Is this a scam?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Kersh

Is this a scam?

Post by Kersh »

I was concerned about this request when I first saw it but now i'm pretty dubious. It looks like a scam to get my personal details.

Here's the conversation i've had, guest first:

----------------- Guest -----------------

i am interested in renting your place for our honeymoon for a month,myself and my wife just got married,i would like to know if your place is still available.let me know.thanks
Todd

----------------- Me ------------------

Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in Apartment Graukogel.

We still have availability at the apartment. Please tell me when you need to arrive and when you need to leave and I will check if we can offer you the apartment for 1 month.

------------------ Guest ----------------

Thanks for your response.i would like to have your place from april 1st to the 15th,i would like to know if your place would be available and also the toaal cost of our stay at your place for those periods.thanks

------------------- Me ------------------

The apartment is still available between those dates. We normally only rent the apartment from Friday to Friday but I will check with my local manager to see if he is happy to prepare the apartment on a Tuesday. I will speak to him this weekend and get back to you.

The cost of the apartment is 1220 Euro for the 2 weeks you have requested. There is also a local tourist tax (kurtax) of 1.67 Euro per person per day. We will collect this and pay it to the local council. As it's your honeymoon, I assume there will just be 2 people for your stay so that would be 46.76 Euro. We also require a 200 Euro damage deposit that we will return to you after your stay.

If you want to proceed with the booking please let me know. I can also give you the price in pounds if you are based in the UK? Can you also send me the names and ages of the guests, and your address so I can complete an invoice for you.

---------------------------- Guest ------------------

i just received your mail.your place seems perfect us and also the price,however payment is being made by my office as a wedding gift for myself and my wife,so i spoke to them regarding the price and they gave the ok,so kindly forward me your full details(full name,contact address and phone number where you can be reached)so the payment can be sent out to you.i look forward in reading from you.thanks

---------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

You are about receive a cheque for far more than the cost of the rental................in other words, yes it's a scam
Cheers
PC
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

That's what I thought, thanks Paul.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

...and initially he said a month - then it changed to a fortnight. Not significant in itself but together with other signs ...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
luisortiz

This one is similiar

Post by luisortiz »

williams dave <today_autos007@yahoo.com>
HI,
I will like to rent this house for 21 days for friends who will come
there for honeymoon its my gift to them since i cannot attend their
wedding. Let me know if there is any vacancy for the
april 2008 get back to with your weekly rent .
Regards

NB ..........GET BACK TO ME WITH THE TOTAL COST OF 30 DAYS, WILL YOUR LIKE THE PAYMENT BY CHECK OR CREDIT CARD
http://www.villaorleanspr.com
http:/www.secretgardenartgallerypr.com/
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Gets around doesn't he! And very generous to his friends too!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Scam, scam, scam.

I've had loads for weddings, recently had 1 from a model wanting to rent my London property for a month, when in fact, it's a farmhouse in Italy, so in the best possible taste I told her to bug-er off and stop wasting my time with scamming. I then looked at my stats to find her looking at my website all the way from Libya.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chianti