BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Just watched the place in the sun thing on Corsica. You must get terribly bored with all that sun, blue sky, gorgeous beaches and beautiful scenery, Paul, non? :mrgreen:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Ros,

Thanks very much for that useful link. A timely reminder from you - and e-Richard, too - to keep an eye on download entitlement - or face a stiff bill, apparently!

Ah well, with LMH to keep me out of mischief, I may never get time to watch anything :roll:
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

La Vache wrote:Just watched the place in the sun thing on Corsica. You must get terribly bored with all that sun, blue sky, gorgeous beaches and beautiful scenery, Paul, non? :mrgreen:
Pretty dreadful for us, too.

Only 300 - 330 sunny days per year here so not the best in the world, or even France ?

www.the-france-page.com/france/annual-hours-of-sun.html

But I love it !

However, I used to live in Sweden. Maybe I deserve a bit of sun ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Big Sis.. wrote:http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=24 ... _gmtv_1680

Just a note of caution if youre watching tv shows on your computer.this was on Breakfast Telly today!!
Watching is not a problem - only if you are downloading and your package is limited.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Cassis wrote:Watching is not a problem - only if you are downloading and your package is limited.
Sorry, Cassis, I think you are mistaken there. Watching does seriously use up your gigabytes.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

oh no - is that true, Richard? I'd really like the definitive answer. I was just going to prop up my PC in front of the ironing board :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

It Does Rabbit :wink: would I lie to you.... :)

which is why i posted the link yesterday !!!

You can still watch it of course, just make sure you upgrade if need be!!.as Cassis said. just check to be sure.......
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:oops: Tsk. I'm not paying attention, I can see - will hop off and have another look.... :wink:
pete

Post by pete »

how does this work with radio then ? the download watching bit - we have listened to bbc radios for months now using the iplayer, I know this is okay for radio abroard but does it download ? like the tv programs ? and use up your allowances ?
or do we just have a large allowance ? cos mrs p leaves it on all day sometimes

pete
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think the radio is a problem.
"One hour of viewing is 320 megabytes downloaded and 105MB uploaded, which means that it will exhaust a 1 gigabyte cap in 10 hours,"
So you need to be selective about what you watch, RR!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

LV, why does just watching use any upload?

I might have found the solution to this cap business, having just moved my laptop into a room I don't normally use, and with no broadband connection and finding I've got the fastest ever broadband WiFi signal thanks to our neighbour.

He's always got the biggest, fastest, most expensive etc. of anything (so he always tells us) but not quite sure how to handle this.

Is this a sin (2)? Discuss.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:LV, why does just watching use any upload?
One senior BT insider said: 'The iPlayer is a so-called peer-to-peer system. Once you start using it, the BBC uses your computer to distribute its programmes to other people - you don't just download from the BBC, uploads go on all the time too. That really cuts into usage allowances.
:? :? :?
Mountain Goat wrote:I might have found the solution to this cap business, having just moved my laptop into a room I don't normally use, and with no broadband connection and finding I've got the fastest ever broadband WiFi signal thanks to our neighbour.
MG

:lol: :lol: You can be prosecuted MG, be careful
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4721723.stm
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

This peer-to-peer business is important. I assume it only applies to downloading a film, say, to one's PC. Watching a streaming film doesn't involve any uploading?

But having downloaded the BBC download software, there was a setup option to allow peer-to-peer, which could mean (and technically I haven't a clue), that as long as you're connected to the internet, this peer-to-peer thing will suck up anything on your PC that someone else has requested.

In other words, RR (for example) booting up her PC before going to bed (:lol:) will mean that 5,600,000 other punters will start downloading her films through the night, and up to cap limit in no time.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Re stealing neighbour's broadband, a little notice saying this is a WiFi Free area will deal with that (triggers Mrs G's migraines). I think. Rather Ken Livingstonesque?

MG
is there WiFi in jail?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

this is quite explanatory
It seems as long as you don't download the iPlayer software and just watch on line, you use around 0.6MB for an hour's viewing. That sounds better to me - I've only got 1MB and with that little bandwidth would be unable to watch much at all if it was 320MB per hour as I previously quoted.
I'm sure there is wifi in jail, MG, if your KL trick doesn't wash with the cops!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Time to get technical:

When you download a big file from the Internet a series of digital bitsandbobs thingies somes winging down your internet line and ends up as a big file on your hard drive.

When you watch a streaming video, a series of digital bitsandbobs thingies somes winging down your internet line and ends up in a viewer of sorts (e.g. RealPlayer or similar), but does not create a huge file on your hard drive.

When you listen to the radio on Internet, a series of digital bitsandbobs thingies somes winging down your internet line and ends up in a player of sorts (e.g. RealPlayer or similar), but does not create a big file on your hard drive.

Even when you read this post on LMH, a series of digital bitsandbobs thingies somes winging down your internet line and ends up in your browser so that you can read it.

Its this string of digital bitsandbobs thingies coming down the line from a server to your computer that is counted towards your download limit or cap regardless of where it ends up or what it looks like to you. Pictures, words, sounds are all the same - just a string of digital thingies, and your ISP couldn't care and cannot really tell what they are - the ISP just sees a series of digital 1s and 0s. I won't go into the detail of how you see them differently, but suffice to say, all that intelligence is on your computer and the ISP is not concerned (from a billing point of view).

Of interest is the point that it takes very few digital thingies to display this text in your browser, but takes gazillions more digital thingies to display just 1 minute of video in your chosen player, and in between, it takes quite a few digital thingies to play some sounds from the radio - far far fewer than video, but many more than text.

In the next installment we'll discuss peer-to-peer which throws up some new issues that I hadn't thought of.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !