BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Latest VPN that I'm trialling offers servers in 12 countries (including UK, Canada, Spain and France), allowing one to access live TV from each country (plus downloads, software, music etc.). Rock solid uptime so far, but needs a week or two to confirm reliability.

I assume VPN offers protection for Torrent downloads, but it would need a guru to confirm.

MG
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I've answered a few enquiries (see above) on this thread, but you'll have to check your PMs to see them. Alternatively, you can email me direct at swissrent @ gmail dot com.

MG
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

New VPN service now available, and I'm keen for anyone outside the UK to try it out and report. Easy set-up, reliable and good full-screen for TV.

4 week trial, no charge to LMHers - no catch (honest). Windows, Mac and iPhone - (Linux maybe) and no software/toolbars to download.

MG

(TV Catchup Live is down today, so Turkish Formula 1 is available here via the above VPN) or one other channel on request.
F.F.

Post by F.F. »

Mountain Goat wrote:New VPN service now available, and I'm keen for anyone outside the UK to try it out and report. Easy set-up, reliable and good full-screen for TV.

4 weeks, no charge - no catch (honest). Windows, Mac and iPhone - (Linux maybe) and no software to download.

MG

(TV Catchup Live is down today, so Turkish Formula 1 is available here via the above VPN) or one other channel on request.
So that people can try it please give them a link to this new VPN service. I might even give it a try.

As for today? I’ll shortly be watching the Turkish GP on a 36 inch TV requiring no set-up and giving rock solid reliability.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

FF, just send me a PM, and I'll send you the latest newsletter I've written, with several alternative solutions, depending where you are, what sort of connection you've got, what op. system you use, what you want to access and in which country.

Yes, I do declare an interest, and hopefully, with as many LMHers testing it as possible, we'll come up with the best service for ourselves; there's a lot of flaky stuff out there.

There are, of course, many other uses for a VPN: anyone who needs encrypted secure access to the internet for a start, not just for geographically restricted broadcast services and software distributors. It can even be used for joining forums anonymously - can you imagine that? 8)

Lucky you with Formula 1, some of us aren't so fortunate. At the moment I'm sorting out access for Singapore and Oz, which isn't as straightforward.

MG
F.F.

Post by F.F. »

I’ve sent you a PM but all it says is that I am based in England and/or France, I am on broadband and I use a wireless network of 3 PC’s running Windows XP Professional.

I’m sure a Virtual Private Network has many uses for many people but I’m not one of them, e.g. I have no need for anonymous IP addresses.

If VPN works over ADSL why should there be any problems in Singapore, Oz or indeed anywhere?

My interest is only in the possibility of receiving TV channels on my PC’s.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You'll see in my PM reply that to send a month's VPN trial I need some more information from you.

If VPN works over ADSL why should there be any problems in Singapore, Oz or indeed anywhere?

Different countries have various restrictions on blocking and controlling their ISPs' traffic. You may have read reports on Burma, China and the Middle East.

You may not need a fully featured VPN - have you tried the various IP manipulators? They're dire for my needs, slow your browsing to a crawl, unreliable and involve alien software, but if that's all you are trying to achieve, give one a go.

MG
F.F.

Post by F.F. »

Mountain Goat wrote:You'll see in my PM reply that to send a month's VPN trial I need some more information from you.

Different countries have various restrictions on blocking and controlling their ISPs' traffic. You may have read reports on Burma, China and the Middle East.

You may not need a fully featured VPN - have you tried the various IP manipulators? They're dire for my needs, slow your browsing to a crawl, unreliable and involve alien software, but if that's all you are trying to achieve, give one a go.

MG
I have no interest in being part of a Virtual Private Network. I was simply responding to your request for people outside the UK to try the product you are associated with.
New VPN service now available, and I'm keen for anyone outside the UK to try it out and report. Easy set-up, reliable and good full-screen for TV.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It's not easy to see how you can try out a VPN if you don't wish to use one.

Perhaps like wanting to fly to New York, but not wanting to use an aeroplane?

I'm 'associated' with several VPN solutions, and my aim was to get the more, er, straightforward LMHers, to offer constructive feedback on these products, and fortunately they have.

MG
F.F.

Post by F.F. »

Mountain Goat wrote:It's not easy to see how you can try out a VPN if you don't wish to use one.

Perhaps like wanting to fly to New York, but not wanting to use an aeroplane?
Maybe so but if I wanted to go to New York I would want to compare the alternative ways of doing so and what each of them had to offer me before I embarked on a test flight.
I'm 'associated' with several VPN solutions, and my aim was to get the more, er, straightforward LMHers, to offer constructive feedback on these products, and fortunately they have.
OK but I think I’m being very straightforward. I’m asking - what products are you talking about? Give me the links and I will have a look at what they have on offer and I will give you the constructive feedback you are asking for.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

FF

You've just explained, via PM, that you have no use for a VPN, nor want to watch TV on your PC, and you're well catered for by satellite and conventional services. That's clear, your decision and makes a lot of sense.

Why are we wasting time discussing your access to a service you have no intention of using?

Offering the use to LMHers of a high-quality, encrypted VPN, without charge, for a month, with full technical support is a reasonably generous offer, but for obvious security reasons the identity, and a few basic details of the user have to be known by the provider. It's not forthcoming from you, as you've made very clear.

Can I direct you to something a bit more rewarding? The duvet stud thread perhaps? Fluffy v coarse towels? Your contribution would be more than welcome.

MG
F.F.

Post by F.F. »

Mountain Goat wrote:FF

You've already explained, via PM, that you have no use for a VPN, nor want to watch TV on your PC, and you're well catered for by satellite. That's clear, and your decision and makes a lot of sense.

Why are we wasting time discussing your access to a service you have no intention of using?

Offering the use to LMHers of a high-quality, encrypted VPN, without charge, for a month, is a reasonably generous offer, but for security reasons the identity, and a few basic details of the user have to be known by the provider. It's not forthcoming from you, as you've made very clear.

Can I direct you something a bit more rewarding? The duvet stud thread perhaps? Fluffy v coarse towels? Your contribution would be more than welcome.

MG
Why the confrontational and sarcastic comments? I responded to your request for help and I am still prepared to offer help if you are prepared to be open about what products are you talking about.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Fed up not being able to watch the Apprentice (whaaaat??) so would be very interested - any idea of minimum broadband speed requirements? We're out in the sticks on a minimum config (1 Mb, I think...)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RR, current favourite VPN needs a min. of 500kbs download, but speed will have an effect on the quality of the picture, and whether you can have full-screen or feed to a conventional TV.

That is the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Rab? :lol:

The current 4-week trial deal is still open, with users from Oz to Canada via Cyprus - just a PM and I'll get you going....

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You've missed the Apprentice, Rab, it finished last night.
I suppose another advantage of VPN is that I could get rid of the TV's, install screens and laptops instead and save myself the 315€ I pay in TV licenses for the gites each year. I'd have to do a test first as I only have 1Mo and it isn't enough sometimes for videos on Youtube.