, it does rather take the shine off when you have to spend much of the weekend going backwards and forwards trying to sort things out. Then no doubt there will be wrangling over the money.

However, all this ranting is purely my way of saying - ONE SHOULD ALWAYS TAKE A SECURITY DEPOSIT !!

Right, rant over.

:evil:
enid

Post by enid »

I'm so sorry that you've had this experience. I think you should listen to your husband!!!!!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

it'll be interesting to hear what they have to say as well :o
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Beanie, that's dreadful - so disappointing, as you have a spectacular property. It's interesting isn't it that you had a degree of 'woman's intuition' about this group. I'm really angry for you and it's such a horrible situation to sort too. ACK!! But take comfort from the fact that the likelihood of it happening again in the near future is very low indeed.

Bon courage,
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so sorry this happened. I only ever take security deposits for big groups as their behaviour is generally worse than smaller parties. Get the costings, list them out for your ex-guests as soon as possible, then return the balance. The thing I did wrong when this happened to me was procrastinate too long about how much to charge them, which put me on a back foot. Best to do it sooner rather than later.

Edited on advice of a grammatical goat whose English is better than mine!
Last edited by la vache! on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Thanks Guys. I'll keep you posted on how things progress.

:?

(Enid, do you realise, you are the only 'human' amongst this current group - all animals and vegetables :) )
fibi

Post by fibi »

Beanie, lovely chalet and very clever website!

Its my guess that your guests will not accept that they left the chalet in an unacceptable way.

Write them a letter identifying all the shortfalls with receipts for the extra work if possible and a cheque with whatever is left of their deposit - consider deducting an "admin" fee to cover your time/extra wine consumption. Then forget it! You are most unlikely to get another group as bad for at least 4
years- one bad guest party every 4 years is my scientific calculation!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I've still got to face this one :? apart from a dirty oven, but I wonder if taking photos of the offending items is a good idea? maybe with a date stamp??
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Beanie I am so sorry, how awful for you. I really feel for you , how horrible to have your lovely house treated in such a way.

You've done well to keep your head in the correspondence, but rant away here!! You don't have to look far to see the real losers in this situation so take heart :) I'm glad you have your T & Cs sorted at least. Hope it get resolved easily....
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Beanie,

I've just been browsing your chalet website - both are gorgeous! I'm always at a loss to understand how anyone could be less than ultra-careful of a property that has obviously been so lovingly furnished and equipped. What a disappointing bunch of peeps, and with the discount, too :roll: I think you really must keep some or all of the security deposit. As LV says, the sooner you can let them know how much you'll be deducting, the better. Best make it hefty, just in case they're still thinking about rebooking :roll:

RR
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

fibi wrote:You are most unlikely to get another group as bad for at least 4 years- one bad guest party every 4 years is my scientific calculation!
That means I'm due one again this year!! :shock:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Beanie

Can I ask how much your security deposit is and in the circumstances is it enough or would you need to consider increasing it in light of your experience?
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Beanie - I'm so sorry to hear about this. It really leaves a sour taste doesn't it. We've had the occasional experience where we've been irritated that the place was not left as we asked, but not yet had the type of situation you've had.

I guess you won't be having them back then?
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Jenroy wrote:Beanie

Can I ask how much your security deposit is and in the circumstances is it enough or would you need to consider increasing it in light of your experience?

Hi Jenroy

It's £500, so pretty hefty already. No, wouldn't go any higher - this is higher than we originally thought we might get people to agree to, but in fact we've never had any problems with people paying it upfront. We try to make a speedy repayment too and up until now have never withheld a bean (:lol:)

Beanie
fibi

Post by fibi »

TP - photos with date stamps don't work- you can set digital cameras to whatever date you want(as I was told by my recent guests from hell!). I would go for the highest deposit possible(total about turn caused by recent guests) £500 is not too much with a property like Beanies- the more the better IMHO.

When renting out my own family home I take £500 and would never think of reduicing it but I take no deposit for the holiday homes- its all about the risk-scenario- what the worst can happen to my holiday cottages maybe £300/£500 of damge as against £1000s with my home!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.