I am Paranoid!!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
natcat100

I am Paranoid!!

Post by natcat100 »

Hi

This is my first post on the site, and I have only recently started advertising my apartment in Italy. looking at some of the threads there seems to be a lot of scam enquiries. I am now worried that every email I get will be a scam!
can some one tell me how often they get scam emails or what percentage are scams?

cheers
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi natcat and a warm welcome!

Briefly, very rarely - I think I've had one in nearly 4 years of advertising our property.

They are very easy to identify, by and large. If you missed the Sticky on the subject, it's here:

viewtopic.php?t=2690
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
pete

Post by pete »

and also if in doubt - a note here with the details of the enquiry will help put you right and save you from being taken for a ....

pete
Ju

Post by Ju »

Gascony Goat wrote:
I think I've had one in nearly 4 years of advertising our property.
Gosh GG you get off lightly. We get at least one a month.

Like you say, very easy to idendify in the main. This is our latest example:
Comments: Greeting,
Its very not that easy to look for a long term holidays over the net,i have take a closer look at your property which i saw in Europ Holidays web site, well i guess its will be more O.K if i write you to know about the property in details.
Checking in date will be July 01 08.
Checking out date will be Sep 2008.
Or alternativly if its will not be possible for the 6 months rentals we can as well start the rentals right from Checking in date will be July 01 08.
Checking Out will be Nov 31 08 .
its will be either three months rentals or alternativly six months rentals,for the details about the property.
Firstly about the Locations of the property.
Secondly The cost for the Rental for the choosing dates total price needed maybe for the three months rentals or six months.
Thirdly we required for discount for the cost.
Its shuold not be a problem using a personal Brand New Pc?,We just got married some couple of months ago,so we felt we shuold relocate for three months or alternativly six months,Am from California and my wife is right from Canada Richmond,i will expect to have your answer.i will as well use the google translate you write you in French maybe if you dont understand english better.
Dr Howard.
Note the very poor English, the extended rental period and the lack of specifics. Often they will mention an appartment when you have a house, and they don't ever ask the standard questions relating to your specific property/location.

I agree with pete, if you are in any doubt just post here and we can all help.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Netcat,

You may decide to reply to every enquiry or alternatively try to sort out the wheat from the chaff from the very beginning.

Either way, the attempted scam will very quickly become abundantly clear to you. It’s always somebody who wants to dip their hands into your purse/wallet.

Alan