This one doesn't look like scam but...

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ben McNevis

This one doesn't look like scam but...

Post by Ben McNevis »

... but the phone number given is somebody else's and the somebody else has received a lot of calls!

This morning, I got this enquiry via holidayLettings:
Group size: Adults: 2 Children:
Requesting availability: arriving on 23 Apr 2008 and leaving on 30 Apr 2008

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend are celebrating our anniversary next week, and as a surprise I am taking him away for a week (23rd April to the 29th). I have just booked the flights, but as it is just me footing the bill I am on a very tight budget so trying to find the cheapest accomodation without skimping on quality! Without offending you if your place is free next week, do you offer last minute discounts?

Do you know what the weather is like at this time of the year? Have checked websites but they are never 100% accurate! Do you also arrange transfers? I have paypal or can transfer money directly into your bank account as time is short!!

Looking forward to your reply,
which looks fine BUT I tried phoning the number she gave, and I reached a rather disgruntled lady who has had "a lot" of calls for this Nikki person.

I thought there's nothing to lose so I did send an email reply. I'll wait and see what happens.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sounds like she just put her number down wrong on the email.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Does not look like a scam at all. She's just copied and pasted her enquiry to numerous owners but put the wrong phone number in the original one........................
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I think you're right. I hope so at least. I replied saying it's available but asked her to phone me for information on transfers. Somehow I feel that if I speak to her then I know she's real but I'm not quite sure how that works. She's sent a couple of emails back and promises to phone on Monday. So it seems to be going ahead and I guess that she can't phone while the boyfriend is around.

Then again, when people have an anniversary, they don't normally have a boyfriend!
Cheers, Ben

catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

BenFriman wrote:.

Then again, when people have an anniversary, they don't normally have a boyfriend!
why ever not? we all have anniversaries of important dates in our lives. :D
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

a postscript to this one: They were real and genuine but seem to lead the lives of Laurel and Hardy. On the first day, they broke one of the fans. Well, actually they didn't break it, but a gust of wind blew through the apartment knocking it over.

A couple of nights in to their holiday, they managed to lock the front door from the inside (normal procedure) but then couldn't unlock it and phoned our cleaners at 4 am. I know it's a bit scary if the only exit door won't open, but what were they doing trying to open it at 4 in the morning?

Moral of the story: If people can't even get their own phone number right, have the proverbial barge-pole ready and prepare not to use it.
Cheers, Ben