Log-in problems

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Woodle

Log-in problems

Post by Woodle »

Confused? You will be...not woodle, but MG, in fact:

Could anyone help with a login problem or had a similar situation?

Having logged in to LMH the first page I go to, whichever it is, logs me out immediately.

Checked with Paolo that I haven't been banned, and assured that I'm still legit, and was given a new password. Same problem.

Using two XPPro laptops, tried both Firefox and IE, tried Mrs G's login, but still nogo.

Clues are: I'm in South Africa using HiSpeed wireless ADSL; similar problem mentioned on the phpBB Help Forum with no solution; can't login to the phpBB Forum as can't see the Catchpa image at all, and they don't reply to emailed tech questions.

Any clues? Probably doing me good.........

MG
How did I post this message? Ah, borrowed Mrs G's account and enlisted Anon........so it works from Europe..........so local ISP problem?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Until you mentioned that you had tried this with more than one laptop, I thought it was a cookie problem. If you have your browser configured to not accept cookies, I don't think you can stay logged in to the forum. But if you're having the same problem with multiple browsers and multiple laptops, it's probably not that.

So: you are on a foreign wireless connection, and no matter the computer, you have this problem. That suggests that it might be some kind of firewall or other strange setting of this wireless network. It could be the ISP itself, I suppose, but that would mean that no one using that particular brand of ADSL could log in to a forum. Not likely, I'd think...

Have you tried using a wired network, e.g. at an internet cafe? Can you plug into the router that is providing the wireless network, and so use a wired connection on the same ADSL line?

Can you log in to other forums or other web accounts? (And is it a secure network? If it's not, maybe you shouldn't be logging in to anything that requires a password.)

Those things would help you troubleshoot.

But, if it is the wireless network acting funny, or even if it's the router's settings (wired OR wireless), you won't be able to fix it unless you are able/allowed to change the settings.

My solution: come home? :lol:
Brooke
Woodle

Post by Woodle »

Brooke,

Thanks so much for the detailed analysis. I haven't had time so far, but I will try in an internet cafe, just out of interest. I don't really want to mess around with the wireless hardware here, as I'm bound to mess things up, though it's tempting.

There's no problem with access to anything else - websites, Gmail etc. and the one thing in the back of my mind is not being able to access the phpbb Forum registration process, as I can't see the Catchpa thingie - so maybe both sites using some unique code common to phpbb?

Through a haze of Sauvignon Blanc their thread ( http://tinyurl.com/2rfoet ) on login problems is a bit beyond me at the moment, and as you say, the real solution's to come home.....

Thanks again. Cold turkey from LMH is instructive - the day opens up - there's life out there....

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Woodle, can you login to SnowHeads?
Have you tried clearing your cache and your authenticated sessions?